Military Fuel Injectors OXP

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Re: Military Fuel Injectors OXP

Post by Thargoid »

Why do you think I wrote retro rockets? ;)
Tricky
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Tricky »

Retro Rockets: Didn't have them when I found about the side-effect with Mil-Injectors.

New side-effect with retros... need to inject to cancel retros. :roll: :wink:
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

Albee wrote:
Thargoid wrote:
[...]As for speed - you should see an increase whilst you are using them (ie whilst you are under injectors)[...]
I'm using NumericHUDv3, which, as you know, quotes speed explicitly. The actual speed displayed is 2534 with civilian injectors, and exactly the same after fitting the military version. Possessing no coding skills, I haven't a clue where the HUD gets its information from, however (in a programming sense).
Just for the record, Albee, the numeric readout of speed is taken from your ships listing of current speed, not velocity, which is a different thing. Oxp's like Military Fuel Injectors and Q-Charger add velocity to your ship and won't be read by looking at your ship's current speed. The numeric huds have a cheat built into them that infer the set speed of the Q-Charger so that you can see what your speed is supposed to be, and even most of the time when you are turning as well this works because of the way the velocity is added in this oxp. There is no cheat built into them to show the speed when the military fuel injectors give a velocity boost.

If there was a simple way to take the ship's velocity and directly translate it into the actual forward speed I would be interested to know about that. :wink:
Take an idea from one person and twist or modify it in a different way as a return suggestion so another person can see a part of it that can apply to the oxp they are working on.

CommonSense 'Outside-the-Box' Design Studios Ltd.
WIKI+OXPs
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

Smivs wrote:
Maybe it's a thoughtful feature added by the NumericHUD people to help you avoid speeding tickets :wink:
:lol:

Surely. :)
Take an idea from one person and twist or modify it in a different way as a return suggestion so another person can see a part of it that can apply to the oxp they are working on.

WIKI+OXPs
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

CommonSenseOTB wrote:
If there was a simple way to take the ship's velocity and directly translate it into the actual forward speed I would be interested to know about that. :wink:
ship.velocity.magnitude() will give you the total speed (which will be equal to ship.speed under normal operation, of course)

If you want the component of that speed which is in the current direction of flight, then
ship.velocity.dot(ship.vectorForward) will do it. Under Newtonian velocity, and zero thrust, this value will vary from +velocity.magnitude() to -velocity.magnitude() depending on which way the ship is facing.
Albee
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Albee »

CommonSenseOTB wrote:
Just for the record, Albee, the numeric readout of speed is taken from your ships listing of current speed, not velocity, which is a different thing. Oxp's like Military Fuel Injectors and Q-Charger add velocity to your ship and won't be read by looking at your ship's current speed. The numeric huds have a cheat built into them that infer the set speed of the Q-Charger so that you can see what your speed is supposed to be, and even most of the time when you are turning as well this works because of the way the velocity is added in this oxp. There is no cheat built into them to show the speed when the military fuel injectors give a velocity boost.
I had a sneaking suspicion it might be something to do with the way NumericHUDv3 derives its value of speed (which I don't view as a problem, by the way). It's good to know my military fuel injectors are working correctly.
Thargoid wrote:
[...] A simple way to test if they are working is to go to max speed under injectors for a period and then come to a full-stop. If the injectors are working then your ship should actually continue to drift forward for a short while until the extra velocity boost drains off.
I was vaguely aware that there was 'drift', but hadn't appreciated just how long it could persist. (I've been doing some mining/ore processing in my Boa Clipper of late, and now I understand why the asteroids I approach at injector speed go screaming past when I reduce speed to zero).

In an attempt to better understand what's happening, I've just done varying length burns with my mil injectors, then killing my speed and timing how long it takes the space dust to come to a halt. At the bottom end it seems more or less proportional (30 sec burn = 30 sec drift: 60 sec burn = 60 sec drift) but soon after that I hit a drift limit of roughly 90 secs -- even a full 8 minute burn doesn't give any longer than that. Am I right in assuming Oolite has a velocity ceiling?
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

cim wrote:
CommonSenseOTB wrote:
ship.velocity.magnitude() will give you the total speed (which will be equal to ship.speed under normal operation, of course)

If you want the component of that speed which is in the current direction of flight, then
ship.velocity.dot(ship.vectorForward) will do it. Under Newtonian velocity, and zero thrust, this value will vary from +velocity.magnitude() to -velocity.magnitude() depending on which way the ship is facing.
Ahh, just the thing. Will make a note for numeric huds to update this in the next release. Thanks cim! :D

WIKI+OXPs
Albee
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Albee »

CommonSenseOTB wrote:
Ahh, just the thing. Will make a note for numeric huds to update this in the next release. Thanks cim! :D
Can you please explain briefly what this will mean to me, as a pilot? Specifically, what will be the reported value of speed when I boost-up with the mil injectors, kill my speed, then turn the vessel so that I'm 'gliding' backwards?

I have tried to get my brain round all this, honestly I have -- I've been reading up about thrustVector and maxSpeed and so forth on the wiki -- but sadly it's beyond me.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Basically in the game it's perfectly possible to have a velocity (ie to be moving) but to have a speed readout of zero.

The simplest way to conceptually consider it is that speed represents the movement induced by the ships engines. Additionally OXP scripts can also give your ship velocity, equivalent to giving it a push. As far as your ship is concerned it isn't moving (it's engines aren't doing anything) but practically you are actually moving.

In the numerical HUD, the read-out is equivalent to the speed induced by your engines. The velocity when milInjectors are used is higher, as they are giving your ship extra velocity (essentially pushing it along in addition to what your engine is doing).

That's a bit handwavium, but somewhere in the vicinity of what's happening.
Albee
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Albee »

Thanks, Thargoid.

I'll now shift this dialogue to NumericHUDv3's own OXP thread, since it's clear the military fuel injectors are working as intended. (Impressive and useful bit of kit, by the way :) -- I think I forgot to mention that amidst all my grousing).
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

I just updated this OXP to v1.01, to remove the excess velocity after usage that most people seem to object to. So it should now be fully non-Newtonian, as per the rest of the game (give or take retro-rockets).

For those with the Vortex/Maelstrom, I'll update that OXP soon with the same tweak.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Actually I've thought of a better way to do things and some other stuff to do here.

So I'll update this OXP again in the next few days with those.
Rese249er
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Rese249er »

Would that "other stuff" include the tweak I PM'ed you about?
Got all turned around, lost my nav connection... Where am I now?
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

No, that's either something separate or would go better into retro-rockets.

I have a test version of it just about done, but I'm not sure if how it's currently done is the best way. I'm going to look at another method and then make a decision.
Rese249er
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Rese249er »

Good deal. I'm eager to try it out! As if you couldn't tell...
Got all turned around, lost my nav connection... Where am I now?