Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

(NEW RELEASE) SniperCameraSystemv1.1.oxp

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Which installation method do you prefer for the Sniper Camera System?

Poll ended at Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:20 pm

Feature built into specific ships.
13%
Equipment that can be purchased for different types of ships.
63%
HUD AddOn oxp that automatically affects certain ships.
17%
HUD AddOn oxp the player modifies to fit his ship.
8%

Total votes: 24

Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: (NEW RELEASE) SniperCameraSystemv1.oxp

Post by Wildeblood »

CommonSenseOTB wrote:
Wildeblood wrote:
Mediafire is refusing to cough up the download because I'm not logged into Facebook, or something. :evil:
I've never logged into facebook and it works just fine. Just tested now.
Well no, it doesn't work just fine. And how could you possibly test it yourself? Obviously you have whatever tracking vermin Mediafire uses or you couldn't have uploaded it. (And I don't see the relevance of a comment like "I've never logged into facebook", whether you're logged in (I am) has nothing to do with whether they track you on other sites.)

I've tried it four times today and it's not downloading. There's a whole lot of crap going across my status bar, where Mediafire is attempting to cross-profile me with Facebook, Twitter and probably Google Analytics and other tracker sites I block, but the download is simply not starting. So it might not be Facebook in particular - I did say "or something" - but Mediafire is obviously after something I'm not giving it.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Wildeblood wrote:
Well no, it doesn't work just fine. And how could you possibly test it yourself? Obviously you have whatever tracking vermin Mediafire uses or you couldn't have uploaded it. (And I don't see the relevance of a comment like "I've never logged into facebook", whether you're logged in (I am) has nothing to do with whether they track you on other sites.)

I've tried it four times today and it's not downloading. There's a whole lot of crap going across my status bar, where Mediafire is attempting to cross-profile me with Facebook, Twitter and probably Google Analytics and other tracker sites I block, but the download is simply not starting. So it might not be Facebook in particular - I did say "or something" - but Mediafire is obviously after something I'm not giving it.
This won't be music to your ears

:(
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Don't get me wrong; I'm not one of the tinfoil-hat brigade who frets about being tracked across the internet. I don't care if they profile me, but I block the major trackers for the very practical reason that they slow down web page load times so much. Google Analytics and Quantcast are the worst offenders. If you block them you'll immediately notice web pages loading quicker. (And I'm using wireless, not ADSL, so every bit downloaded costs money.)

Having said that, thanks for the link, Smivs. It was very interesting.
RyanHoots
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by RyanHoots »

Test results:
It works really well as a long range weapon, but the controls are touchy at long range. I like it. I actually got a screenshot of a Cobra Mk. 3's demise:
His escape pod was recovered, but with an explosion like the above, I can't say the same about the ship. :twisted: The sniper cam system worked well.
fronclynne
Deadly
Deadly

Post by fronclynne »

Wildeblood wrote:
Mediafire is refusing to cough up the download because I'm not logged into Facebook, or something. :evil:
Trying it in /usr/local/bin/lynx gives some interesting options. None of which download the file, obviously.
(/usr/local/bin/links as well)

The disturbing line(s) that make(s) me suspect that mediafire is nothing but a big phishing scam are:
You are logged in with Facebook,
but you did not allow your email.
(hint: I don't have a facebook login at all)
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Mediafire was much more co-operative this morning, so I finally got to try this out.

Do I have to buy a new ship to synchronize the external views with where your script assumes the external views count will be? I like my current ship. How do I fix this?
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

Read the readme please. There is a blank template at the top of the shipdata-overrides. Follow the notes and make the modifications to its ship description and x,y weapon positions if needed. Have fun. :D
Take an idea from one person and twist or modify it in a different way as a return suggestion so another person can see a part of it that can apply to the oxp they are working on.

CommonSense 'Outside-the-Box' Design Studios Ltd.
WIKI+OXPs
Dragonfire
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Dragonfire »

Are there compatibility issues with target sensitive reticle? That equipment vanished from the game once I installed this.
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

CommonSenseOTB wrote:
Read the readme please. There is a blank template at the top of the shipdata-overrides. Follow the notes and make the modifications to its ship description and x,y weapon positions if needed. Have fun. :D
It has nothing to do with the weapon positions; it's a core ship. Look at the picture I helpfully provided. Read what I wrote: external views count is wrong: it thinks it's on the 17km view when it's on the 7km view. I don't know why you ask people for test results if that's your attitude.
RyanHoots
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by RyanHoots »

Wildeblood wrote:
CommonSenseOTB wrote:
It has nothing to do with the weapon positions; it's a core ship. Look at the picture I helpfully provided. Read what I wrote: external views count is wrong: it thinks it's on the 17km view when it's on the 7km view. I don't know why you ask people for test results if that's your attitude.
Same problemo here. :?
Wildeblood wrote:
I don't know why you ask people for test results if that's your attitude.
I don't agree with that statement. :roll:
Last edited by RyanHoots on Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Dragonfire wrote:
Are there compatibility issues with target sensitive reticle? That equipment vanished from the game once I installed this.
Yes, the sniper camera HUD switches off the target sensitive reticle and doesn't bother to switch it back on when it switches back to the usual view.
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

Dragonfire wrote:
To the best of my knowledge none of my switching type huds is compatible with the equipment version of target reticle sensitive. I believe some other switching huds have this problem as well. The huds I've developed have sensitivity either enabled or disabled on the hud itself. The numeric hud has it disabled because after the sights are adjusted the reticle would still light up in the same place in the centre of the screen so it didn't seem to good an idea to have it sensitive and give a false reading of accuracy to the player. The sniper camera system also has it disabled as the alignment of the ring sight with the reticle provides the accuracy and yellow shows up better than red so therefore it is not sensitive.

The Sniper Camera System has no effect except in the custom views and if the main view hud that is being used has reticle sensitivity built in, it will still be there when you switch back and forth. The last time I used the equipment version of target reticle sensitive over a year ago, it did exactly like you described when using a switching hud that did not have sensitivity enabled and I threw the oxp out in disgust and from that day on I simply make a decision whether to have it enabled in the hud itself, as do alot of other players I'm sure. This relegates it to being a feature of a hud itself and the player could always set it to yes in the hud themselves anyway.

I hope this answers your question, Dragonfire. :D
Take an idea from one person and twist or modify it in a different way as a return suggestion so another person can see a part of it that can apply to the oxp they are working on.

WIKI+OXPs
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

Wildeblood wrote:
CommonSenseOTB wrote:
I'm not really sure what to say to you. i just did a comprehensive test again and checked the shipdata-overrides. Everything works super and is listed correctly. You didn't say which core ship or what its ship description was. The overrides only overrides the core ships in the vanilla game itself. The blank template is there for all others who wish to customise their ship. I also specifically checked the 7km and 17km views and all checks out. I'm not sure what attitude I've displayed but I find this statement extremely unhelpful. What I would find helpful is some indication of what was happening in the game when a problem occurs as what you describe doesn't happen when you start it up and I have done extensive playtesting, some runs of over 100 kills across 10+ systems putting it through its paces trying to unbalance it. The only logical and sincere explanation I can think of is that your ship isn't vanilla oolite and therefore the overides won't be in effect.

I'm sorry that I'm not able to help you any further on this pending much more detailed information and hopefully some outside confirmation from the oolite comunity at large.

Well aside from that does anybody have some positive comments about this oxp? I put a lot of hours into this and could use some positive feedback as to what went right in this concept.
Thanks for taking time from your busy schedules to have a play at this and I hope it adds something nice to your ooniverse. Cheers. :)

WIKI+OXPs
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

CommonSenseOTB wrote:
I'm sorry that I'm not able to help you any further on this pending much more detailed information and hopefully some outside confirmation from the oolite comunity at large.
Ryan has already confirmed that he has seen the same fault. Perhaps you should list the people you consider credible, and the rest of us won't waste our time any more.
Capt. Murphy
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Capt. Murphy »

CommonSenseOTB wrote:
Dragonfire wrote:
The last time I used the equipment version of target reticle sensitive over a year ago, it did exactly like you described when using a switching hud that did not have sensitivity enabled and I threw the oxp out in disgust and from that day on I simply make a decision whether to have it enabled in the hud itself, as do alot of other players I'm sure. This relegates it to being a feature of a hud itself and the player could always set it to yes in the hud themselves anyway.

I hope this answers your question, Dragonfire. :D
CSOTB - the equipment version of Target Sensitive Reticle sets (missionVariables.reticleTargetSensitive = "TRUE").

You can make your OXP's / any switching HUD OXP compatible where appropriate by doing a check for this missionVariable and setting player.ship.reticleTargetSensitive = true;

IMHO it is an OXPers duty to at least try and make their releases compatible with existing OXP's.

In some circumstances you may need to delay the setting with a Timer for it to take (since another-commander recently added some code to defer HUD drawing).

And I would have to agree that this thread has an air of sniping (no pun intended) in it. It's really not very becoming for anyone involved. I know there is a little bit of history and it didn't start in this thread, but gentleman stop being so sensitive and just try and be encouraging about each other's work.

Feedback should be constructive.....i.e. if you come across a problem, report it and if you know a potential solution post that as-well.
Last edited by Capt. Murphy on Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
[EliteWiki] Capt. Murphy's OXPs
External JavaScript resources - W3Schools & Mozilla Developer Network
Win 7 64bit, Intel Core i5 with HD3000 (driver rev. 8.15.10.2696 - March 2012), Oolite 1.76.1