[UPDATED RELEASE] Furball 1.8

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

m4r35n357
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [UPDATED RELEASE] Furball 1.5

Post by m4r35n357 »

CaptSolo wrote:
El Viejo wrote:
The only brawler I don't like to see is the Imperial Courier which I gave three forward military lasers. What's more, they are not breakable.
Hehe yer gets what yer has installed ;)
Chances are he'll get distracted if you stay out of his way for long enough . . .
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Re: [UPDATED RELEASE] Furball 1.6

Post by Cody »

Que... I never said that! <chuckles>
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
m4r35n357
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by m4r35n357 »

El Viejo wrote:
Que... I never said that! <chuckles>
Oopsie! Note to self: don't attempt anything intelligent whilst knackered ;)
CaptSolo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CaptSolo »

"Shiver me timbers!" That is what I think when I spot the IC launching from the station directly behind me... And notice the scanner crowded with a bunch of scrappy brawlers and nervous traders. I did find I can leave the fray untouched, if I so choose. Problem is I don't usually so choose. Great fun, this!
m4r35n357
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [UPDATED RELEASE] Furball 1.8

Post by m4r35n357 »

Bump for maketing purposes. Have Fun!
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

m4r35n357 wrote:
Bump for maketing purposes. Have Fun!
I don't think this is a good idea. If everyone starts bumping posts just for increasing their download stats, we will end up with a bunch of threads with new posts but without any new information in. This decreases the signal/noise ratio in the forum and makes the threads actually discussing something get lost in the above mentioned noise. I would appreciate it greatly if this did not become standard practice.
Rorschachhamster
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Rorschachhamster »

There is a new version up, and I do appreciate this. :D

But m4r35n357 should propably mention this in his new comment.... :wink:
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Rorschachhamster wrote:
There is a new version up, and I do appreciate this. :D

But m4r35n357 should propably mention this in his new comment.... :wink:
Agreed.. I didn't even realise this until you pointed it out. :shock:

Downloading.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
m4r35n357
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by m4r35n357 »

Er, thanks guys, not quite a furball but yes there is a new version, I usually put new stuff in the top message, should have linked it really, https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10023 or go to the Wiki page in my sig.
And I think we all know that new releases are BAD for download stats ;)
laxori666
Competent
Competent

Post by laxori666 »

Hullo folks,

Just wanted to put in a feature request - it seems that Furballs don't persist across saved games. I will often exit the station to see a huge battle going on, so I'll jump in and start scooping up escape pods - easy money I say, though I do run into them a bit too.. eagerly.. on occasion.. oh well :lol: . In any case, I'll often get caught in the crossfire and die, at which point I re-load and exit in anticipation only to see that the fight is not there this time around!

I'm not 100% sure this is the Furball but it seems more likely than not that it is. If Furball does persist across saves, then great! If not then, maybe something for 1.9? =).

Cheers
m4r35n357
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by m4r35n357 »

Heh, I'm not exactly flush with free time ATM as I'm working, so I'll have to think about that one. Not even sure how to save a convincing replica of a rumble in progress . . . prolly lots of variables ;)
When I took on Furball I was really more excited about an interesting obstable to docking, so I dropped the outgoing Furballs entirely. However I have put variables in the main script to (amongst other things) enable them. Have a look if this interests you, they are commented.
Also, if there is one going on when you dock, it will still be going if you relaunch quickly enough.
In the meantime if anyone else would like to make the changes, I am happy to stand aside . . . but I'd appreciate if you could let me and others know by posting here.
laxori666
Competent
Competent

Post by laxori666 »

m4r35n357 wrote:
Heh, I'm not exactly flush with free time ATM as I'm working, so I'll have to think about that one. Not even sure how to save a convincing replica of a rumble in progress . . . prolly lots of variables ;)[...]Also, if there is one going on when you dock, it will still be going if you relaunch quickly enough.
Ah yeah this is the situation I was thinking of. I've noticed that - if I dock & run back out it's still in progress. But if I dock, save, run back out, die, then load, and run out again - no more rumble =(. I'm not familiar with the game mechanics. I understand that the game is regenerated entirely when you load. So I'm not sure if it would be a simple thing to save the state of the ships outside the station. I'll probably start digging thru these things myself soon enough.
m4r35n357 wrote:
In the meantime if anyone else would like to make the changes, I am happy to stand aside . . . but I'd appreciate if you could let me and others know by posting here.
Sure thing.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

laxori666 wrote:
I'll jump in and start scooping up escape pods - easy money I say
Heh.. that's my favourite tactic in a furball too.. ignore the combat, so far as possible, and go for all the escape pods.. it's generally more profitable, not to mention less wear and tear on the gear. :mrgreen:
m4r35n357 wrote:
Heh, I'm not exactly flush with free time ATM as I'm working, so I'll have to think about that one. Not even sure how to save a convincing replica of a rumble in progress . . . prolly lots of variables ;)
It probably isn't necessary to replicate the "rumble in progress" so much as simply ensure that a rumble ensues.. at a guess, that could be done by a single "furball in progress" switch set in the gamesave to trigger a furball upon reloading. Deciding on the conditions that clear the switch might be tricky, though.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Milo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Milo »

Just wondering, is anyone still using this OXP with Oolite 1.88? Was looking over old OXPs and came across it. Saving a furball in progress mission variable seems quite straightforward to me. It could either be cleared upon leaving the station aegis or entering witchspace ... or upon all of the ships involved settling their differences, I suppose. As an alternative approach, instead of simply a Boolean “furball in progress” flag, we could save a list of the involved ship types, in the order launched, (and remove any that, ahem, ceased to be a factor) to more faithfully re-create the scenario... it’s an interesting problem!

Edit: looks like the link for 1.8 is broken, does anyone have a copy to share?
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Milo wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:24 am
Just wondering, is anyone still using this OXP with Oolite 1.88? Was looking over old OXPs and came across it. Saving a furball in progress mission variable seems quite straightforward to me. It could either be cleared upon leaving the station aegis or entering witchspace ... or upon all of the ships involved settling their differences, I suppose. As an alternative approach, instead of simply a Boolean “furball in progress” flag, we could save a list of the involved ship types, in the order launched, (and remove any that, ahem, ceased to be a factor) to more faithfully re-create the scenario... it’s an interesting problem!

Edit: looks like the link for 1.8 is broken, does anyone have a copy to share?
Links on wiki page now updated (from "www".box.com to "app".box.com) - and they now work.

Furball 1.8 is here
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?