Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: David Braben's Elite: Dangerous

Post by Gimi »

Griff wrote:
if that little guy hiding off to the right in the shadows of that cobra III pic is to scale then there's something seriously wrong with the size of that cockpit :?
no wonder the cobra III needs 2 pilots, they have to stand on each others shoulders just to be able to reach up to the steering wheel :o
Nope, if it's to scale, it's not a cockpit, it's a bridge. A ship has a bridge. At least that makes sense in my world. :mrgreen:
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

ha, yeah I suppose you're right, although 'bridge' sounds like it should be on the larger ships, the ones that are basically tankers or the Starship Enterprise :)
It's a fab reworking, looks a bit squished and it really misses that 'prong' that sticks out of the front, hope it doesn't look too silly when those oblong flaps open and a pair of daft sci-fi guns pop out - I won't post that pic of the woman in her machine gun bra again but I really wish they weren't going with that idea in E:D
Wolfwood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wolfwood »

The size of the window is only realistic if you consider that you want to give the pilot as unimpeded view as possible. And, yes, I always imagined it as a bridge where you actually had some room to move around in for two pilots (at least it was described that way in the Dark Wheel).
Author of Tales from the Frontier - official Elite 4 anthology.
Author of Marcan Rayger adventures - unofficial fan-fic novellas set in the Frontier universe.
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

My face got sooo long when I saw those specs. No thanks, I'll stick to Oolite and ulite.de
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

The Elite: Dangerous Store is now open.

Go here: https://store.zaonce.net/ and login with your existing account details (same as the account for the Backers App). Don't create a new account unless you didn't have one already.

I'm installing the Alpha now. The installer is only 13mb so I don't believe thats the full download.
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

I've had a little play with the Alpha of ED, and can report that its not as bad on my computer as I had feared. Yes I have to play it in a reduced resolution, and its quite slow, but its playable (just).

Theres a fair few videos of people playing the Alpha on YouTube already, so I suggest you get yourself over there if you could not afford to get in the Alpha.
Last edited by JazHaz on Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

I've watched a few video's on the alpha. Somehow it is 'as expected' a different game. How is the 'feel' in comparison with Oolite, Elite?.
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

pagroove wrote:
I've watched a few video's on the alpha. Somehow it is 'as expected' a different game. How is the 'feel' in comparison with Oolite, Elite?.
I have only played a little. RL takes precedence.

With that in mind, it is very different, but also instantly recognisable as Elite in my view.
Controls are very good even on my laptop, but takes some getting used to.. Throttle is a bit sensitive/quirky, but has already been changed for the next build I hear.

If I was to compare, I would say the controls are 80% Elite, 20% Frontier. Describing it as Newtonian with a great degree of flight assist (strong directional/vectored thrust to aid flight) is in my view quite accurate. (Note: This is my personal opinion, I'm sure a lot of you will disagree)
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Gimi wrote:
pagroove wrote:
I have only played a little. RL takes precedence.

With that in mind, it is very different, but also instantly recognisable as Elite in my view.
Controls are very good even on my laptop, but takes some getting used to.. Throttle is a bit sensitive/quirky, but has already been changed for the next build I hear.

If I was to compare, I would say the controls are 80% Elite, 20% Frontier. Describing it as Newtonian with a great degree of flight assist (strong directional/vectored thrust to aid flight) is in my view quite accurate. (Note: This is my personal opinion, I'm sure a lot of you will disagree)
Well that sounds good. Let us know about nice/and not so nice things you come across.
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

can you fly towards and reach that earth-like planet that looks like it might be in the background or is it just so far away that it would take days to get there - I was wondering if you'd just bounce off it or something. The video frontier put out today to announce the alpha's release looked really great, the combat looks great fun already. Was it a massive download? I don't like the idea of this 13MB installer that then goes off and downloads the rest of the game, that's going to knacker my cunning plan of downloading everything using works fast internet connection, I was hoping the game would be just one massive exe file. I pledged extra on the kickstarter to get the disk version to save on the downloading - hope that when that arrives in the post next year it's not just got that 13mb file on it :lol:
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

My first video for Elite Dangerous Alpha is being uploaded as I type this.

If you want to watch it, it's available at the following link.

http://youtu.be/PGjhXtSdfYU

After having been seriously worried that my machine wouldn't be able to cope, I was pleasantly surprised that the game, although a little slow is quite playable.

I ran it at a seriously low resolution (1024 x 768) to get the best out of my GPU I could. I was surprised that recording the video (with the Razor Game Booster) didn't impact on the game as far as I could tell. Unfortunately I couldn't tell what FPS I was getting.
Last edited by JazHaz on Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Griff wrote:
Was it a massive download? I don't like the idea of this 13MB installer that then goes off and downloads the rest of the game, that's going to knacker my cunning plan of downloading everything using works fast internet connection, I was hoping the game would be just one massive exe file.
Unpacked the game directory is just over 1.1 gb. It didn't take too long to download with my 38mbps fibre broadband, about 30-40 seconds.
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

thanks for looking into that, that's probably about 2-3 hours to download for me :lol: I imagine the final game will be much more than that though just from art assets and texture files and whatnot so I'll have to hold out for the disk version - which will probably be an out of date build as soon as it's sent out to the post and require a massive download patch :(
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Griff wrote:
I pledged extra on the kickstarter to get the disk version to save on the downloading - hope that when that arrives in the post next year it's not just got that 13mb file on it :lol:
Least that file won't fit on a floppy disc! :twisted:
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Watched your vid. It seems that crashing into a ship is not so dangerous as it is in Oolite?
I like the sounds.