GAME CHANGER - A little overlooked law of aerospace science.

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Alex
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: GAME CHANGER - A little overlooked law of aerospace scie

Post by Alex »

2 wee points on speed of light;

Not so many years ago it was thought that if you exceded 20mph you would suffocate, something to do with not being able to breath out. Then it was impossible to go faster than sound. I think the light barrier will eventually go the same way.

Besides going faster than light is dead easy, just edit the ship data plist... :lol:
LOOK OUT!!!
OOPS..
"Press Space" Commander
If you do not see "Press Space" more often than you want.. Your not trying!
Dragonfire
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Dragonfire »

Ironically, there is some scientific evidence backing up the light barrier. But I won't go into detail here...it is very complex.
m4r35n357
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by m4r35n357 »

Alex wrote:

Not so many years ago it was thought that if you exceded 20mph you would suffocate, something to do with not being able to breath out. Then it was impossible to go faster than sound. I think the light barrier will eventually go the same way.

Besides going faster than light is dead easy, just edit the ship data plist... :lol:
I assume you are kidding?
Firstly, the people that claimed that were obviously complete feckwits who were unaware of the existence of the horse rider. Secondly, Einstein was actually a pretty clever bloke, and has a couple of pretty good theories that do a pretty good job of (amongst one or two other things) explaining why it will NEVER "go the same way" . . . unless you know otherwise ;)
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Yes, there's a difference between a scientific theory and an opinion! :D There are, however, Einstein-permissible – or at least not Einstein-prohibited – methods of "travelling faster than the speed of light". Most involve bending the universe, as far as I understand them. If you can't increase speed, shorten the distance instead ...

Which is not to say that Einstein's theories cannot or will not ever be beaten. There's a difference between a scientific theory and an Eternal Truth, too.
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Ahruman wrote:
DaddyHoggy wrote:
As ever … something easily accessible and understandable.
Ooh ’eck, aren’t we sarky today! :-p
I was trying to be nice! :lol:
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
m4r35n357
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by m4r35n357 »

Alex wrote:

To compensate for my gloomy earlier post, perhaps the table at the bottom of this link will give hope to future generations http://casa.colorado.edu/~ajsh/sr/wheel.html.
Forget the speed of light, that ain't the issue, as long as you don't intend to return ;)
Dragonfire
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Dragonfire »

Disembodied wrote:
Yes, there's a difference between a scientific theory and an opinion! :D There are, however, Einstein-permissible – or at least not Einstein-prohibited – methods of "travelling faster than the speed of light". Most involve bending the universe, as far as I understand them. If you can't increase speed, shorten the distance instead ...
Which sounds remarkably like the tesseract phenomenon in "A Wrinkle in Time"...
greenseng
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by greenseng »

Ahruman wrote:
DaddyHoggy wrote:
When I was working on ISIS at RAL…
A similar, more widely known phenomenon is cosmic ray secondary muons. Without time dilation, their half-life would only be long enough to travel 660 m, but at near light speed muons generated in the uppermost atmosphere can be detected deep underground.

Interesting link.

It was some time since I was dealing with such "things".
And then I was young and stupid. Now I'm only stupid.

But now to another topic that is maybe not so related to this thread. Or - if one is looking a little deeper: Maybe it is.
Were you the one that was interested in the book GEB - Godel, Escher, Bach?
The book looked at me today and suddenly I remembered things from another thread.

If it was you and you are still interested, there may probably be a solution.

But...

The book is in Swedish. And I don't collect books - I use them.
Therefore they never look perfect.
Coke, lemonade, coffee... and such things make their imprints.
Still... strangely enough... this book looks surprizingly good. Even if it is not perfect.
I think the reason is that it has a high quality - not only inside but also as a material object.

If you live in Sweden now I can send it to you. Just need name and address.
I am not a handy man so it is always a problem to use the posting office.
A book is not a sensitive object but one cannot only put a stamp on it and then send it.
But somehow it can probably be fixed. Maybe I have some box somewhere or there are other solutions.

Got another book from a friend and he told me: when you have read it I would be very pleased if you give it away.
It is also swedish and is written of someone Daniel Estulin.
Its name is: The Truth about the Bilderburg Group.
Strangely enough it is rather interesting.
The author is professional.

Now: If you are interesting in both or any of these books then just make me aware of that.

JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

greenseng wrote:
Thanks, but since English is my primary language I avoid translations.
greenseng
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by greenseng »

Ahruman wrote:
greenseng wrote:
Thanks, but since English is my primary language I avoid translations.

So do I - at least today.
I need much, much more control of the english language.

Dragonfire
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Dragonfire »

I wish I lived in Sweden (and spoke the language), so I could get my hands on that book. Astrophysics and theoretical sciences are two of my favorite subjects. Word to the wise, tho...don't get me going on higher dimensions and the Bermuda Triangle. It'll turn your brain to Slushee.
greenseng
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by greenseng »

Alex wrote:

You are probably right here.
It is just a question about time - well.. in many ways, I presume.
In such a travelling, the universe would probably look rather interesting. 8)

And if one cannot travel faster - then there would be some way to go around the problem.
There always is.
As Disembodied just said: one may bend the universe. Or - bend time-space.
Think that type of technique was used in the book/movie "Dune".

And... there exists of course other ways too.
We just don't know anything about them yet.

Maybe one way would be to try to travel in time.
Mama Nature would probably not like that... so she would transform the travelling to an interesting travel in space instead.
And suddenly the problem would be solved.

Dragonfire
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Dragonfire »

The trick isn't necessarily getting into the state where time/space bending is possible, as evidenced by the Bermuda Triangle [too many stories dating back to pre-Columbus about that to ignore it] and the Philadelphia Experiment, which to some extent or another is still denied by the military, as evidenced by their clever wording (just because the files are there doens't mean they don't exist...der). The trick is controlling the bend enough to actually determine where in space or time to end up.

Though some suspect Tesla may have figured that out already...God only knows.
greenseng
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by greenseng »

Dragonfire wrote:
I wish I lived in Sweden (and spoke the language), so I could get my hands on that book. Astrophysics and theoretical sciences are two of my favorite subjects. Word to the wise, tho...don't get me going on higher dimensions and the Bermuda Triangle. It'll turn your brain to Slushee.

Is this book really so hard to get ones hands on?
Obviously they are not printing it any more. That is strange. Because it is a book that must be seen as classical.
A reprinting would definitely then be needed.

Slushee :lol: Don't know what that is but it sounds fun.

I have heard the rumours about some Bermuda triangle.
But I have never dived deeper into the subject. It is simply a little too "foggy". No adequate information.

Dragonfire
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Dragonfire »

In a nutshell, upon closely examining Bermuda Triangle (and its sister phenomenon, the Devil's Triangle off the coast of Japan), you'll find that a majority of cases, even dating as far back as Columbus' log books (yes, there's one in there...Sargasso Sea was the old name for Bermuda Triangle) have the following elements in common:

>Strange lights in and above the water.
Verified by locals, scientists, witnesses. Many astrophysicists suspect that these are wormholes. I'll leave it at that.

>Electronic and magnetic instrumentation malfunctioning.
Again, Columbus verified this, as well as military personnel.

>Disappearances/instances of time/space teleportation.
This includes one case independently reported by both the pilot and two air traffic controllers of a plane being taken from the Bermuda Triangle, all the way to New Mexico over an airfield [radio connection was strangely pilot-to-airfield only, all attempts at airfield to pilot unsuccessful), and then after a few minutes, the plane ending up BACK in the Bermuda Triangle.

>A "green fog" effect, as mentioned by natives, Columbus, and many other witnesses.

In my own mind, I suspect that the Bermuda and Devil's Triangle phenomenons are tied to some naturally occurring magnetic anomalies.

And strangely enough, if you were to draw a line around the globe, touching both Devil's and Bermuda Triangles (roughly opposite each other geographically), you'd also hit Marfa, Texas (and their bizarre and photographed Aurora-like phenomenon)

Largely supposition, I know, but when you add in the Philadelphia Experiment, and a number of other bizarre phenomenon over the years, it points to the scientific plausibility of time-space bending and teleportation.

But again, controlling the bend to determine the destination...that's what no one has figured out yet. It probably isn't any more possible than controlling the weather.

(P.S. A slushee is basically a shaved ice with flavoring and sugar.)