[RELEASE] graffiti asteroids, post your tag here

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

RyanHoots
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [RELEASE] graffiti asteroids, post your tag here

Post by RyanHoots »

OXP looks good! I've already seen some in the Cesousla system, because it has many asteroids (maybe more than Leesti).
fronclynne
Deadly
Deadly

Post by fronclynne »

Link 0
&
Link 1

Hopefully that works.

Album here.
Staer9
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Staer9 »

fronclynne wrote:
Link 0
&
Link 1

Hopefully that works.

Album here.
they will be included in the next version (or in a expansion oxp like YAH uses)
Commander Wilmot
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Commander Wilmot »

Any suggestions on a way to make the writing look faded. I want my tag to look like an extremely bored mercenary/bounty hunter spent way too much time tinkering with his ship's forward mil laser so that the power was lowered; allowing him to program his ship's flight computer to rotate the ship, while firing the forward laser, to burn letters on the asteroid spelling out "Commander Wilmot Was Here!" in 72k point Vladimir Script font. Why did he do that? Because he was bored, it was cool, and just because he could (plus he was very, very bored. Did I mention he was bored?), and finally because it was non-comformist (unlike also those other punks who went around making ostentatious, gaudy tags like every other two credit-boyracer. Yes it is also more than snobbish probably, done just to show them that he can do tags way better than anything they can do, with no prior experience, without even trying.)
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

If the tag is in a separate texture, you could use a shader to mix-merge it into the main diffuse map. That way it would be possible to make it fade away over a period of time after the tagged asteroid is spawned (or indeed to appear only after a period of time and then fade away, or only appear for a given period of time).
Staer9
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Staer9 »

If it would be easier you can just post tags over trasparency and I'll bake it onto the diffuse map,

That way it also doesn't matter what size it is so you can post directly to the page.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Yep, do the image on a transparent background, then you can go over the image with an eraser set to say 25%. This can be overlaid onto the asteroid and because it's partly transparent the 'texture' of the asteroid will be visible through it.
That's how I did mine.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

I've had a thought...

Given Griff has done decals for ships and had a go at decals for pods would this OXP benefit from using the same technique?

That way you could limit the actual Asteroid texture (memory/download heavy), and introduce random selection, placement, orientation of the tags...
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Staer9
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Staer9 »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
I've had a thought...

Given Griff has done decals for ships and had a go at decals for pods would this OXP benefit from using the same technique?

That way you could limit the actual Asteroid texture (memory/download heavy), and introduce random selection, placement, orientation of the tags...
Yes, that would work, but only on machines with shaders enabled, so lots of people miss out on the art/vandalism.
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

True, I'd sort of forgotten about that. Two different versions?
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Staer9
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Staer9 »

It would not be worth the hassle of making a decal version if there was also just going to be a non-decal version to accompany it...
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Re: [WIP] graffiti asteroids

Post by Griff »

Killer Wolf wrote:
i think you should do a Wile E Coyote one : paint a hyperspace cloud on it and see if any tries to fly into it :-D
:lol: This is a great idea! Actually is there a way to get all ships hostile to the player to all switch target, i mean could we make some sort of cargo-pod based decoy device that when it gets ejected sends all the hostile ships after it instead of you?
Fatleaf

Post by Fatleaf »

Griff wrote:
Killer Wolf wrote:
i think you should do a Wile E Coyote one : paint a hyperspace cloud on it and see if any tries to fly into it :-D
:lol: This is a great idea! Actually is there a way to get all ships hostile to the player to all switch target, i mean could we make some sort of cargo-pod based decoy device that when it gets ejected sends all the hostile ships after it instead of you?
And then it explodes! :lol:
Find out about the early influences of Fatleaf here. Also his OXP's!
Holds the Ooniversal record for "Thread Necromancy"
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

Fatleaf wrote:
Griff wrote:
Killer Wolf wrote:
And then it explodes! :lol:
Yes.

If you dump cargo and if the ships AI's go after dumped cargo then one could create a mine with a scanclass of cargo and have it explode when a ship that is hostile comes within range. It would need its own script. Perhaps even just the role of pirate would work good. Would be some sort of merchant decoy mine. :wink:
Take an idea from one person and twist or modify it in a different way as a return suggestion so another person can see a part of it that can apply to the oxp they are working on.

CommonSense 'Outside-the-Box' Design Studios Ltd.
WIKI+OXPs
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

CommonSenseOTB wrote:
If you dump cargo and if the ships AI's go after dumped cargo then one could create a mine with a scanclass of cargo and have it explode when a ship that is hostile comes within range. It would need its own script. Perhaps even just the role of pirate would work good. Would be some sort of merchant decoy mine. :wink:
One problem might be that when pirates decide to go after dropped cargo, they cease to be hostile; on the scanner, at least, they go from red to yellow.

One conceptual problem with this might be that the reason merchant ships drop their cargo is to try to persuade attacking pirates to let them live. Pirates are presumably more interested in stealing the cargo than in killing ships (you don't shoot a cow before milking it; I learned that in Dairy Farming 101 :)). But if pirates can't trust dropped cargo, then they're more likely to just split a merchantman open and scoop what falls out, rather than risk picking up a booby trap.