[RELEASE] graffiti asteroids, post your tag here

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Fatleaf
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Re: [WIP] graffiti asteroids

Post by Fatleaf »

Disembodied wrote:
But if pirates can't trust dropped cargo, then they're more likely to just split a merchantman open and scoop what falls out, rather than risk picking up a booby trap.
And what if the merchantmen carry a booby trap in their hold which is designed to survive the destruction of the ship. The pirates are back to square one. If it drops it, it could be a bomb. If it cracks the ship open, still could be a bomb! :twisted:
Find out about the early influences of Fatleaf here. Also his OXP's!
Holds the Ooniversal record for "Thread Necromancy"
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [RELEASE] graffiti asteroids, post your tag here

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

Cost is the main thing that prevents most merchant ships from deploying cargo container boobytraps. Make the cost 300 to 500 credits and have a script that replaces 1 in 500 cargo containers with a booby trap as they are spawned. Case closed. Just needs to be written.

On a side thought, GalCop would have a serious problem with boobytraps disguised as shipping containers as it would scare pilots away from picking them up. GalCop is about free commerce. This goes against it. The boobytrap would only be allowed to be sold if it had a means of distinguishing the legal status of the picker. If the picker was offender or worse it would go boom. Script 5% to missfire and just say"Boom!!!". :D If the picker was clean it would deactivate and if the picker had a free missile slot it would be installed and if no free slot then a simple fix like making it a radioactives container and a more realistic fix will have a mission screen when you dock with a 100 credit bounty for cleaning the spaceway of a boobytrap that you thought was a radioactives container. If it becomes a radioactives container when you scoop it then you can also eject a radioactives container and as long as you have a radioactives container still onboard the script would still reward you with a bounty mission screen.

A clean pilot might not throw away a radioactives container with this oxp installed. :wink:

I think the overall idea of a standard shipping container boobytrap has possibilities. :)
Take an idea from one person and twist or modify it in a different way as a return suggestion so another person can see a part of it that can apply to the oxp they are working on.

CommonSense 'Outside-the-Box' Design Studios Ltd.
WIKI+OXPs
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

People always complain about the less nice pods though. I mean look at the response I get sometimes for the ones in Pods.oxp (one or two of which could partly fill the described role).

That said the decoy is an interesting idea, I might have a play with that for Armoury.
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

CommonSenseOTB wrote:
Cost is the main thing that prevents most merchant ships from deploying cargo container boobytraps. Make the cost 300 to 500 credits and have a script that replaces 1 in 500 cargo containers with a booby trap as they are spawned. Case closed. Just needs to be written.
I don't know why anyone would buy one, though. It's a lot of money to spend, for the offchance that you might destroy some of one group of pirates. What if you dump the thing, and they ignore it? Or one of them goes for it and the rest stay on your tail? For 300Cr you'd be better off with a hardhead.

It's an entertaining idea but I'm not sure it has any practical implications. Plus if you make it deployable by NPCs you introduce a bang-you're-dead element to the game, where if the player isn't Clean, and they get unlucky on a dice roll, they die.

Personally, I think a distress beacon would have more in-game application: something that summons any unengaged police, navy and bounty-hunters within 100K, say. It would be free to fit but using it would cost you something like 100Cr for every ship that responds until you turn it off (by re-scooping it) or it goes dead (say, after 5 minutes).
Potential Debris
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Potential Debris »

OK, thread necromancy, but I can't believe I never ran into this oxp before. Brilliant! Back on topic...

How about a "Tigers Tigers Tigers!" tag? With (if the appropiate OXP is installed) a high chance of encountering a tigers gang near the 'roid?

Also, it seems to me boyracer.oxp could tie into tagging as well.

Or how about memorial grafitti? Crudely laser-burned messages commemorating lost pilots.

Even better, threats/ warnings to the player from their randomhits enemies.

Political messages (which will be targetted and destroyed by system vessels in communist or dictatorship systems)

Event-appropriate graffiti in systems affected by BlOOmberg price fluctuations.
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia (mainly industrial, feudal, TL12)

Post by maik »

I managed to miss it, too but just added it to the [wiki]OXP List[/wiki].
RyanHoots
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by RyanHoots »

If there's going to be a second version, here's a more graffiti-ish one from me...

http://oolite.ryanhoots.com/rh-asteroid.png

Potential Debris wrote:
OK, thread necromancy, but I can't believe I never ran into this oxp before. Brilliant! Back on topic...

How about a "Tigers Tigers Tigers!" tag? With (if the appropiate OXP is installed) a high chance of encountering a tigers gang near the 'roid?

Also, it seems to me boyracer.oxp could tie into tagging as well.

Or how about memorial grafitti? Crudely laser-burned messages commemorating lost pilots.

Even better, threats/ warnings to the player from their randomhits enemies.

Political messages (which will be targetted and destroyed by system vessels in communist or dictatorship systems)

Event-appropriate graffiti in systems affected by BlOOmberg price fluctuations.
That would be hard to do... it would require a texture for everything... and if random hits are random generated, it's impossible to create textures for it... but the BIOOmberg events could be doable... same with political messages and memorial graffiti.
SandJ
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by SandJ »

If you want some really special textures for asteroids, try the images in this link, especially 7 and 11:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/picture ... -Leis.html
Flying a Cobra Mk I Cobbie 3 with nothing but Explorers Club.OXP and a beam laser 4 proper lasers for company :D
Dropbox referral link 2GB of free space online + 500 Mb for the referral: good for securing work-in-progress.
Tricky
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Tricky »

Potential Debris wrote:
Or animated badgers jumping up and down :twisted: This is the future after all. Animated graffiti must have been invented.

On a different note I have this in my log file...

Code: Select all

07:27:09.374 [shipData.merge.failed]: ***** ERROR: one or more shipdata.plist entries have like_ship references that cannot be resolved: staer9_asteroid_1, staer9_asteroid_2, staer9_asteroid_3, staer9_asteroid_4, staer9_asteroid_5, staer9_asteroid_6
It seems the templates aren't available/coded in.
Staer9
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Staer9 »

Tricky wrote:
On a different note I have this in my log file...

Code: Select all

07:27:09.374 [shipData.merge.failed]: ***** ERROR: one or more shipdata.plist entries have like_ship references that cannot be resolved: staer9_asteroid_1, staer9_asteroid_2, staer9_asteroid_3, staer9_asteroid_4, staer9_asteroid_5, staer9_asteroid_6
It seems the templates aren't available/coded in.
may I suggest re-downloading it?

Those templates are definately there.
Tricky
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Tricky »

This is the link I am using, from the first post and also from the Wiki page - [EliteWiki] Graffiti_Asteroids.

http://www.box.net/shared/x74yjshz4jje06krkyar

Just re-downloaded and it still gives the same error. :(

Is there another link I missed? :?
Staer9
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Staer9 »

Tricky wrote:
This is the link I am using, from the first post and also from the Wiki page - [EliteWiki] Graffiti_Asteroids.

No, you didn't miss another link, it is in fact an error in the code.

I just checked and it turns out that I left a bit of shipdata from the iceteroids oxp that was unessecary (but that would throw up no errors if both were installed.)

Sorry for the inconveiniece.

I've uploaded the latest version to box, just use the same link as before (the one above should work)
Tricky
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Tricky »

Staer9 wrote:
Tricky wrote:

No, you didn't miss another link, it is in fact an error in the code.

I just checked and it turns out that I left a bit of shipdata from the iceteroids oxp that was unessecary (but that would throw up no errors if both were installed.)

Sorry for the inconveiniece.

I've uploaded the latest version to box, just use the same link as before (the one above should work)
Sorry, had to go out to work. I now have no warnings or errors in the logfile. :)

Good job I hadn't got around to installing Ice-asteroids OXP. :lol:

I love your work (and other contributors), it all adds to a more realistic Ooniverse IMO. The more variety, the better.

Thank you.