Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

(NEW RELEASE) SniperCameraSystemv1.1.oxp

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Which installation method do you prefer for the Sniper Camera System?

Poll ended at Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:20 pm

Feature built into specific ships.
13%
Equipment that can be purchased for different types of ships.
63%
HUD AddOn oxp that automatically affects certain ships.
17%
HUD AddOn oxp the player modifies to fit his ship.
8%

Total votes: 24

Capt. Murphy
Commodore
Commodore

Re: (NEW RELEASE) SniperCameraSystemv1.oxp

Post by Capt. Murphy »

Double post.
[EliteWiki] Capt. Murphy's OXPs
External JavaScript resources - W3Schools & Mozilla Developer Network
Win 7 64bit, Intel Core i5 with HD3000 (driver rev. 8.15.10.2696 - March 2012), Oolite 1.76.1
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Capt. Murphy wrote:
In some circumstances you may need to delay the setting with a Timer for it to take (since another-commander recently added some code to defer HUD drawing).
I believe the only case where a timer as described above would be needed is when using the compassTargetChanged handler. This is the only JS handler (so far) that is being queried while HUD drawing is ongoing and would therefore require a small delay to ensure that the entire HUD has been drawn, including any deferred elements.

On other news, why so much hostility lately? Can we not have calm discussions like in the past?
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Capt. Murphy wrote:
CommonSenseOTB wrote:
The last time I used the equipment version of target reticle sensitive over a year ago, it did exactly like you described when using a switching hud that did not have sensitivity enabled and I threw the oxp out in disgust and from that day on I simply make a decision whether to have it enabled in the hud itself, as do alot of other players I'm sure. This relegates it to being a feature of a hud itself and the player could always set it to yes in the hud themselves anyway.

I hope this answers your question, Dragonfire. :D
CSOTB - the equipment version of Target Sensitive Reticle sets (missionVariables.reticleTargetSensitive = "TRUE").

You can make your OXP's / any switching HUD OXP compatible where appropriate by doing a check for this missionVariable and setting player.ship.reticleTargetSensitive = true;

IMHO it is an OXPers duty to at least try and make their releases compatible with existing OXP's.

In some circumstances you may need to delay the setting with a Timer for it to take (since another-commander recently added some code to defer HUD drawing).
He knows all that. It was only a week ago he was trolling through the script of Sniper Sight looking for instances of == he thought should be ===, where he would have seen your code clearly commented.

Read his reply to Dragonfire, he's quite clear: because he personally doesn't like the Reticle Target Sensitive OXP he deliberately breaks it. As you know, Capt. Murphy, I don't like Reticle Target Sensitive OXP either, but I include your code to make it work smoothly in the public version of Sniper Sight OXP. It's not up to me to try to dictate to people what other OXPs they can use alongside mine. CSOTB takes it upon himself to do just that, without warning his victims.
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

another_commander wrote:
On other news, why so much hostility lately? Can we not have calm discussions like in the past?
+1 on that. We've managed a thread on politics, economics and even with a dash of religion thrown in, and no-one's thrown a punch yet ...

I've always felt, personally, that winners of such forum slap-fights are always the first ones to rise above it all. The last post just sits there, ignored and unanswered, doing its author no favours.

Please, people, get a grip.
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

I just read through 6 posts since my last and no one has confirmed this views problem. the target reticle I can fix later. Also Wildeblood, give me detailed information or I shall consider your problem nonexistent.
Take an idea from one person and twist or modify it in a different way as a return suggestion so another person can see a part of it that can apply to the oxp they are working on.

CommonSense 'Outside-the-Box' Design Studios Ltd.
WIKI+OXPs
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

After some more testing and playing a hunch I have found the problem. The download links are blocked until it's fixed.
Take an idea from one person and twist or modify it in a different way as a return suggestion so another person can see a part of it that can apply to the oxp they are working on.

WIKI+OXPs
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

The problem is now fixed for good. Turns out I had a badly done check for the existence of a variable. My faus pas. Had this been working properly my testing would have uncovered the real bug that was obvious after this was fixed. The real problem is this: Installing the oxp would be just fine and using it and loading and saving would also be fine. When you go to remove the equipment and/or oxp, everything becomes out of sync and good luck fixing it as it would cause a lot of problems later for a lot of people. I'm not sure why but there is an inconsistency in how the game keeps track of the custom views of the ship. One would expect that the first time adding the oxp would be the same as the second time adding it after it (the shipdata-overrides) was removed once and the game saved and reloaded. I was seeing a difference of 1 in the custom views index in the save file which makes everything out of sync the second time it is loaded. I would not call this a bug in the game but an odd behaviour that prevents a workaround like this oxp from maintaining perfect sync between the views and the huds.

Well I have a fix and it was a fallback position in case I had problems like this. The oxp will now have a zoom adjustment feature that is n/shift+n activated. It works as follows:

1) Find a stationary object like a nav buoy and set your range at between 5km and 7km. Now stop.
2)engage the custom views. Press v until you can see the object. You now are in the 5km zoom setting as it is the only zoom that can see the object at that range.
3)Is the zoom setting listed as 5km? If not, activate the zoom adjustment repeatedly until it says 5km. This simply moves the huds and not the views themselves. When the hud says 5km you are in synchronization. Stop adjusting and it should stay synchronized until you remove the oxp or sell the equipment. If not, simply adjust it when needed. Will probably only need adjustment when the sniper camera equipment is added to the ship you are flying.

Most sights and aiming devices need periodic adjustment in the real world. I guess this will be no different.

I'm going to hold off releasing this updated version of the Sniper Camera System until I have had a few more days of playtesting to ensure all is truly well. I have also put in compatibility with the Target Reticle Sensitive oxp. Please excuse the inconvenience this may have caused you. Mistakes can be made. Things can be overlooked or forgotten. And I am only human. We'll see yah in a few days. :)

WIKI+OXPs
RyanHoots
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by RyanHoots »

Good to know it's working, at least in the test version. :) I've sold the equipment until the new version is out.
another_commander wrote:
I agree. I thought this was the Friendliest Board this side of Riedquat™? :?
I vote for keeping it friendly. My friend Dragonfire has already abandoned the BB. it's been a bit lonelier without him :(
Wildeblood wrote:
Ryan has already confirmed that he has seen the same fault. Perhaps you should list the people you consider credible, and the rest of us won't waste our time any more.
:shock:
OSH
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by OSH »

"This file is currently set to private."

A4000 060/50, 16 MB RAM, A1200 E/BOX Tower, Apollo 1240/25 MHz 34 MB RAM, HDD 40 GB; LiteOn 52x32x52, A1200 E1230/40 18 MB RAM, CD-32+SX-1 10 MB RAM, A500, CDTV, A600, C-64, C-64+1541-II, C-64G, C-16
Still hunting in Edriuson (G3) for Deadly status...
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

OSH wrote:

Moderator: Link removed at CommonSenseOTB's request.

If you're really eager to try it out, check to make sure your ship's external view is showing the first external view before you install it, as CSOTB didn't include any way to synchronize the game's view counter with his OXP's view counter.
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

Wildeblood wrote:
OSH wrote:

Moderator: Link removed at CommonSenseOTB's request.

If you're really eager to try it out, check to make sure your ship's external view is showing the first external view before you install it, as CSOTB didn't include any way to synchronize the game's view counter with his OXP's view counter.
Take this download link off IMMEDIATELY. I did not authorize you or give permission to distribute my work and especially not a broken work that I am fixing and have disabled my own download link so none may load until it is fixed.

Moderators, this is not acceptable. this must be removed now.

WIKI+OXPs
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

The link to the download in Wildeblood's post has been removed. I believe that there was no bad intention here. What I think happened was that Wildeblood thought that the setting to private was unintentional or a box.net glitch and just tried to help. Sometimes it happens that a part of a post may be missed and probably the part in CSOTB's post where it is said that the release is held off did get missed.
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

Thank you moderators. The Sniper Camera System oxp is currently broken and is being fixed and that is why my download link is suspended. When it is fixed it will be made available by myself only. That is all.

WIKI+OXPs
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

Sniper Camera Systemv1.1.oxp is now available.

Download here:
http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Sniper ... System_HUD
Last edited by CommonSenseOTB on Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WIKI+OXPs
RyanHoots
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by RyanHoots »

CommonSenseOTB wrote:
Sniper Camera Systemv1.1.oxp is now available.

http://www.mediafire.com/?ssrwbbp68y6tx9n
Downloading now! :D