Appearing, Then Disappearing Rock Hermits

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston, Getafix

cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Re: Appearing, Then Disappearing Rock Hermits

Post by cim »

Commander McLane wrote:
That's not how I understand what Kaks wrote. Thus I'm waiting for a closer explanation about how "consistent" rock hermits have become.
Essentially, the seed used to generate the rock hermits, rather than being random on every system entry, is a function of the system ID and date, so that the rock hermit seed changes every few months, rather than on each system load.

As with various OXP stations, destruction of a hermit therefore won't be remembered across savegames.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

cim wrote:
As with various OXP stations, destruction of a hermit therefore won't be remembered across savegames.
Fair enough. :)
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

cim wrote:
Essentially, the seed used to generate the rock hermits, rather than being random on every system entry, is a function of the system ID and date, so that the rock hermit seed changes every few months, rather than on each system load.
I'd actually expect Rock Hermits to "move around" in-system looking for other asteroids to harvest, so their location but not number might change daily/weekly.

It'd be nice to have "sponsor a Rock Hermit" option, if only to guarantee that your "favorite" Rock Hermit is always in-system...it may move around, its prices may change, how much it has for sale at anytime may change...but just nice to have a safe port outside the main station.

How far away from the space-lanes can Rock Hermits be, if spawned by the populator? ~25km? (max radar range)
Rese249er
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Rese249er »

Switeck wrote:
...just nice to have a safe port outside the main station...
Gotta agree. Especially if you happen to have loosed a stray shot and accidentally picked up a fugitive tag. Somewhere to hole up and repair, at least...
Hmm... I think I'll try to get a little creative...
Got all turned around, lost my nav connection... Where am I now?
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Reading this discussion, I thought it would be time if pirate coves also appeared a bit more predictable. I changed the code of the oxp a bit so that they are not added randomly, but based on the pseudo random numbers with a salt that changes every 30 days or so.
Doing that, I also added code that remembers when a cove was destroyed. For the first 30 days after destruction, the cove will stay away. Only complicated part is that there are two addition methods and I now only changed the scripted addition method. The coves can still be added as rock hermit replacements after destruction.

Will test it a bit further and than release an update of the oxp.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Vanishing RH's
Daemonic Red RH's
Not Saving at RH's

I've also had this.

Arrive at a system and the RH appears on my Telescope MFD and I can then locate it on my ASC. I then dock, setting my ASC to the RH. When I subsequently launch, the RH has seemingly disappeared. Happened 3 times in G7.

But also:

RHs which show up eg on Telescope but not on the ASC, or as green Telescoped dots in the sky but in neither the Telescope MFD (which is not full of other items) or the ASC.

And, finally,

Not quite the same, but watching Arquebus's videos, he has Rock Hermits which glow a daemonic red when he approaches them. Does anybody know which OXP is responsible? Or is it something to do with playing on Windows?

See his episode 3:26 at 23:29 (but back earlier at 19:50 it does not).

And why on earth can't he save at the second rock hermit (23:58)?
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

Rock Hermits never appear on the ASC in the core game, so any issues are likely with Telescope.

As for the red glow, that’s part of the Griff TH - the docking corridor will glow red when the RH is under attack.

The inability to save will be because of the way they were spawned. Basically, that RH was created after the system was populated, probably in shipWillExitWitchspaxe, by an OXP. You should have no trouble saving at a core game RH.