22 inch monitor

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Re: 22 inch monitor

Post by Rxke »

Ganelon wrote:

Sorry Smivs. Giving people ideas is part of my job as a "Ooniversal bad influence".

Anyway, it's an ok 10$ control panel for a 400$ spaceship. :lol:
Brilliant!

Just sheer genius!

I'm dead serious, that really is a cool setup-idea...
Ganelon
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ganelon »

I agree that it's genius, Rxke.. But I really can't take credit for most of it. The basic idea comes from this guy who does it for flight simulators.

http://www.rogerdodger.net/diyflightsims.html

I've just been adapting the basic idea to Oolite and a couple of sims I play. He doesn't have setups for spaceships, or I probably would have just bought the artwork and just been done in a night. LOL He's got some really cool ideas that can be adapted though, for folks that might want a *bit* of a simpit.

Oolite isn't a simulator, but if it makes anybody more comfortable to think of having an actual control panel as "really cool arcade controls", well that works too!

Smivs, I run into pretty much the same problem. If I ever get my "overhead control panel" setup to where I don't make any changes for a month (or even a week), then I figure it'll be time to make it more permanent and "finished" looking. Who knows, maybe eventually there'll be a nice pdf sheet people can download and print out and spend an hour or so with scissors and hotglue, to turn an old keyboard into a "control panel". Or even a sensible key overlay sheet such as those that used to sometimes come with some computer games would help when a Jameson is starting out.
Sleep? Who needs sleep? Got game. No need sleep.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Ganelon wrote:
Oolite had a resolution that matched the monitor, but I noted that the bottom of the picture of the HUD/control-panel I use seems to go off the bottom of the screen a little.
Since 1.74, it’s been possible to control how HUD elements adapt to widescreen configurations using the x_origin and y_origin properties, as described here. However, this does require HUD designers to be aware of the issue, and to read release notes carefully. :-)
Corny
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Corny »

Ganelon wrote:
The idea I've been toying with is to use more than one monitor for Oolite not to get more views, but to sort of separate it into a viewscreen and an instrument panel. This would be a very crude pic of that idea *kinda* working..

[picture]

Ok, sure, not something everybody (or even anybody else) might be interested in. And I don't know much of anything about multi-monitor stuff. The crude setup in the pic took me about 45 min of tinkering to get working in Ubuntu with an nVidia graphics card and two different sized monitors, and only a bit over an hour to get everything "back to normal". :roll:
Oooh, I like that a lot. I use two screens as well, I'd appreciate if that'd work.
Or if I could get the upcoming Wii U to play Oolite - then all the buttons on HUDs would make sense since it's touch screen :D There's just the problem that they're all dummies. :(
Ganelon wrote:
Smivs wrote:
Re the overhead control panel.....stop giving me ideas :D
Sorry Smivs. Giving people ideas is part of my job as a "Ooniversal bad influence".

[picture]
That's a nice setup! :)