Feel free to use my Oolite creations

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Micha
Commodore
Commodore

Re: Feel free to use my Oolite creations

Post by Micha »

Amaranth wrote:
1) The Ooniverse is set in a predominantly human-derived colonial environment. Hence human cultural aspects will have been exported to the stars, along with humanity.
That's if you subscribe to the Ooniverse as being the Milky-Way galaxy in the future, instead of "Long Ago, in a Galaxy far far away..." :-D

Each their own; I certainly won't be foregoing the delights of your new textures over a logo decision, and that decision is yours alone!

Looking forward to playing the finished product.
The glass is twice as big as it needs to be.
m4r35n357
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by m4r35n357 »

Micha wrote:
Loving the new textures, although I'd vote for more red-star logo and less hammer-and-sickle, TBH. Or even come up with a brand new logo yourself. Personally I find re-using existing earth logos a bit .. meh.
hmm, I'd be inclined to vote the other way, the star logo looks a bit galcoppey to my eyes . . . ;)
Amaranth
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Amaranth »

Thank you for the feedback. Here's a couple more. All /i need to do is check and correct the orientation of the H&S on the other ships and do the sunray and that's all commie ships reskinned.

The Commie defender

The SLAPU - the station does not render properly. From different angles bits are either mission or the back shows through

On a break
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Beautiful. Really first class texturing. Well Done. Are the textures genuinely "shiny" (specular map? Materials properties?) or just a baked in effect?
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Yes, looks really nice. Good work, Amaranth.

SLAPU rendering (parts showing through) could be z-fighting, specially if you say it happens only from different angles.
Amaranth
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Amaranth »

I am using / amending any specular and illumination maps that already existed for these models. However, going through the plist files, I'll try and see whether I can add in additional lighting maps to the other models. Also I am working on the commie transporter, which I have given a rough riveted steel plate finish.
On a break
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Amaranth wrote:
I am using / amending any specular and illumination maps that already existed for these models. However, going through the plist files, I'll try and see whether I can add in additional lighting maps to the other models. Also I am working on the commie transporter, which I have given a rough riveted steel plate finish.
The current light maps were just a small test from me how they would look. I only added a few for the logo on stations and some cabin lights. It would be an improvement when adding more such effects.

Maybe you want to see them all in Wings3D ? You can get the current models here in Wings3D format. Just add all the textures in this folder with wings3d files and open the models in wings3d.
Mauiby de Fug
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Mauiby de Fug »

Some lovely textures there - including the one on that Cobby! Although it seem to be backwards...
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Very good work. Looking forward to the texture upgrades :)
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
Amaranth
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Amaranth »

Eric Walch wrote:
Amaranth wrote:
The current light maps were just a small test from me how they would look. I only added a few for the logo on stations and some cabin lights. It would be an improvement when adding more such effects.

Maybe you want to see them all in Wings3D ? You can get the current models here in Wings3D format. Just add all the textures in this folder with wings3d files and open the models in wings3d.

Thank you for the link. I will have a play with these. Hopefully I can get to the bottom of a couple of issues, such as mirrored and non mirrored textures. I assume I can use the export from wings 3d to amend which parts of the texturemap wrap which parts of the model too, or amend the texturemap if I decide to amend the model. Will try this over the weekend
On a break
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Amaranth wrote:
Thank you for the link. I will have a play with these. Hopefully I can get to the bottom of a couple of issues, such as mirrored and non mirrored textures. I assume I can use the export from wings 3d to amend which parts of the texturemap wrap which parts of the model too, or amend the texturemap if I decide to amend the model. Will try this over the weekend
In wings it would be easy to see what texture part goes were. Also can you swap the uv map instead of swapping parts of the texture. Looking at al those textures from the oxp, I now see it's a bigger mess than I thought. Some texture is positive and other ships use mirrored textures. And again others are positive but the oxp uses them mirrored on ships. Its better to swap everything in a way that the textures are positive so you can keep working on normal drawings. That makes things easier in future.

I think the problem is also in some of the old tools. The single texture files were converted from dat -> obj with the latest python script. But for some reason that script explicit inverts the x-axis. (I now removed the inversion from my scrips so it will work correct in future). I think i flipped them all to the correct presentation of the original dat files. But I can not be 100% sure that I did not miss one.

I also noticed that some identical designed ships with just an other texture are completely different uv. mapped. That disallows to use just one .dat file and add different textures to it.

The package also contains a ship that misses all textures. But it is never used and has no reference in game. Probably unfinished work that slipped into the oxp. Maybe by dr Nil had plans with it?
Amaranth
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Amaranth »

Being able to look at the models in wings is very useful. Thanks. I have gone through the H&S logos to get them the right way round. Also, I have done the commie workers commuter ship now. In the game, the round windows on the side are illuminated, as are the cockpit windows.

As far as I can tell, the Sunray is not actualy used in the oxp, but it may be possible to rectify this, and I think the untextured sturgeon is a missile.
On a break
Cmdr. Maegil
Sword-toting nut-job
Sword-toting nut-job

Post by Cmdr. Maegil »

You guys are really awesome - you managed to make even the Worker's Commuter look nice!
You know those who, having been mugged and stabbed, fired, dog run over, house burned down, wife eloped with best friend, daughters becoming prostitutes and their countries invaded - still say that "all is well"?
I'm obviously not one of them.
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia (mainly industrial, feudal, TL12)

Post by maik »

Cmdr. Maegil wrote:
You guys are really awesome - you managed to make even the Worker's Commuter look nice!
Yes, it looks even less inviting than before. Good job :lol:
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

The Worker's Commuter should also get an overhaul on how much cargo it can carry.
Like 3000 TC instead of 300 TC.
It is HUGE even compared to an Anaconda!