Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Apple OS

Post by Selezen »

Just how similar to MacOS is iOS?

Is there any way to compile Oolite to work on iOS? How cool would Oolite be on an iPhone or an iPad?
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Apple OS

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

Selezen wrote:

Is there any way to compile Oolite to work on iOS? How cool would Oolite be on an iPhone or an iPad?
Yeah I can just see the carnage unleashed by people too distracted to walk and drive because they are playing oolite. I think the iPhone one is a terrible idea simply because the screen is too small to see the ships at a distance(they are dots but you probably wouldn't be able to even see those on an iPhone.) The iPad might be ok though. :wink:
Take an idea from one person and twist or modify it in a different way as a return suggestion so another person can see a part of it that can apply to the oxp they are working on.

CommonSense 'Outside-the-Box' Design Studios Ltd.
WIKI+OXPs
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Selezen wrote:
Very similar, but with a different UI library and a different graphics architecture. Also some different input devices. :-)
Selezen wrote:
Is there any way to compile Oolite to work on iOS?
No. The biggest issue is that the graphics code would need to be completely rewritten. (Well, not completely if you went for low performance and no shaders.) If you wanted to put it on the App Store (which you can’t anyway; see below), you’d need to make other big changes: it would have to be playable without a keyboard, and you’d need to tear out JavaScript support.
Last edited by JensAyton on Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Clarification
Corny
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Corny »

If I'm not mistaken, Mike (mikembp in #oolite) is working at exactly that.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Ahruman wrote:
If you wanted to put it on the App Store
Sorry, a bit of a brain far here; I was being overly theoretical. To clarify, because it is GPL-licensed, Oolite cannot be put on the app store.
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Ahruman wrote:
Ahruman wrote:
If you wanted to put it on the App Store
Sorry, a bit of a brain far here; I was being overly theoretical. To clarify, because it is GPL-licensed, Oolite cannot be put on the app store.
You had me worried there - thanks for clarifying - I'm sure that very thing has been asked before and got the same answer - I wondered if it had changed...
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

interesting...

I ask because I'm now the proud owner of an iPhone, and I've been kind of blown away by its power. Surprisingly flexible for a phone, I think.

A friend of mine is working with me to create a conversion of a board game I designed (he's using Cocos2D to do it) and it got me thinking about whether Oolite would be possible.

Earlier today, while taking a look at the whole idea of iPhone development I came across this eerily named iPhone 3D development site:

http://code.google.com/p/oolongengine/

It's almost like it was meant to be... But obviously without javascript... ;-)
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

On another note, I have often thought about how I can use my IPod touch or Android phone as an additional tool or reference when playing full screen games. Maybe console or a planet database or whatever. If anyone know how to program these things, let your imagination run with it.
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

I do that already with my Nokia (and will do it to the nth degree with the iPhone)

I just want to see "Oolite - there's an App for that" on TV one day...

;-)
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

Selezen wrote:
I do that already with my Nokia (and will do it to the nth degree with the iPhone)
I just want to see "Oolite - there's an App for that" on TV one day...
;-)
Please share you experience and knowledge. (data if you can)
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

It's nothing complex or techy, to be honest. I have a text file reader installed and convert whatever information I need into text files.

Elite: planet lists and a selection of profitable trade routes saved as a Note file, can add new trade routes when they're found.

LEGO Star Wars: locations of minikit canisters

Kingdom Hearts: complete walkthrough

Flight Sim: key guides

That sort of thing. I use X-Plore or ZXReader to read the files (X-Plore is a file browser but has smaller text size so can get more info on the screen.
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Last tuesday was OS Lion released in the Netherlands. Apple used all possible ways to announce this:

My computer starts up by a timer and normally is showing a screen saver when I arrive at my desk. Last tuesday I was not welcomed by the usual display, but with a blue screen with a floating announcement from apple about the new Lion release.

That was already the second time they highjacked my screensaver for their announcements. :wink:

So much about spam on the mac.