[RELEASE] Icesteroids V2

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Re: [RELEASE] Icesteroids

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Wildeblood wrote:
No offense, people, but an ice processor or anything else that turns plain water into fuel, money or anything else useful is the lamest idea ever. The only thing an ice processor OXP should do is improve the efficiency of beer chilling if you also have the beer cooler OXP. Why can't these ice asteroids just be, you know, ice.
You obviously haven't read the rest of the thread or you wouldn't have jumped in with both feet. There are several posts discussing the origins of the Iceteroids (back story - we do that a lot on the forum) and that they could hold complex gases and minerals in their icy crystal structure.

I'm not saying it's a great idea, but it's an idea. Nobody suggested turning plain water into fuel. However, I would also point out that this is possible right now - but separating the hydrogen from the oxygen in water requires more energy than can be usefully utilised in the released Hydrogen (and it's difficult to store!)
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
You obviously haven't read the rest of the thread or you wouldn't have jumped in with both feet.
I can assure you that I have read it all. I'm sorry if you found one of my several posts in this thread offensive, it certainly wasn't meant to be.
"So anti-globalist, he's practically a flat-earther."
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Wildeblood wrote:
DaddyHoggy wrote:
You obviously haven't read the rest of the thread or you wouldn't have jumped in with both feet.
I can assure you that I have read it all. I'm sorry if you found one of my several posts in this thread offensive, it certainly wasn't meant to be.
No problems - I had just assumed, since you were talking about "plain water" and several posts specifically talked about "minerals" and gas extraction - you had missed something.

I think calling anybody's suggestion "lame" is perhaps a little harsh/rude (wouldn't say offensive) - feel free to say "not for me", "doesn't fit my Ooniverse" etc, but all ideas are welcome and open for discussion.

Many an oxp has been born from what initially appears to be a completely oddball idea.

I wouldn't want anybody to think they couldn't post an idea here for fear of being ridiculed. We're not that kind of Forum.
Selezen wrote:
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
Wildeblood wrote:
DaddyHoggy wrote:
No problems - I had just assumed, since you were talking about "plain water" and several posts specifically talked about "minerals" and gas extraction - you had missed something.

I think calling anybody's suggestion "lame" is perhaps a little harsh/rude (wouldn't say offensive) - feel free to say "not for me", "doesn't fit my Ooniverse" etc, but all ideas are welcome and open for discussion.

Many an oxp has been born from what initially appears to be a completely oddball idea.

I wouldn't want anybody to think they couldn't post an idea here for fear of being ridiculed. We're not that kind of Forum.
Well if you want lame how about a Food Processor that turns slaves and escape capsules(even Star Jellies :lol: ) into Food(edible arts graduates and poets?)with people screaming as they're processed! :twisted:
Give me time and I can top that one I'm sure. :P
I have not yet begun to lame! :lol:

But seriously for a second(one only) this board is an incredible think tank like sounding board of ideas. Who knows what one idea seen by one person, twisted/modified in a different way as a return suggestion and then seen by a third person who sees a part of it that can apply to the oxp they are currently working on can do. I get as much inspiration as the kooky suggestions I give might inspire others. Much is accomplished in this way. After all, oddball suggestions inspired me to do HUD design. I couldn't even imagine the stuff I might be doing a year from now. 8)
Take an idea from one person and twist or modify it in a different way as a return suggestion so another person can see a part of it that can apply to the oxp they are working on.

CommonSense 'Outside-the-Box' Design Studios Ltd.
WIKI+OXPs
SandJ
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by SandJ »

CommonSenseOTB wrote:
Who knows what one idea seen by one person, twisted/modified in a different way as a return suggestion and then seen by a third person who sees a part of it that can apply to the oxp they are currently working on can do. I get as much inspiration as the kooky suggestions I give might inspire others.
Saeed : "Well, I want a bishop."
Arash : "A bishop? What? Well, only if it goes diagonally. To maintain balance."
Saeed : "Diagonally? FFS, what are you about? Well, if my bishop can only go diagonally, your stupid 'whizzy castle' thing can only go up and down."
Habibeh: "When you two boys have quite finished, I have decided I am going to have a horsie."
Saeed : "A HORSIE? Who said you could play anyway, eh?"
Habibeh: "Mum said to tell you I could play too."
Arash : "OK then. But your 'horsie' has to go two spaces one way and one space another."
Habibeh: "MUM! They're not playing nicely!"

And that's exactly how it happened.

Probably.
Flying a Cobra Mk I Cobbie 3 with nothing but Explorers Club.OXP and a beam laser 4 proper lasers for company :D
Dropbox referral link 2GB of free space online + 500 Mb for the referral: good for securing work-in-progress.
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

SandJ wrote:
CommonSenseOTB wrote:
Who knows what one idea seen by one person, twisted/modified in a different way as a return suggestion and then seen by a third person who sees a part of it that can apply to the oxp they are currently working on can do. I get as much inspiration as the kooky suggestions I give might inspire others.
Saeed : "Well, I want a bishop."
Arash : "A bishop? What? Well, only if it goes diagonally. To maintain balance."
Saeed : "Diagonally? FFS, what are you about? Well, if my bishop can only go diagonally, your stupid 'whizzy castle' thing can only go up and down."
Habibeh: "When you two boys have quite finished, I have decided I am going to have a horsie."
Saeed : "A HORSIE? Who said you could play anyway, eh?"
Habibeh: "Mum said to tell you I could play too."
Arash : "OK then. But your 'horsie' has to go two spaces one way and one space another."
Habibeh: "MUM! They're not playing nicely!"

And that's exactly how it happened.

Probably.
Genius. :lol: 8)
Selezen wrote:
Staer9
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [RELEASE] Icesteroids V2

Post by Staer9 »

New significant update, now with Ice boulders!
Micha
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Micha »

CommonSenseOTB wrote:
Without it scooping an ice splinter would have minor negative consequences such as taking up cargo space, can't be jettisoned because the cargo jettison system is only designed for cargo cannisters and ...
Oh really? So how come I can jettison standard asteroid splinters? :)
The glass is twice as big as it needs to be.
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Staer9 wrote:
Thank you.

The first entry in the shipdata file has a redundant debris role key.

Code: Select all

"staer9_rock1+2_template" =
			{
				is_template = 1;
				ai_type = "dumbAI.plist";
				bounty = 10;
				debris_role = "ice_boulder";
				cargo_type = "CARGO_NOT_CARGO";
				energy_recharge_rate = 0;
				debris_role = "staer9_boulder";		
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Micha wrote:
CommonSenseOTB wrote:
Without it scooping an ice splinter would have minor negative consequences such as taking up cargo space, can't be jettisoned because the cargo jettison system is only designed for cargo cannisters and ...
Oh really? So how come I can jettison standard asteroid splinters? :)
Even if they do take up cargo space or clog the jettison system - surely a quick trip to the sun should melt them away?
Selezen wrote:
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

-1 heat shielding on them then? :lol:
Staer9
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Staer9 »

Wildeblood wrote:
Staer9 wrote:
Thank you.

The first entry in the shipdata file has a redundant debris role key.

"staer9_rock1+2_template" =
			{
				is_template = 1;
				ai_type = "dumbAI.plist";
				bounty = 10;
				debris_role = "ice_boulder";
				cargo_type = "CARGO_NOT_CARGO";
				energy_recharge_rate = 0;
				debris_role = "staer9_boulder";		
Woops :oops: , updating now...

Same download link still works
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia (mainly industrial, feudal, TL12)

Post by maik »

From the Ore Processor thread:
Eric Walch wrote:
snork wrote:
The other thing : Maybe add a notice - but in which page(s) ? - in the wiki about incompatability with the icesteroids oxp ?
Icesteroids crack into ice-boulders, and those into 2nd-generation-ice-boulders - when I shoot the latter they usually just go "pouf", but sometimes an already-processed alloy remains (scarred metal fragment).
I am not sure if these alloys come from some strange interaction with oreprocessor, or are based in the icesteroids oxp itself ...
I just downloaded this oxp to see if it can be implemented in ore_processor. But icesteroids oxp has no special splinters defined, so it can't be an incompatibility with ore_processor. It is a bug in icesteroids itself. It uses a circular reference that defines boulders as being the debris of boulders. Only when boulders explode, oolite gives the result a scanclass of cargo so they can be scooped. That means the second generation boulders are no longer rock but cargo and if they are massive, cargo can result in metal pieces.

I have not tried it, but I assume you can scoop the second generation of boulders :P
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Thanks maik for linking it to the correct topic.

I now tried scooping them, but that does not work. The circular reference is because the asteroids have a debris-role of boulders. And the boulders inherit this same role because of the like_ship relation to the asteroids. There should be a new defined debris-role in the boulders that defines splinters.

I also noticed that the asteroids are not smoothed. You see every single triangle what looks stupid for something that should be non-manmade. In shipdata smoothing is defined, but smoothing is only effective for every smoothing surface. And for the asteroids and boulders, every triangle is defined as a smoothing surface by itself. e.g. in wings3d you get this when you define all edges as hard-edges.

Best is to correct it in the original model and recalculate a new dat file. Or you can edit the dat file yourself by redefineing all the different surfaces:

FACES
0,0,0,	....
1,0,0,	.....
2,0,0,	....
3,0,0,	....
into one single:

FACES
0,0,0,	....
0,0,0,	.....
0,0,0,	....
0,0,0,	....
snork
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by snork »

Eric Walch wrote:
Thanks maik for linking it to the correct topic.

I now tried scooping them, but that does not work. The circular reference is because the asteroids have a debris-role of boulders. And the boulders inherit this same role because of the like_ship relation to the asteroids. There should be a new defined debris-role in the boulders that defines splinters.
Hej,
Without claiming to be able to really follow plists / scripts, I think the reference(s) is(are) not totally circular - with all them staer_boulder_1+2, ... 8+9 ... etc. - , as in : the 2nd generation ice-boulders will not produce more ice-boulders when shot, but just vanish. reliably so, for me.
They look the same, but do not behave the same.

And it was discussed/ decided by Staer9 they should not produce splinters, on purpose - after all they are meant to be made from water (or methane or whatever ?) so not contain any minerals etc. .
That makes sense to me, it is just that with not falling apart to splinters, they are not really incompatible in the strictest meaning, but still kind of unsuitable to be combined with ore-processor.

When playing Zeke's mining scenario, I wanted to add all asteroid oxps*, to have more variety, but the icesteroids were too prominent (high %-age of all asteroids) so only very little income was possible.
I then decided to remove icesteroids (and grafitti asteroids) and did not look much further into it.

(* I have another "bug-report" for Asteroid Storm coming :mrgreen: )