[RELEASE] Icesteroids V2

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [RELEASE] Icesteroids

Post by Wildeblood »

The ice asteroid should disintegrate straight to splinter-sized shards, and if anyone is silly enough to scoop them the scoop message should say "Now everything in the cargo hold is wet, genius." Then delete some randomly chosen cargo. :twisted:
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

Wildeblood wrote:
The ice asteroid should disintegrate straight to splinter-sized shards, and if anyone is silly enough to scoop them the scoop message should say "Now everything in the cargo hold is wet, genius." Then delete some randomly chosen cargo. :twisted:
I agree wholeheartedly.
SandJ
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by SandJ »

The ice would be contaminated with random minerals and complex carbon molecules making it dangerously unsafe for drinking by any species or known xenomorph.

However, the mineral content would be so low as to make it worthless.

As has been said, loading it into the cargo bay would melt it into a mucky puddle.

All in all, it is a good job that 'splinters' just boil off or sublime to atomic water molecules once hit by a mining laser, or subjected to the heat radiating off one's ship / laser / engines.

Ice comets (and icesteroids) are pretty ... pretty worthless.

HTH :)

Commander SandJ MSc Hons (Space Debris Economics)
Flying a Cobra Mk I Cobbie 3 with nothing but Explorers Club.OXP and a beam laser 4 proper lasers for company :D
Dropbox referral link 2GB of free space online + 500 Mb for the referral: good for securing work-in-progress.
Spartan
Competent
Competent

Post by Spartan »

Considering that you are using the fuel scoop to pick up cargo, I am thinking it would get routed to the fuel system. Which would dump contaminants and process the quirium (if any) but that's just my take.
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Although this would be a new take on calling out The OO (The Oolite Ordnance - the ooniverse's equivalent of The AA - see Lazarus in the Fiction Section) stranded because you've flooded the engine...
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

Spartan wrote:
Considering that you are using the fuel scoop to pick up cargo, I am thinking it would get routed to the fuel system. Which would dump contaminants and process the quirium (if any) but that's just my take.
That'd be cool if the ice splinters give ~0.1 LY fuel each.
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Switeck wrote:
Spartan wrote:
With a percentage chance that it contaminated the entire fuel tank which was then automatically jettisoned as a precaution by the fuel system.

and/or

percentage chance that such fuel cause a minor instability in the engines when they created the wormhole, thus increasing chance of a mis-jump...
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Staer9
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Staer9 »

I am not a brilliant coder, so there is no chance that I would be able to do it and it work

Someone else can make it though
SandJ
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by SandJ »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
Switeck wrote:
With a percentage chance that it contaminated the entire fuel tank which was then automatically jettisoned as a precaution by the fuel system.

and/or

percentage chance that such fuel cause a minor instability in the engines when they created the wormhole, thus increasing chance of a mis-jump...
"That damn cheap recycled bio-quirium - I just knew it would clog the carburettor eventually." Commander SandJ, drifting in a cloud of greasy black smoke (that smells of fish).

It could also decrease the time to the next major service. So yeah, it's cheap now, and it will get you out of a hole, but it'll cost you later.

Best not to do it in the Sol system, however. If HMRC catch you with that stuff in your tank, they'll do you for not paying the proper duty on your blue Quirium. (Do I need to explain about fuel tax to non-UK people? Probably not.)
Flying a Cobra Mk I Cobbie 3 with nothing but Explorers Club.OXP and a beam laser 4 proper lasers for company :D
Dropbox referral link 2GB of free space online + 500 Mb for the referral: good for securing work-in-progress.
Staer9
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Staer9 »

SandJ wrote:
Best not to do it in the Sol system, however. If HMRC catch you with that stuff in your tank, they'll do you for not paying the proper duty on your blue Quirium. (Do I need to explain about fuel tax to non-UK people? Probably not.)
I've been running on non-taxed red quirium for ages now... GalCop can never tell until I fire a Q-mine at them, by then it's to late
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
Switeck wrote:
Spartan wrote:

and/or

I don't think we need penalties for converting ice splinters to fuel, we just need an Ice Processor.oxp just like the ore processor and have it reward fuel for ice splinters. Without it scooping an ice splinter would have minor negative consequences such as taking up cargo space, can't be jettisoned because the cargo jettison system is only designed for cargo cannisters and a fine/fee at the station when you dock for cleaning up and removing the ice splinters from your cargo bay and the mess in the landing bay and a sizeable delay. As a balance, ice splinters would have the name CAUTION! Ice Splinter to warn you if you target it before scooping and with an Ice Processor there is no problem or negative but the amount of fuel rewarded is variable and probably would be 50% chance of useless water(would be ejected) 25% chance of 0.1 ly fuel and 25% chance of 0.2ly fuel awarded.

I think this could be a nice addition to oolite. Who wants to make the Ice Processor .oxp? :)
Take an idea from one person and twist or modify it in a different way as a return suggestion so another person can see a part of it that can apply to the oxp they are working on.

CommonSense 'Outside-the-Box' Design Studios Ltd.
WIKI+OXPs
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

No offense, people, but an ice processor or anything else that turns plain water into fuel, money or anything else useful is the lamest idea ever. The only thing an ice processor OXP should do is improve the efficiency of beer chilling if you also have the beer cooler OXP. Why can't these ice asteroids just be, you know, ice.
"So anti-globalist, he's practically a flat-earther."
Lone_Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lone_Wolf »

Wildeblood wrote:
No offense, people, but an ice processor or anything else that turns plain water into fuel, money or anything else useful is the lamest idea ever. The only thing an ice processor OXP should do is improve the efficiency of beer chilling if you also have the beer cooler OXP. Why can't these ice asteroids just be, you know, ice.
Maybe the ice processor could brew Beer ?

OXPs : My user page

Retired, reachable at [email protected]
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Lone_Wolf wrote:
A most excellent suggestion. :)
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Lone_Wolf wrote:
I added a Robotic Stewardess to look after the passengers. Like the Beer Cooler OXP, it does exactly nothing except add an entry to equipment list. I thought when I learn how, I'll add a script that makes it pop up console messages from to time. Right in the middle of a dogfight: "Hey boss, the passengers are complaining about the bumpy ride." That sort of thing. Anyway, if there's any beer or coffee brewing to be done, or similar kitchen-related tasks, that's the Robotic Stewardess's job. Every ship should have one.

You might be onto something, Lone Wolf; maybe these ice asteroids are an ingredient of the liquor/wines cargo. I said right at the start Staer9 made them too glowing and they look radioactive. Maybe it's the special radioactive asteroid water that puts the evil in Leestiian Evil Juice and the lethal in Vetiticeian Lethal Brandy?