[RELEASE]AutoSkim OXP

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Fatleaf
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Re: [RELEASE]AutoSkim OXP

Post by Fatleaf »

An S9. See the up and coming What Ship review for further details.
Find out about the early influences of Fatleaf here. Also his OXP's!
Holds the Ooniversal record for "Thread Necromancy"
Cmdr. Maegil
Sword-toting nut-job
Sword-toting nut-job

Post by Cmdr. Maegil »

maik wrote:
My Cobra Mk3 has basically everything. Still, it takes about 20 seconds per energy bank to be used up by the cloaking device, and once half the energy banks are gone the device turns itself off. Maybe you're in a ship with a higher energy recharge rate?
According to what I thought to be common knowledge, a Cobra Mk.3 is "good enough" at most roles, but excels at none.
If you try to upgrade your vanilla iron-assed Cobbie (whose energy levels already have to be carefully monitored) into a military-level, fully OXP-kitted gunship... FAIL! :P
You know those who, having been mugged and stabbed, fired, dog run over, house burned down, wife eloped with best friend, daughters becoming prostitutes and their countries invaded - still say that "all is well"?
I'm obviously not one of them.
RyanHoots
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by RyanHoots »

Maybe this OXP should automatically activate your cloak when attacked... assuming you have a cloak.
Cmdr. Maegil
Sword-toting nut-job
Sword-toting nut-job

Post by Cmdr. Maegil »

Is there any chance you might make a sequel? I was thinking of an AutoScavanger.OXP, for those profitable but exceedingly boring spoils mop-ups and freshly mined splinter-gatherings.
You know those who, having been mugged and stabbed, fired, dog run over, house burned down, wife eloped with best friend, daughters becoming prostitutes and their countries invaded - still say that "all is well"?
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Tested this last night, works really well.
maik wrote:
Unless you're attacked on the way? Or does the AI take care of that as well?
I think if you are attacked you can disengage (by pressing N), take care of the pirates, and re-engage (by pressing N again). Of course, this would be a problem if you have walked away from your computer.

Excellent OXP, Okti!
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
Okti
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Okti »

JazHaz wrote:
Tested this last night, works really well.
maik wrote:
Unless you're attacked on the way? Or does the AI take care of that as well?
I think if you are attacked you can disengage (by pressing N), take care of the pirates, and re-engage (by pressing N again). Of course, this would be a problem if you have walked away from your computer.

Excellent OXP, Okti!
Thanks JazHaz,
Cmdr. Maegil wrote:
Is there any chance you might make a sequel? I was thinking of an AutoScavanger.OXP, for those profitable but exceedingly boring spoils mop-ups and freshly mined splinter-gatherings.
There may be some more automations, but they can be hardly done with player ship. But using helpers may be a solution, like I did at MinerPod.
RyanHoots wrote:
Maybe this OXP should automatically activate your cloak when attacked... assuming you have a cloak.
Must wait for 1.77.1 and you may post a scriptiing request for scripts to enable cloak for the player. There is no way to do that atm. But don't think it is a good idea.
My OXP's
And Latest Mission Coyote's Run
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia (mainly industrial, feudal, TL12)

Post by maik »

Cmdr. Maegil wrote:
If you try to upgrade your vanilla iron-assed Cobbie (whose energy levels already have to be carefully monitored) into a military-level, fully OXP-kitted gunship... FAIL! :P
I actually quite like my iron-assed Cobbie vanilla :)
Cmdr. Maegil
Sword-toting nut-job
Sword-toting nut-job

Post by Cmdr. Maegil »

maik wrote:
Cmdr. Maegil wrote:
I actually quite like my iron-assed Cobbie vanilla :)
So did I, and it's among my favourite Vanilla ships (the other being the Asp)...
I changed to a Terrapin so I could have a ship on the same range without actually being the Cobbie... that it is an improvement over it, it came as a bonus (or I'd have gone for the Cobra Courier). Regardless, I still maintain that the Cobbie is a ship that if you over-equip, you have to use the equipment very sparingly and maintain a close eye on the energy levels.
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia (mainly industrial, feudal, TL12)

Post by maik »

Cmdr. Maegil wrote:
Regardless, I still maintain that the Cobbie is a ship that if you over-equip, you have to use the equipment very sparingly and maintain a close eye on the energy levels.
Yep, that's what I like about it. Makes it feel balanced just right to me.
Okti
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Okti »

Hi All,

I think we come to the unresolved issue of game preferences for the player, and their way of immersion again. This OXP is not an uber one, but it is a proof of concept OXP, and as I mentioned used the main logic in a mission.

Well with the OXP, there is a problem I did not manage to solve yet, it occurs very rare, but if the planet is between the sun and the player, strange things may happen. I would be pleased if some one confirm that.

Okti
My OXP's
And Latest Mission Coyote's Run
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Okti wrote:
Well with the OXP, there is a problem I did not manage to solve yet, it occurs very rare, but if the planet is between the sun and the player, strange things may happen. I would be pleased if some one confirm that.
JazHaz wrote:
I'll put it on the Wiki.

It's here: http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Auto_Skim_OXP
I've rewritten some of the wiki to be slightly clearer, and copied in your paragraph about the planet getting in the way.
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
Rese249er
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Rese249er »

'Ello all. Just recently got started playing Oolite on a Ubuntu 12.04 system. Seem to have finally got a stable set of OXPs, one of which is AutoSkim. Using it gave me an idea which I would already be working on if I had a slagging clue about creating an OXP.

Assuming it is possible to automate a witchspace jump, could AutoSkim be integrated with the Advanced Navigational Array to create an actual autopilot that would take you to a target system with no player input, automatically initiating a witch-out after refueling is complete at each 7ly mark?

It would certainly make an interesting addition. After all, no stops at a station, and if you get jumped and destroyed, you'd have to start that journey all over again...
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Hi Rese249er, and welcome to the friendliest Board this side of Riedquat.
I'm not sure whether what you suggest is possible as you would need to pre-program the final destination somehow. I think Okti has a jump-planner OXP which does something like this and might be able to be combined with the AutoSkim, but I honestly don't know if or how this would work.
TBH I'm not a big fan of 'Auto' things anyway...I like to play the game and make my own decisions and do stuff for myself. If you 'Auto' everything there's not much point in playing, is there?
Press 'Start' and let the game do it all for you is not my idea of fun :wink:
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
SandJ
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by SandJ »

Rese249er wrote:
AutoSkim. Using it gave me an idea. ... create an actual autopilot that would take you to a target system with no player input, automatically initiating a witch-out after refuelling is complete at each 7ly mark? ... if you get jumped and destroyed, you'd have to start that journey all over again...
(I have pondered about an Oolite screensaver, which this could effectively become. Someone else has already suggested an auto-trader that sells and buys according to the system type.)

Rather than just die when attacked with no human present, the AutoPilot could do as some NPCs do and flee to a safe distance, then try to continue their journey. The ship's life expectancy would improve hugely. Further to that, should it be attacked heavily (e.g. taking hull damage), it could pause the game, or knock the Time Acceleration Factor right down, thereby giving you time to get off the phone / return from making a cup of tea / whatever.
Flying a Cobra Mk I Cobbie 3 with nothing but Explorers Club.OXP and a beam laser 4 proper lasers for company :D
Dropbox referral link 2GB of free space online + 500 Mb for the referral: good for securing work-in-progress.
Rese249er
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Rese249er »

Smivs, I do agree with you on the auto thing. The point I was trying to make is that an autopilot like that would only automate travel, which, if you're just trying to blaze 'cross the chart, takes only a few steering adjustments.

Indeed, an autopilot might add a bit of a challenge, keeping you somewhere between complacency about how smooth things are going and realizing just that only when you've been dogpiled by pirates.

No autopilot could really handle any kind of combat well. After all, the human behind the stick is the one thing that gives that fighter an edge in combat. Outside of combat, it's the choices you make. You set the destination, you choose the cargo, passengers, and equipment.

An autopilot would be like having your own helmsman for nonhostile navigation. And it would be an OXP; no-one would have to download it.

It was just a thought from a newb. Thought I'd put it out there, see if anyone wanted to run with it.
Got all turned around, lost my nav connection... Where am I now?