What's your combat rating?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

What is the combat rating of your highest ranked Commander?

Harmless to above average
14%
Competent
14%
Dangerous
29%
Deadly
26%
Elite
17%

Total votes: 105

Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Re: What's your combat rating?

Post by Smivs »

Definitely worth preserving for posterity, and I'm sure all your friends here will appreciate it. :)
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Rebecca
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Rebecca »

ha! that reminds me of something...

ill admit to being pretty rubbish my best save is average... except when i cheat!!! shouldnt have told me where the save games were :twisted:

R
Becca the Hermit Slayer, and part-time unpredictable avatar assassin.
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Well, I saw the "Right on, Commander!" but was too busy to grab the screenshot. I flew in to Cemaaran on 6399 kills ... 19 baddies later I'm docked and there's a little parcel waiting for me from the FEP.

Shortly after I splashed number 6400 I ran into a pack of particularly robust and aggressive pirates, all of them Fugitives. I wonder if this is something the game throws at everyone when they hit Elite, or if it was just coincidence?
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Disembodied wrote:
Shortly after I splashed number 6400 I ran into a pack of particularly robust and aggressive pirates, all of them Fugitives. I wonder if this is something the game throws at everyone when they hit Elite, or if it was just coincidence?
I've suspected this, even of the original... it's kinda fitting. Get the promotion, then have to fight like hell to make it to a station.
Even after all these years, there's still a little frisson when you get that message.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

I'm Dangerous, a little below 900 kills. Now that I have:
a) MilHUD
b) FlightLog
c) some time

I might get to upping that count a little.
OneoftheLost
Deadly
Deadly

Post by OneoftheLost »

Just hit Poor. :oops:

In my defense, I can't quite decide which game I want to play more, Oolite, or FFE.

Recently I hit Oolite pretty hard, and have been working on my combat skills and rating. I was Average back with my original save, but I decided to restart. I always seem to get distracted! Gotta buckle down, and earn that *Elite*

*EDIT* Ahah! Persistance does pay off! Average.
Profile: Commander Kolt
Ship: Cobra III - Longinus V
Elite Rating:Poor
Makandal
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Makandal »

I am competent, moving smoothly to deadly with around 300+ kills (I think 302 or 312).

I was Elite twice already on Amstrad and on Atari ST. I was dangerous on Oolite before but I lost all the things thanks to a very intelligent "re-imaging" IT guy. (You know, IT people, when you start to have a problem on your PC, they say "I will re-image it...")

I am curious to know who are the one who achieved a status above competent using the standard "non cheat" equipement (without these killit oxp and so on. I deeply hate it, it remove all interest in the game)
There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Makandal: Killit is a joke OXP, done at a time when some people were taking uberness too seriously. I believe the way it's meant to be used is install it once, have a laugh, then remove it.

Going above competent level using standard equipment is not so difficult, as long as you are persistent enough.
Makandal
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Makandal »

From Competent to Dangerous is not too difficult. It is a matter of days if you play 1 h every day. But from Dangerous to Deadly is a LONG LONG way... Not talking about Elite....

For Killit, I took it like that.
There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live.
Break
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Break »

On a slightly related note, I have assembled a collection of hacks and cheat modules for my beloved ArcElite (available here) and from time to time people ask me, regarding this game or some other where I mention cheats - why I bother, and doesn't it defeat the purpose, etc. Here's my logic: the game provides its own entertainment, but from time to time it becomes dull. I don't use cheats for my 'real' progress through a game. I do, however, use cheats for the following: entertainment, exploring the game environment, learning how to do new things or experimenting with new control techniques without fear of death or hindering my progress, finding easter eggs in odd places, and for gathering information and screenshots regarding the game (for my ArcElite fan site, for instance).

This applies equally to any version of Elite as it does to HL2, C&C, Starcraft, or any other game you care to name. In short, using cheats outside the context of actually playing the game in order to complete it properly it useful and fun. I would probably never have found ArcElite's hidden space station in Witchspace, among others, if not for the cheats.
Gold Edition, an ArcElite fan site | ArcElite dev materials | the almighty CSOL
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

another_commander wrote:
Makandal: Killit is a joke OXP, done at a time when some people were taking uberness too seriously. I believe the way it's meant to be used is install it once, have a laugh, then remove it.
Indeed. As its creator I have to say that I never actually used any of the bombs except for play testing that they worked. (And I don't save play tests. It's starting the game, launching, doing whatever test I want to do, and quitting the game.) I have to admit, though, that I occasionally like to use a Killit missile on an object which wouldn't be destructible otherwise. Sometimes I like to blow up a Superhub just for the fun of it. :oops: Whether these instances count towards my rating depends: if I'm play testing anyway, they don't. But every once in a while I get in the mood while playing normally. However, compared to my total kill count of slightly above 14.000, these instances are negligible.
another_commander wrote:
Going above competent level using standard equipment is not so difficult, as long as you are persistent enough.
True. I was ELITE long before I wrote Killit.oxp. Fighting Thargoids in interstellar space and killing the Thargons after the fight was one of my favourite pastimes. Between overlapping systems you could do that practically forever, even in the days when there was no fuel processor and no fuel tanks. You get six kills per normal Thargoid Warship (one for the mother and five for its Thargons). Without OXPs, and in an iron ass Cobra III, you get a manageable amount of Thargoids per misjump (sometimes three, sometimes six or seven). If you do ten consecutive misjumps between overlapping systems you can easily pile up 200 kills or more. And then another couple of kills while flying towards a main station for saving. And then you head back into witchspace.

I have to confess, though, that at times I got a little impatient. So my current total still does contain the carnage of, errmmm..., losing a Q-mine in Tionisla Orbital Graveyard. :oops: Twice. :oops: :oops: :oops: I simply couldn't help it.
Cody

Post by Cody »

Commander McLane wrote:
losing a Q-mine in Tionisla Orbital Graveyard.
Tsk, tsk... how careless of you, McLane.

As mentioned, it's not too difficult to reach Elite rank using only a standard Cobra Mk III with standard kit.
It just takes some time... and good combat skills.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Break
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Break »

El Viejo wrote:
It just takes some time... and good combat skills.
Perseverence over Elite-style timescales is generally not a requirement for today's relatively short and progress-intensive games.
Gold Edition, an ArcElite fan site | ArcElite dev materials | the almighty CSOL
CheeseRedux
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CheeseRedux »

Commander McLane wrote:
losing a Q-mine in Tionisla Orbital Graveyard.
It's a good thing they sell those at the stations next to the graveyard. I guess there's a market for them... :twisted:
"Actually this is a common misconception... I do *not* in fact have a lot of time on my hands at all! I just have a very very very very bad sense of priorities."
--Dean C Engelhardt
Makandal
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Makandal »

Actually, I do love to hack and crack any game and more generally any software but outside the regular "gameplay".

One interesting thing with Oolite is that, during the boring time of space travel in Corporate State or Democracy, you can drink a beer with fried tiger prawns under the bougainville trees of my small garden (I avoid Small Black Bug-Eyed Lobsters, a bit aggressive or Zero-G crickets which tastes like rancid butter with a bitter back-taste)

So progressing in that conditions is not unpleasant at all.

About the Thargoids, I think I will have to download the Thargon oxp because it is very difficult to make a misjump and/or meet them.