Military Fuel Injectors OXP

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Re: Military Fuel Injectors OXP

Post by Thargoid »

Thargoid wrote:
I just updated this OXP to v1.01, to remove the excess velocity after usage that most people seem to object to. So it should now be fully non-Newtonian, as per the rest of the game (give or take retro-rockets).

For those with the Vortex/Maelstrom, I'll update that OXP soon with the same tweak.
OK, I've just uploaded v1.02 with the modifications.

It's more limited in max-speed, but won't also have the non-Newtonian overshoot now either.

Download via links below.
BuggyBY
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by BuggyBY »

I've just upgraded from 1.00, and was unpleasantly surprised to discover that my ship was occasionally propelled backwards when I stopped injecting, often at such impressive speeds that my forward thrust had absolutely no effect. (Note to self: next time, don't inject directly away from a Torus station.) Is this a malfunction of the speed-limiter in combination with the way it returns the player to non-Newtonian flight, or somehow intended behaviour?
Kasero
Dangerous
Dangerous
Location: Rich Agricultural - Mainly Liquors/wines - Burgondy France

Post by Kasero »

That tilted something in my mind... Is your ship a Python (the basic version)?

I had the same problem while flying a basic Python. The problem has not so far been reproduced with any other ship I flew.
If that can help.
Kas
BuggyBY
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by BuggyBY »

Kasero wrote:

I had the same problem while flying a basic Python. The problem has not so far been reproduced with any other ship I flew.
If that can help.
Kas
It's a [wiki]Serpent Class Cruiser[/wiki], which I'd just bought. Haven't tried the injectors with any other ships yet.

Copy-pasted from IRC:
This is getting silly, though amusing. I inject for half a minute to escape mass lock, engage jump drive the moment I get Condition Green, fly forward until I'm mass-locked by a ship in front of me, get pushed backwards, thus escape mass lock, engage jump drive, get mass-locked by the same ship, get pushed backwards again, jump again, get mass-locked again ... have I just invented the sport of Oolite yo-yo?
Kasero
Dangerous
Dangerous
Location: Rich Agricultural - Mainly Liquors/wines - Burgondy France

Post by Kasero »

BuggyBY wrote:
Kasero wrote:

If that can help.
Kas
It's a [wiki]Serpent Class Cruiser[/wiki], which I'd just bought. Haven't tried the injectors with any other ships yet.

Copy-pasted from IRC:
This is getting silly, though amusing. I inject for half a minute to escape mass lock, engage jump drive the moment I get Condition Green, fly forward until I'm mass-locked by a ship in front of me, get pushed backwards, thus escape mass lock, engage jump drive, get mass-locked by the same ship, get pushed backwards again, jump again, get mass-locked again ... have I just invented the sport of Oolite yo-yo?
Yoyolite? :lol:

My Python used a normal Fuel injector, not the Mil version (she can't use one iirc), but the problem is the same. Could it be ship-related and thus not a problem of oxp?
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

BuggyBY wrote:
I've just upgraded from 1.00, and was unpleasantly surprised to discover that my ship was occasionally propelled backwards when I stopped injecting, often at such impressive speeds that my forward thrust had absolutely no effect. (Note to self: next time, don't inject directly away from a Torus station.) Is this a malfunction of the speed-limiter in combination with the way it returns the player to non-Newtonian flight, or somehow intended behaviour?
I've seen it occasionally when flying a test Cobbie3 and a Caddie, and at the moment I'm at a loss how to deal with it. I think it's a weird interaction between the playing about with the ships velocity and its thrust (and when the script makes its changes compared to when the trunk code updates same).

When it happens I can kill the excess backward velocity via the console, but I can't seem to do it via scripting (my current test version has an additional velocity adjustment set at 0.25s after you come off the injectors and the first velocity reset fires). But if it keeps happening I might have to strip that feature out of the OXP and just have the fuel recovery.
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Thargoid wrote:
BuggyBY wrote:
I've seen it occasionally when flying a test Cobbie3 and a Caddie, and at the moment I'm at a loss how to deal with it. I think it's a weird interaction between the playing about with the ships velocity and its thrust (and when the script makes its changes compared to when the trunk code updates same).

When it happens I can kill the excess backward velocity via the console, but I can't seem to do it via scripting (my current test version has an additional velocity adjustment set at 0.25s after you come off the injectors and the first velocity reset fires). But if it keeps happening I might have to strip that feature out of the OXP and just have the fuel recovery.
Funnily enough, I recently removed the OXP because of this problem, only to find that without it I still get this problem. Therefore, I think its a bug in 1.76.1.
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

@Thargoid: Try changing "player.ship.velocity = player.ship.vectorForward.multiply(player.ship.maxSpeed)" to "player.ship.velocity = player.ship.thrustVector" and see if that works for you. This is what I used to kill the extra momentum in the Q-Charger.oxp, has worked for a long time no problems. :wink:
Take an idea from one person and twist or modify it in a different way as a return suggestion so another person can see a part of it that can apply to the oxp they are working on.

CommonSense 'Outside-the-Box' Design Studios Ltd.
WIKI+OXPs
Rese249er
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Rese249er »

Personally, I've decided to keep what I've begun thinking of as my Newtonian warpdrive in a non-Newtonian environment.
Got all turned around, lost my nav connection... Where am I now?
Eagle1
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Post by Eagle1 »

Hi all.

Very sorry that my first post in this forum is a bug report as am very happy with the game in general and in awe of the time and effort spent by some of you in developing OXPs and modifying the game.

. . . That being said; I'm afraid I must report a bug. . . sorry.

As BuggyBY reported, my ship seems to be propelled backwards by a considerable distance once exiting injection when using military injectors. Quite often this distance is well in excess of the injector burn which took me in the direction of my initial destination. ie. Inject from the witchpoint in the direction of the space station and then release after a short time leading to reverse thrust (complete with exhaust flare showing through forward view) ending up a considerable distance back from the witchpoint.

This has happened to me having installed and used the military injectors OXP with a Cobra Mk3 a few weeks back and is currently an issue for me flying a Vortex, having un-installed military injectors. (These come as standard in the vortex and are currently making it unplayable). :cry: The issue ceased, having un-installed military injectors, whilst using a standard injection original Cobra Mk3 and has now re-appeared having purchased the vortex.

It happens almost every time the injectors are used and cannot be corrected by hitting the injector key whilst in "reverse thrust". When doing so it just slows the backward progression and removes the flare graphic from the forward view, only to restore the previous backward progression and re-display the flare in the forward view when released. The backward progression eventually slows to a stop, but as mentioned; occasionally well back from the initial injection. :(

My current Oolite version is 1.76.1 (Linux version running on Kubuntu)

Is there a way to remove the military injector from the vortex until a solution can be found? I am not much of a coder, but I am sure I can remove, replace and / or change a few lines of code if someone would be so kind as to point me in the right direction? I am currently unable to play without selling all equipment and changing ship from the vortex.

Any assistance would be gratefully received.

Many thanks,

Eagle1 (Dangerous. . . apparently) :shock:

PS. If there is any more information that you would like me to provide, then please let me know as I would be more than happy to do so.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Hi Eagle1 and welcome aboard! I'm sure someone will be along in the morning (euro-time) to help.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

I'm still working on trying to find a solution to both (although it is the same glitch) but as yet I can't find one.

If you're up for a little script editting I can guide you on what to change within the OXP for the Vortex, but I may well just cut the losses here and issue a new version of both OXPs without the boost in there.
Eagle1
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Post by Eagle1 »

Many thanks for the prompt replies and your kind welcome.

I have removed the last few lines from the vortexes .js script referring to military injectors and this has remedied the problem. I no longer have military injectors, but I'm rather pleased that I can play the game again. I just hope I haven't broken something else in the process. :)

Best of luck in your work and thanks again.

Eagle1
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Yes, that is basically the fix. I'll do an "official" one in the next day or two (I have the one for the stand-alone OXP just about done, but need to test tonight) to prune the velocity boost out for both. It looks like a bad interaction between the OXP script and the trunk one (if the OXP script removes the excess velocity before the trunk script does it then it seems to happen twice, hence you go backwards). Seemingly nothing much I can do about that from OXP-side, so I'll just nuke it completely and just leave the fuel recovery bits.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Ok, version 1.03 of this OXP is now uploaded.

It removes the velocity boost, and just leaves the fuel reclaim system. So now anyone flying backwards is doing something wrong, using retro-rockets or playing ooPinball.

Download via the links below as normal.