Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

The Honourable Guild of Test Pilots

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Ironfist
Commander
Commander

Re: The Honourable Guild of Test Pilots

Post by Ironfist »

Smivs,
Nice Logo, Thanks.

Ironfist
64bit Mint 10 and Win 8 64bit on E8400 at 3.6GHz - ATI HD5750 graphics.
Concentration is the ability to think of absolutely nothing when it is absolutely necessary.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Ironfist wrote:
Nice Logo
Yeah, ain't it... in honour of Chuck Yaeger, the test pilots' test pilot!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

The only problem is that with the new multitude of rather large logos popping up in signatures, when I'm travelling (and so on fairly slow links and with the smallish screen size of my netbook) it makes actually using this forum rather more difficult than it needs to be. A lot of screenspace (and some bandwidth) are getting taken up by things that aren't strictly necessary.

Might it be better to get yourself a new forum group set up (like the spam assassins etc) and so have the logo stored once on the board itself, and appearing in the user info bit of the post (the bit on the left, where the avatars and katana's etc go).

Just a thought...
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Sorry, old bug. Sig duly censored. :)
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Thargoid wrote:
The only problem is that with the new multitude of rather large logos popping up in signatures, when I'm travelling (and so on fairly slow links and with the smallish screen size of my netbook) it makes actually using this forum rather more difficult than it needs to be. A lot of screenspace (and some bandwidth) are getting taken up by things that aren't strictly necessary.

Might it be better to get yourself a new forum group set up (like the spam assassins etc) and so have the logo stored once on the board itself, and appearing in the user info bit of the post (the bit on the left, where the avatars and katana's etc go).

Just a thought...
That's doable - although it will mean that some people will have to choose between groups (such as Assassins who are also test pilots). I can create the group, I can PM Aegidian the image - I can port people across into it...

(But I am wondering why your browser isn't caching these images irrespective of whether they're in a sig or a profile)
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Cody

Post by Cody »

Thargoid wrote:
Might it be better to get yourself a new forum group set up (like the spam assassins etc)
I don't like that idea at all!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Okti
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Okti »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
That's doable - although it will mean that some people will have to choose between groups (such as Assassins who are also test pilots). I can create the group, I can PM Aegidian the image - I can port people across into it...

(But I am wondering why your browser isn't caching these images irrespective of whether they're in a sig or a profile)

Don't think it is a good idea to start user defined groups. Basically because it may lead to different groups and a groups war may start on BB. Even Skunkworks team is helping each other for the OXP projects, we all have our own different skills and thoughts about ooniverse. I think it is best to keep it as it is. Credits on OXP's is all we need.

Okti
My OXP's
And Latest Mission Coyote's Run
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Thargoid wrote:
Might it be better to get yourself a new forum group set up (like the spam assassins etc)
I don't think so. It could be seen as elitist or divisive, and at the end of the day whether it's Skunkworkers or Test Pilots, we're all just Ooliters.
The Spam Assassins have a specific role in defending this forum and are a group. We're not...we're a rabble! :)
Fatleaf

Post by Fatleaf »

My thoughts are with my fellow SkunkWorks colleagues here. It would only prove a negative thing. We like to only have the SkunkWorks group in name only as we work closely on IRC to produce oxp's and it works very well. But making it a formal group set apart from the rest of the community is something none of us want.
Find out about the early influences of Fatleaf here. Also his OXP's!
Holds the Ooniversal record for "Thread Necromancy"
Commander Wilmot
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Commander Wilmot »

I would like to be listed as an inactive member of the test pilots' guild. I will hopefully have time to actually be an active guild member in the future. I am in my senior year of high school and my courses are all honors level, so I have had even less time than I had last year. I am trying to see Zieman still needs testing and complete whatever testing he still needs done, if any; but after that I have no reason to believe I will have any time whatsoever.
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Commander Wilmot wrote:
I would like to be listed as an inactive member of the test pilots' guild. I will hopefully have time to actually be an active guild member in the future. I am in my senior year of high school and my courses are all honors level, so I have had even less time than I had last year. I am trying to see Zieman still needs testing and complete whatever testing he still needs done, if any; but after that I have no reason to believe I will have any time whatsoever.
So let it be written, so let it be done...

Good luck with your studies.
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Ironfist
Commander
Commander

Post by Ironfist »

Commander Wilmot wrote:
Remember that at your age Education is only slightly less important than Family, whereas at my age gaming helps keep the brain alive.

Ironfist
64bit Mint 10 and Win 8 64bit on E8400 at 3.6GHz - ATI HD5750 graphics.
Concentration is the ability to think of absolutely nothing when it is absolutely necessary.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Best of luck with the studies....hopefully normal service can be resumed when you're out in the Real World :wink:
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

OK, following on from a chat with ClymAngus over a beer (well a cider) or three a couple of weeks ago, I've got a new concept for Thargoid ships that needs testing. Rather than the usual Thargons just as robot fighters, this uses the swarm concept for weaker fighters but many more of them.

Test OXP is ready, with feedback required on balance and toughness. It's designed to make them a more challenging opponent than the current ship configuration, but not overly unbeatable. At the moment the OXP re-uses the current models/textures for both mothership and thargon, but I hope the final version will have new designs for at least the swarming thargon.

If any members of the guild have time to give them a test-fly and see how they do against various player ships, please PM me for a download link.
Fatleaf

Post by Fatleaf »

I would like to apologise to the commanders who are looking for Test pilots for their WIP's recently. I am in the middle of moving house and not yet got an internet connection installed. Awaiting that next week. So once I'm settled in and online I will be back to donning my Test suit and helping out the fine boffins around here.
Find out about the early influences of Fatleaf here. Also his OXP's!
Holds the Ooniversal record for "Thread Necromancy"