What's your combat rating?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

What is the combat rating of your highest ranked Commander?

Harmless to above average
14%
Competent
14%
Dangerous
29%
Deadly
26%
Elite
17%

Total votes: 105

Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: What's your combat rating?

Post by Gimi »

Break wrote:
Makandal wrote:
My grey hair are not due to Oolite but each one is due to a woman.
The real questions are: a) are they all due to the same woman, b) is each hair due to a seperate woman, and c) are you hairy or almost bald?
:lol:

Eagerly awaiting the answers.

This thread is thoroughly derailed!
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
Makandal
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Makandal »

Answer is straight forward and stochastic.
Around 30% are due to one. Another 20% to a second. The 50% remaining are due to many. I should say maybe 5 to 10 per women.
And by the way, grey hair are not for men. A real man has silver hair...

Semantic is all I have remaining...

EDIT: Sorry to derail the thread. How many real hours does it take to move from Dangerous to Deadly ?
There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Makandal wrote:
How many real hours does it take to move from Dangerous to Deadly ?
Depends all on your playing style. We're talking about 2048 kills, or four times as much as it took you to become dangerous in the first place (dangerous = 512 kills, deadly = 2560 kills). (Note: if you already did the Constrictor mission, your actual kill count is only 256, because you were awarded 256 kills for this mission alone.)

So, it's either many hours of slowly moving up the ladder (if you don't want to attack clean traders there are about five to fifteen pirates to kill per system; if you don't mind killing innocents you can get up to 30 or 40 kills per system), or seven visits to the Tionisla Orbital Graveyard (which doesn't take more than ten real minutes) :twisted: .
Break
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Break »

I discovered that in ArcElite the number of police Vipers you need to kill, starting from a completely clean profile, to reach the vaunted status of fugitive, is nine. On the first kill your status becomes "offender" and stays there until the eighth. When you bag your ninth, it changes to "fugitive". And, either by design or by sloppy coding, the number of pirates you have to kill to bring it back down to "offender" is two.
Gold Edition, an ArcElite fan site | ArcElite dev materials | the almighty CSOL
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Break wrote:
I discovered that in ArcElite the number of police Vipers you need to kill, starting from a completely clean profile, to reach the vaunted status of fugitive, is nine.
In Oolite the first attack on a police ship or main station (even accidentally hitting it with your laser) makes you fugitive, regardless what your previous status was. You don't even need to kill the ship, hitting it suffices.
Makandal
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Makandal »

I realize that just now. I was in witchspace after a misjump. Hit a navy ship while helping them against bugs. When I came back, I stayed less than 30 sec before space bar.
There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live.
Mauiby de Fug
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Mauiby de Fug »

Yep! Those guys at the space bar are somewhat tetchy! I've accidentally hit a Viper with my turrets in the middle of coming to the aid of a poor lonesome trader scourged by pirates and not realised, and been evicted for my charity with the aid of gunfire. So generous of them to give me the benefit of the doubt... Luckily, I know a certain be-tentacled GalCop officer in an Anarchy system who can clear up my problems!
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Mauiby de Fug wrote:
Luckily, I know a certain be-tentacled GalCop officer in an Anarchy system who can clear up my problems!
:D

Good to get this feedback. I was always wondering how many players have actually met him.

A follow-up question: do you meet his terms, or have you tried to bargain with him?
Mauiby de Fug
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Mauiby de Fug »

Depends on what he's charging and how desperate I am - I've done both! Bargaining sometimes works, sometimes not. I've a feeling I ought to be able to gauge whether it'll work from the price - I've seen him give a start offer of 8000, 10000 and 12000 Cr. But I can never remember which ones he'll stick to and which ones he'll compromise. Makes for a tense moment seeing if he'll co-operate!

I remember being rather surprised when I first met him. I didn't know what to expect. These days, 'tis part of what makes an Anarchy system so attractive - lots of pirates to hunt (and acquire their cargo!), Space Bars when I'm clean, and dodgy GalCop officials when I'm not!
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Mauiby de Fug wrote:
I've seen him give a start offer of 8000, 10000 and 12000 Cr. But I can never remember which ones he'll stick to and which ones he'll compromise. Makes for a tense moment seeing if he'll co-operate!
Actually it's totally random. The chance of him taking the bargain is a little higher than refusing, regardless of his original demand.
Mauiby de Fug
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Mauiby de Fug »

Hah! That explains why I can't work out the pattern - there isn't one!
CaptSolo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CaptSolo »

Harmless(0). Just started playing and currently trading to outfit my ship. Staying out of spacelanes to avoid traffic. Do not think this technique would work on the C64 version of elite that I played to death nearly 30 years ago.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Hi CaptSolo... welcome to the 'friendliest forum this side of Riedquat'™, and of course, to this great game.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Hi, CaptSolo, and first of all welcome to the boards, and of course to this great game! :D
CaptSolo wrote:
Harmless(0). Just started playing and currently trading to outfit my ship. Staying out of spacelanes to avoid traffic. Do not think this technique would work on the C64 version of elite that I played to death nearly 30 years ago.
And you would be correct there. One of the major improvements of Oolite over Elite is its non-player-centeredness. Back in Elite, all the action would only evolve around you. For instance, other ships (or asteroids) would only be created "on the fly" in your vicinity. Therefore you couldn't go anywhere without meeting other ships. They came into being just because you were there.

Quite contrary in Oolite: the whole system is created the moment you enter it. Other ships are put in the space lanes (and in "vanilla" Oolite without OXPs only there), therefore you won't meet them outside of the space lanes, except one of them would have left the safe lane on its own, and you would happen to come across it. Because that's the second (and even more beautiful) aspect of being not player centered: as soon as the NPCs are created, they start to interact with each other, even if you don't look, and even if you are nowhere close to them. This is why you can see the signs of small and big battles in the distance. The other ships are fighting it out which each other. If you happen to be there, you can join, or may stand on the side line and simply enjoy the show. :o That's one reason why Oolite is superior to Elite. :D
Fatleaf
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by Fatleaf »

And around here we like biting the heads off Jelly Babies and trying to get to Oresrati before the masses flock there and ruin its exclusivity! :wink:
Find out about the early influences of Fatleaf here. Also his OXP's!
Holds the Ooniversal record for "Thread Necromancy"