Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

(NEW RELEASE) SniperCameraSystemv1.1.oxp

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Which installation method do you prefer for the Sniper Camera System?

Poll ended at Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:20 pm

Feature built into specific ships.
13%
Equipment that can be purchased for different types of ships.
63%
HUD AddOn oxp that automatically affects certain ships.
17%
HUD AddOn oxp the player modifies to fit his ship.
8%

Total votes: 24

CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: (NEW RELEASE) SniperCameraSystemv1.oxp

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

Sniper Camera Systemv1.1.oxp is now available.

Download here:
http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Sniper ... System_HUD

Well now that the thing works decent it will be possible for people to use and see if it meets the needs of a sniper. After playing with this for a while ponder the following questions:

1)Are the zoom positions ideal for ease of use and immersion for the player(easy to get a good view of the targetted ship)? Should there be more or less zoom positions or is it just right?

2)Does the operation of the scanner help in carrying out sniping. Could it be improved and how?

3)Do the sound effects add or detract from this oxp? How could they be improved?

4)Is the method of calibrating the camera to the zoom positions acceptable?

5)Is the method of adding/removing either the oxp or equipment acceptable? Is modifying an included template in shipdata-overrides an acceptable way to add the equipment to a non-standard oolite ship?

6)Comments as to whether the oxp as a whole, turns the concept of a sniper camera system into something that works for you or doesn't quite do it. Please explain the reasons either way.

Any comments on these are appreciated and will likely affect future versions of this oxp.

I created this oxp to give the player a more immersive way to shoot at extreme range with the goal of providing a fun experience that adds to combat in oolite. Enjoy! :D
Take an idea from one person and twist or modify it in a different way as a return suggestion so another person can see a part of it that can apply to the oxp they are working on.

CommonSense 'Outside-the-Box' Design Studios Ltd.
WIKI+OXPs
Captain Patrick
Competent
Competent

Re: (NEW RELEASE) SniperCameraSystemv1.1.oxp

Post by Captain Patrick »

Thanks for this handy OXP. I have used and enjoyed it. Though not an exact simulation of a telescopic zoom lens (instead it shifts the Point-Of-View forward), it sure does help sniping.

I was wondering if a version can be made available for an aft view (to defend against a chasing ship, instead of attack a chased one), as well as others for port and starboard, perhaps all separately purchased?

I also wanted to report that my utility program Disk Warrior 4.2 has reported the following for Mac OS 10.4.11:
File: "Info.plist"
Detected that Property List data is damaged and cannot be repaired.
XML parser error:
Encountered unexpected character k on line 11
Old-style plist parser error:
Malformed data byte group at line 1; invalid hex
Location: "MacHD/Applications/Games/Oolite 1.76/AddOns2/SniperCameraSystemv1.1.oxp/"
Regards,
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

Thanks for the thoughts Captain Patrick, will keep it in mind when it comes time to make the next version. As for the info.plist xml issue, I have no clues about this. I use windows xp on an acer netbook and all is well. The original info.plist file was grafted from somewhere else and the information changed. If there is some issue with xml and mac os then I'll have to completely eliminate xml and go with openstep for the info.plist in the next version and perhaps all my other oxps as well. If anyone knows anything about this, please post it here.
Take an idea from one person and twist or modify it in a different way as a return suggestion so another person can see a part of it that can apply to the oxp they are working on.

WIKI+OXPs
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

A bug report for you, CSOTB.. I tried the SCS out, and while I liked it, I didn't like that my external views were gone, and uninstalled it after a while. The problem is, the external views never came back. All I get is a black screen. The views are still defined in shipdata.plist (I use the multidecal_cobraiii_player.oxp) but I can't work out how to re-enable external views. Even re-installing the ship oxp didn't help, so I'm wondering if it's something in my gamesave, although I can't find anything that looks related.

:?

Please help!
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

Diziet Sma wrote:
A bug report for you, CSOTB.. I tried the SCS out, and while I liked it, I didn't like that my external views were gone, and uninstalled it after a while. The problem is, the external views never came back. All I get is a black screen. The views are still defined in shipdata.plist (I use the multidecal_cobraiii_player.oxp) but I can't work out how to re-enable external views. Even re-installing the ship oxp didn't help, so I'm wondering if it's something in my gamesave, although I can't find anything that looks related.

:?

Please help!
:)

There's nothing wrong, actually.

This oxp is designed specifically to change your external views so when you don't have the actual equipment the views are blocked so immersion is maintained(you wouldn't want the zoomed views without the equipment, would you?). This is a necessary workaround to make this oxp work at all. The instructions are in the readme file requiring you to sell the equipment and save your game and then remove the oxp from the addons folder when you want to remove the equipment and regain your external views functionality.

Now, in the future 1.77 version with scriptable custom views, however, you're going to see some serious shit. :lol:

WIKI+OXPs
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Wot? Read the instructions? Me? :lol:

No worries.. thanks mate! So if I buy it again, then sell it, things should go back to normal?
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Wot? Read the instructions? Me? :lol:

No worries.. thanks mate! So if I buy it again, then sell it, things should go back to normal?
After you sell it, remove the oxp from the addons folder and the external views should return to normal because the presence of the oxp alone being in the addons changes the external views.

WIKI+OXPs
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Ok.. got it. Thanks again. 8)