[Release (sort of)] Extra Thargoids OXP

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Re: [Release (sort of)] Extra Thargoids OXP

Post by Cholmondely »

UK_Eliter wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:41 am
- If there are indeed any other Thargoids there, or other nasties present: die.
...thrills!
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
cag
Deadly
Deadly

Post by cag »

Stumbled across this during a search. In extra_thargoids.oxz,
extraThargoids_buggly.js, line 242

Code: Select all

primaryTargetsArray = system.shipsWithRole("patrol-frigatenavy-frigate", this.ship, 25600);
The first parameter is a concatenaton of 2 roles, "patrol-frigate" & "navy-frigate".
"Better to be thought a fool, boy, than to open your trap and remove all doubt." - Grandma [over time, just "Shut your trap... fool"]
"The only stupid questions are the ones you fail to ask." - Dad
How do I...? Nevermind.
Nite Owl
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Nite Owl »

Given that the code at line 236 is as follows:

primaryTargetsArray = system.shipsWithRole("patrol-frigate", this.ship, 25600);
Then the corrected code for line 242 should most likely be:

primaryTargetsArray = system.shipsWithRole("navy-frigate", this.ship, 25600);
Humor is the second most subjective thing on the planet

Brevity is the soul of wit and vulgarity is wit's downfall

Good Night and Good Luck - Read You Soon
UK_Eliter
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Essex (mainly industrial and occasionally anarchic)

Post by UK_Eliter »

Dear both

Thanks; fixed.

I tidied up enboxed comments in the file at issue and in other js files. Also, I added some persons that I had neglected to the acknowledgements section of the README.
NChw
Above Average
Above Average

Post by NChw »

[Advance apologies, in case this is the wrong place!]

[I have been playing oolite for years, with as many OXPs as I can load simultaneously, to give a huge variety to this excellent game. Thank you so much for all of the developers and OXP creators/maintainers.]

Having played various similar games, such as the original Elite (on a BBC-B), the egosoft X series and now Oolite, I find that there is usually some method of 'playing the system' to quickly amass kill points or cash, or both. On the original Elite, the 'flee while shooting the attacker from the rear gun as it self centred' is an example. In X2, there was a weapon (phased shockwave generator) that caused Khaak to abandon ship, leaving their expensive lasers behind...

One issue that I have discovered in my fully OXPed Oolite is that battling in hyperspace tends to generate a lot of derelict thargoid robot fighters, after the motherships have been dispatched - even if the work was done by the Navy while I lurked in the distance. All of those 'dead' robot fighters sit passively while I kill them off for very easy kill score points.
I suggest that you negate this easy point scoring, by only awarding points for kills made where the target is in 'attacking me' mode, or otherwise defined as derelict.
Nite Owl
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Nite Owl »

The other possibility is to Scoop those disabled Thargoid Robot Fighters and sell them as Alien Items for a bit of profit. If you have the ARMOURY OXZ installed then you should also be on the lookout for disabled Thargoid Defense Drones. Once Scooped these Defense Drones can be reprogrammed to work for you instead of for the Thargoids. A very handy bit of kit it is to have up to five of these very fast buggers (mounted on a single missile pylon and launched like a mine) going after your enemies.
Humor is the second most subjective thing on the planet

Brevity is the soul of wit and vulgarity is wit's downfall

Good Night and Good Luck - Read You Soon
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

NChw wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 6:07 pm
... battling in hyperspace tends to generate a lot of derelict thargoid robot fighters, after the motherships have been dispatched - even if the work was done by the Navy while I lurked in the distance. All of those 'dead' robot fighters sit passively while I kill them off for very easy kill score points...
Some players fill their holds with them instead, and cash in! Either way, it's one reason why some of us dislike GN.
I always splash inert drones, in case they re-animate.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
UK_Eliter
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by UK_Eliter »

This is indeed not really the place for general discussions of Thargoid matters (though my Interstellar Tweaks OXZ does spawn some inactive thargons.) Moderator: move?

I think that inert thargons should have a bounty of only some ten credits (even though a Thargoid attack can kill the player or cost the player thousands in repairs). Indeed perhaps in interstellar space there should be no bounty for inert thargons. I imagine that such changes could be implemented by an OXZ; but they would be better done in the core game.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

I've only just realised that you have been silently beavering away continually uploading new versions of your oxp's all the jolly time.

Questions:
1) What have you been doing to them? Minor fixes & tweaks or major radical rejigs with all sorts of new goodies added? My combat skills are so utterly abysmal that I dare not try any of them out, I'm afraid!

2) Any chance of some screen shots for Improbability Drive & Interstellar Tweaks to adorn their wiki pages with?

Hoping that all is well with you and yours out there in the (Duchy of Essex) Far East!
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
UK_Eliter
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by UK_Eliter »

Cholmondely.

ExtraThargoids: all the recent updates are minor - except for the ones that fix brokenness caused by former 'minor' updates.

ImprobabilityDrive: I was not aware that I had actually ever released a version of that OXP . .
montana05
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by montana05 »

@UK_Eliter
You might be interested in this error message:

15:41:35.135 [plist.parse.failed]: Failed to parse C:\Oolite/oolite.app/GNUstep/Library/ApplicationSupport/Oolite/ManagedAddOns/oolite.oxp.UK_Eliter.ExtraThargoids.oxz/Config/shipdata.plist as a property list.
Parse failed at line 671 (char 18914) - extra data after parsed string
Scars remind us where we've been. They don't have to dictate where we're going.
UK_Eliter
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by UK_Eliter »

@montana05

Might I refer you to my post immediately above? I think you have a version that is broken and that is not the latest version. So: update.
montana05
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by montana05 »

UK_Eliter wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:21 pm
@montana05

Might I refer you to my post immediately above? I think you have a version that is broken and that is not the latest version. So: update.
Version 6.72 as found on the expansion manager. So: correct.
UK_Eliter
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by UK_Eliter »

Montana,

Are you saying the following? You see that error (the one you mentioned) with version 6.72 of Extra Thargoids (which is, indeed, the latest version). If so, then I am perplexed - and I'll ask: what OS are you using (Windows or Mac or Linux)? I develop OXPs on Windows, and I've version 6.72, and that version passes the OXP verifier tool, and, when run, gives me no error.

EDITED.
montana05
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by montana05 »

UK_Eliter wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:49 am
Montana,

Are you saying the following? You see that error (the one you mentioned) with version 6.72 of Extra Thargoids (which is, indeed, the latest version). If so, then I am perplexed - and I'll ask: what OS are you using (Windows or Mac or Linux)? I develop OXPs on Windows, and I've version 6.72, and that version passes the OXP verifier tool, and, when run, gives me no error.

EDITED.
I am using Win10 and if you replace in line 671 your closing brace }; with } your oxz should work as intended.