Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Tionisla Reporter

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Colonel Wasabi
Competent
Competent

Re: Tionisla Reporter

Post by Colonel Wasabi »

Eric Walch wrote:
I now rewrote that part slightly. After rejection, the mission not immediately stops, but after 30 days you will get a message that another pilot wrote that article for the Tionisla chronicle and you are out. Not a second chance, but at least you will know the mission has definitely ended.
(Will be in a next update)
Oh dear..... I guess I'll just have to play the mission vicariously through my son's Commander !
Smivs wrote:
There is a nice little mission set at Lerelace quite near to you in G1, for the Taranis Corporation.
Thanks Smivs - I'll give it a go.

This board is DEFINITELY the friendliest this side of Riedquat.... I dropped into the bar there last night, and they told me to go away !
But I'll be back when I'm harder........

Col M
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

SandJ wrote:
I lay awake in the night thinking that 500 Credits was nice, but not enough.
Reading that you had to go back twice to get new film for the camera, I can understand. :)

There I just found a bug in the oxp. The text constantly speaks about 500 ₢ but you actually get 5000 ₢ when finished. But, at this moment I don't recall if the last was a mistake, or that I –last minute– decided to raise the award and forgot to update the text.

So, as I will do a minor update with the previous mentioned change, I will fix this also. For those who have finished it, what value should be reasonable? 500 or 5000 ?

Bear in mind that it is intended for a starting Jameson and this oxp should not award easy money. It is only the experience what the player should get. The credits are intended as a nice bonus. And you can trade during this trip to earn the extra money.
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Eric Walch wrote:
Bear in mind that it is intended for a starting Jameson and this oxp should not award easy money. It is only the experience what the player should get. The credits are intended as a nice bonus. And you can trade during this trip to earn the extra money.
True, but you can trade better (and safer) going other places. I think 5000 is probably fairer - the most direct route from Tionisla to the mission region is not a particularly good (or safe) trading route, so it's really only compensation for the opportunity cost of doing something more profitable with your time. On the other hand, as that young Jameson - this was my first mission, as it happens - at the time it sounds like a lot of money, and you can look forward to the various upgrades you'll buy with it. (Whereas 500 is "I could almost upgrade my laser with that")
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

I'd go with 5000. That would let the Jameson get one or two nice items they've been desperately hanging out for, perhaps with enough change to fill their hold with cargo.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Does it have to start with a 5? :) Not that I want to be mean, but if you think 500 is too little, and 5000 may be too much, you could go with 1500, or 2000, or something like that. 5000 is – for a Jameson – a very hefty chunk of change.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Split the difference? 2500?
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

100 x the number of usable photos taken.
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Wildeblood wrote:
100 x the number of usable photos taken.
Nice one. Sadly enough I don't count good photos, only the fact that there is at least one good one. :(
I could subtract costs for additional films :evil: .

The constrictor mission gives you 5000 ₢. And for that you have to cross half the galaxy and kill something. So, 5000 ₢ for this mission is definitely to much. Also when I take a serious look at the prices of equipment available for a Jameson. Everything above the 1000 ₢ has too big of an impact.
I probably change the actual value to 750 ₢. (50% of the value of a docking computer)

Although, I never heard anybody complaining that the mission gave 5000 ₢ instead of the written 500 ₢. That suggest it was still so little that nobody really noticed :?:
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Eric Walch wrote:
Although, I never heard anybody complaining that the mission gave 5000 ₢ instead of the written 500 ₢.
Either they didn't read the mission text properly (highly possible), or they just kept quiet about the bonus... heh! 750 sounds cool, btw.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
SandJ
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by SandJ »

El Viejo wrote:
Either they didn't read the mission text properly (highly possible), or they just kept quiet about the bonus... heh! 750 sounds cool, btw.
... or they assumed when it said 500₢ it would award 500₢. I never thought to check.

I did the mission because it was described as a newby's mission. I just used it an an incentive to go and do something other than that initial safe Rich Industrial <--> Poor Agricultural thing. As there is no time limit (a good thing) I took my time and maximised every opportunity I could to make money along the way. When I failed to get good pictures, it was my own pig-headedness that sent me back for more film instead of simply loading a saved game.

Since it is an initial task for a cub reporter, the pay should be low hence I thought 500₢ was OK. I must have made far more than that in bounties on the way.
Flying a Cobra Mk I Cobbie 3 with nothing but Explorers Club.OXP and a beam laser 4 proper lasers for company :D
Dropbox referral link 2GB of free space online + 500 Mb for the referral: good for securing work-in-progress.
Tricky
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Tricky »

Actually suprised me too when I got 5000₢. I quickly toddled off to the armouries and got me a military laser upgrade for the front pulse laser before anyone noticed. :D
Wang Doodle
Poor
Poor

Post by Wang Doodle »

Ummm

I'm probably being a total Jameson here (I'm still deadly, just where I was when I got rid of my Amstrad around 1988), but I cannot get my camera to work!

When I attempt to prime (Shift+N) I get 'no equipment can be primed'...so I've been bouncing around G1 trying to find a Jessops or similar...what am I missing?!

mtia!
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Wang Doodle wrote:
When I attempt to prime (Shift+N) I get 'no equipment can be primed'...
Could be that you declined the offer? You should get the camera when accepting and the camera should be among your equipment.
Wang Doodle
Poor
Poor

Post by Wang Doodle »

Pretty sure I accepted, but I won't rule it out.

When I did the force-jump to the hidden planet and landed at the station, I got my interview with the dude, so I'm of the impression I've accepted.

...& for good measure, have just checked my save file. viz:

<string>MISSION_COMPLETE</string>
<key>mission_erehwonFotoShot</key>
<string>NO</string>
<key>mission_erehwonGotStory</key>
<string>YES</string>
<key>mission_erehwonPictureCount</key>
<string>10</string>
<key>mission_erehwonReconnaissance</key>
<string>ACCEPTED</string>

Any help to you?
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

It shows that you definitely accepted the mission :D . One thing I could think of is that the camera was shot in pieces during a combat on your way. But, than the equipment should show up as damaged in your inventory. You should have an item called 'Tionisla photo camera' in your equipment list. When it is damaged, the only solution will be going back to Tionisla, as no other place has those cameras. The mission will be offered a second time when arriving back without finishing the mission.