Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

The Honourable Guild of Test Pilots

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Re: The Honourable Guild of Test Pilots

Post by Thargoid »

There's a fairly close version of the swarming Thargoids waiting for you in that case, if you're up for it...

Or indeed anyone else if you're hard enough.
Fatleaf
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by Fatleaf »

Thargoid wrote:
There's a fairly close version of the swarming Thargoids waiting for you in that case, if you're up for it...

Or indeed anyone else if you're hard enough.
Ooo! I like the sound of that. :D

Give me a week :wink:
Find out about the early influences of Fatleaf here. Also his OXP's!
Holds the Ooniversal record for "Thread Necromancy"
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

Thargoid,

I can try it out. My OXP projects are kinda waiting-till-I-learn-a-lot-more anyway and I need a good break from them.
UK_Eliter
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Essex (mainly industrial and occasionally anarchic)

Post by UK_Eliter »

Dear Honourable Guild Members

Fancy testing my 'Interstellar Tweaks' OXP?

Should you accept this mission, then, each time you misjump (and the chance of misjumping is slightly increased), it is possible that you will encounter:

- derelict ships in interstellar space;
- an interstellar asteroid field;
- various thargoid traps;
- a quasi-misjump that puts you in normal space, but not where you expected to be;
- only the thargoids in interstellar space, any navy (that was courtesy of other OXPs) having legged it, been destroyed, or just not being there;
- some navy being there;
- various things similar to the above;
or even
- the bugs pulling off something rather special (the 'bugs' being, hopefully, the thargoids, rather than my programming errors).

Anyone interested? If so, I'll update the file available via the link on the 'work in progress' part of the OXP wiki page. (At present, there is an older version of this OXP at that location.)
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

UK_Eliter wrote:
Dear Honourable Guild Members

Fancy testing my 'Interstellar Tweaks' OXP?

Should you accept this mission, then, each time you misjump (and the chance of misjumping is slightly increased), it is possible that you will encounter:

- derelict ships in interstellar space;
- an interstellar asteroid field;
- various thargoid traps;
- a quasi-misjump that puts you in normal space, but not where you expected to be;
- only the thargoids in interstellar space, any navy (that was courtesy of other OXPs) having legged it, been destroyed, or just not being there;
- some navy being there;
- various things similar to the above;
or even
- the bugs pulling off something rather special (the 'bugs' being, hopefully, the thargoids, rather than my programming errors).

Anyone interested? If so, I'll update the file available via the link on the 'work in progress' part of the OXP wiki page. (At present, there is an older version of this OXP at that location.)
I like the way you are going with this. Would love to try it out and of course report back anything I find. I suspect the different event scenarios listed would need to be balanced so as not to change the role of the Thargoids in interstellar space too much. Quick question, how will it work with other OXP's that puts stuff in interstellar space such as Generation Ships, Wormhole restoration and interstellar help, to mention a few.
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

UK_Eliter wrote:
I'm willing to give it a try. :)
UK_Eliter
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by UK_Eliter »

Dear Switeck and Gimi

Great! I'll upload the file (the OXP) before 10pm tonight, UK time (and I'll update this post when I've done it). . .

If you like, you can play with the parameters at the start of 'IST_MAIN-SCRIPT.js', in order to generate particular scenarios. There's a key there that will always induce misjumps. Or you can induce them yourself.
Gimi wrote:
Quick question, how will it work with other OXP's that puts stuff in interstellar space such as Generation Ships, Wormhole restoration and interstellar help, to mention a few.
Generation Ships: my OXP removes these if they are too close to where I put the player/where I put other ships. But this tends to leave the genships where they are, since they tend to be a long way, though - 'cos of their size - still visible. I am considering, sometimes, removing those ships entirely. Also, though, one of my scenarios makes use of those ships. .

The Wormwhole Restoration OXP is compatibile with mine. But with my OXP you won't always see these jammers when you misjump. (Still, I have, just now, added some code to make them a little more likely to appear when one has both OXPs installed.)

Interstellar Help: this OXP is compatible with mine.

Also, my OXP is compatible with the Enhanced Misjump OXP.

EDIT: OK, its up (slightly late). URL: http://www.box.com/shared/moreq536ht

NEW EDIT: Latest version - 0.9 - up for testing. Everything seems to be working well.
Last edited by UK_Eliter on Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Smivs'Shipset v4.0

As you may have read on this thread, I am currently working on v4.0 of my shipset. The main prompt to do this was the need to make it compatible with the other available shipsets.
The compatibility issue is straightforward, but this seemed like a good oportunity to add some sexy new features that I'd been considering. Work is almost finished on this project, and I would like a couple of volunteers to test it and give some feedback, particularly on one of the new features.
Current users of my shipset will be able to give a comparative assessment so would be welcome, but all volunteers are gratefully received.
Post here (or PM me if you prefer) and I'll contact the successful candidates in a few days.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Ironfist
Commander
Commander

Post by Ironfist »

Smivs,

Happy to give the new version a go.

Ironfist
64bit Mint 10 and Win 8 64bit on E8400 at 3.6GHz - ATI HD5750 graphics.
Concentration is the ability to think of absolutely nothing when it is absolutely necessary.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Thanks Ironfist...I'll be in touch in a day or two. :)
Duggan
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Duggan »

I too would be happy to test the new Shipset version 4.0 :)
Flying Python Class Cruiser, Chapter & Verse IV
submersible
Commodore
Commodore

Post by submersible »

UK_Eliter wrote:
EDIT: OK, its up (slightly late). URL: http://www.box.com/shared/moreq536ht

NEW EDIT: Latest version - 0.9 - up for testing. Everything seems to be working well.
I'll have a bash too later today. I have none of these other exotic OXPs installed but have found misjumping to be quite an exciting passtime in of itself.
UK_Eliter
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by UK_Eliter »

Submersible

Great! But, as so often, I spoke too soon (when I said all was working well - for I'd accidentally turned off an important switch). Still, try the 0.91 version that I've uploaded!

PS: Nice underwater toaster.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Smivs'Shipset v4.0 is now out with the testing team. Thanks to them, and I hope to have a release candidate ready fairly soon when everything has been checked out.
NostalgicValue
Average
Average

Post by NostalgicValue »

Hi. I've been directed here by Smivs and would like to offer my services.

I've been playing since mid-January and enjoying every minute of it. I'd very much like to give something back.

Being a new test pilot it would probably be better to take on something smallish at first. Please feel free to message me if you're in have anything you like me to try out.