[RELEASE] Icesteroids V2

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Re: Icesteroids

Post by Cholmondely »

montana05 wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 2:33 am
I didn't have a look at both OXP's, so now I am just guessing. I do believe that the splinters will provide minerals, nothing else. To spawn water, you will need to add more splinters containing it. I am still waiting for advice from phkb if this is a wanted feature or just another bug in the core game.
Montana, I found this little snippet higher up in this thread:
Eric Walch wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:23 pm
snork wrote:
Without claiming to be able to really follow plists / scripts, I think the reference(s) is(are) not totally circular - ......
: the 2nd generation ice-boulders will not produce more ice-boulders when shot, but just vanish. reliably so, for me.
They look the same, but do not behave the same.
The definition is circular because debris_role for the boulders is the same boulder again. It does not lead to circular behaviour because Oolite does see the second generation boulders as splinters and ignores any debris_role for them. It still looks buggy when you blow up a boulder and get back 2 identical boulders of the same size. It would have been more realistic to define splinter as a shrunk down size of the boulders.

That you get alloys when a big thing explodes is defined in oolite itself. Stuff up to a mass of 25000 does not generate alloy, 25,000 till 100,000 generates 1 alloy, 100,000 till 400,000 generates 2 alloys and so on. [n_alloys = floor(sqrtf(sqrtf(mass / 25000.0)))]

The current 'splinters' have a weight of about 60,000 and are destined to produce one alloy. There are some forces that lower this value. In this case it will be 55% of the times one alloy. The way to avoid getting alloys would be making them smaller so they stay below the critical mass of 25,000.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
montana05 wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 3:10 am
Cholmondely wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 11:50 am
2) SW Economy
This oxp introduces water as a commodity. Could scooped icesteroids count - or would they need melting and distilling? And how would one include this in the game? Some sort of code in SW Economics, maybe?
If you want to keep it simple, just include a simple script to this OXP:

Check the market if water is a commodity
If yes, spawn some additional splinters containing water to scoop after a boulder is destroyed. Splinters are quite similar, with containers so easy to handle.
How do I add a check for water being a commodity? What would the code look like (or where could I find it?).

And do I use "debris_role" = "water"; ?
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?