Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Clearing Up a Debate Once and For All

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

What is your highest priority in Oolite?

Uber
11%
Balance
89%

Total votes: 45

Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Clearing Up a Debate Once and For All

Post by Selezen »

There seem to be a lot of polls at the moment, and about a lot of things that are really down to player's choices.

Oolite is a customisable game. You customise it to how YOU want to play. If you want to share that, then share it, but there is NO way to make EVERYONE happy, so there's no point trying.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
Given you can edit your Save Game to give yourself uber credits, that doesn't actually make any difference. If you're going to cheat make your game easier, why stop with just waiting to buy the equipment when you can edit your save game to give yourself a generous dead uncle...
Or perhaps just become the 646th download of ooCheat.oxp?
Dragonfire
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Dragonfire »

Frankly, I don't see anything wrong with editing the save file. Seriously, who starts a career with only $100??
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Dragonfire wrote:
Frankly, I don't see anything wrong with editing the save file. Seriously, who starts a career with only $100??
Oh, but there is something wrong. Every time you edit your save file, kittens suffer. Don't do it.

Seriously, sometimes I think we should just switch the save file format to binary and be done with it. It's a very simple change in the code to do that. Ain't gonna happen, but the temptation is too strong sometimes...
Wyvern Mommy
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Wyvern Mommy »

Dragonfire wrote:
Seriously, who starts a career with only $100??

i did actually. and i found it easier than i anticipated. along the way i used some OXPs, and exploited small gaps in them. is that cheating? some might call it that.
i see it this way: when gaps like that exist in real life, someone will exploit them. why should it be different in the future?
Cmd. Cheyd
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Deep Horizon Industries Manufacturing & Research Site somewhere in G8...

Post by Cmd. Cheyd »

Dragonfire wrote:
I know I don't. I start with $0. Yep... No cash. And no fuel. And no missiles so I can't sell one to get fuel or money. And in an Adder. And I delete the save game and start over at that EVERY TIME I get killed.

Iron Adder games - Gotta love 'em.
Dragonfire
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Dragonfire »

Kudos for that.

Yeah, I'm dropping below a million for my cash, I think. It is time I started having to deal w/ that aspect more, now that my efficiency and aim are improving.
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

Dragonfire wrote:
I would suspect that most players here who started out playing the original Elite on whatever platform and came to Oolite later actually start out with the 100 Credits in Oolite. I know I did.
However I do have a save-game with millions and millions of credits that I use for testing the really expensive stuff. Made it when there was a version of trunk with a small multiplying bug :oops: .
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
Okti
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Okti »

another_commander wrote:
Oh, but there is something wrong. Every time you edit your save file, kittens suffer. Don't do it.

Seriously, sometimes I think we should just switch the save file format to binary and be done with it. It's a very simple change in the code to do that. Ain't gonna happen, but the temptation is too strong sometimes...
Go for it mate :twisted:
My OXP's
And Latest Mission Coyote's Run
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

We all start with 100Cr, and a Mk III Cobra. What you do with all that is up to you. :wink:
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

another_commander wrote:
Some of us have had to hack their savegames due to problems/bugs...typically with OXPs.

If I want to cheat, an OXP that gives the player lots of credits is trivial...as Thargoid has made.
Okti
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Okti »

Revert to your last save then, if not playing with out save files :twisted:
My OXP's
And Latest Mission Coyote's Run
Eldon
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Eldon »

Simply put, a dollar is worth a lot less than a credit. How much food can you buy for $2.80? A ton? I don't think so. Think of it more as 1 Credit=$100 and you'll be closer to the mark. You also start with 3 missiles worth 30 credits each, and you can sell them back to add 70 credits to your ready cash. Also remember that you have a nice shiny space ship (trade in value a little over 100k credits, so more than that when you bought it).

In today's terms you start as a multi-millionaire with about $10,000 ready cash.

If you still want to edit the save file, go ahead. (I have a comander I use for testing with 100 mil in the bank.) Those early runs, working out how you can buy your Iron ass can be some of the most fun though, and you'll miss them.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Hacked saves are a valuable aid to OXP makers, and indeed some OXPs make good use of them. I wouldn't want to see this ability removed.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Eldon wrote:
Simply put, a dollar is worth a lot less than a credit. How much food can you buy for $2.80? A ton? I don't think so. Think of it more as 1 Credit=$100 and you'll be closer to the mark. You also start with 3 missiles worth 30 credits each, and you can sell them back to add 70 credits to your ready cash. Also remember that you have a nice shiny space ship (trade in value a little over 100k credits, so more than that when you bought it).

In today's terms you start as a multi-millionaire with about $10,000 ready cash.

If you still want to edit the save file, go ahead. (I have a comander I use for testing with 100 mil in the bank.) Those early runs, working out how you can buy your Iron ass can be some of the most fun though, and you'll miss them.
On the forum somewhere is the calculation I did based on the value of gold (since we can assume an Oolite 'g' is the same as a RL(tm) 'g') - Credits are worth quite a lot...

Edit: Found it here: https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?p=118871
Last edited by DaddyHoggy on Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Found thread
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here