Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: David Braben's Elite: Dangerous

Post by Gimi »

It's a Sidewinder.

"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
Wolfwood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wolfwood »

It's a Sidewinder. There's really no mistaking the shape. If you are uncertain, you need to play 50 hours of Oolite to pay for your sins. If that doesn't help, then a further helping of 100 hours should do it.
Author of Tales from the Frontier - official Elite 4 anthology.
Author of Marcan Rayger adventures - unofficial fan-fic novellas set in the Frontier universe.
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Pfff. As they haven't released the Cobra specs yet, it could have been.
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

Oculus rift support? I'll pass thanks!

Cheers,

Drew.
Drew is an author of SF and Fantasy Novels
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
Wolfwood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wolfwood »

JazHaz wrote:
Pfff. As they haven't released the Cobra specs yet, it could have been.
Well, we saw a peek of the Cobra in the latest video - untextured and a very quick look, though. It looks pretty much like the original except for a slightly bulkier top-middle section.
Author of Marcan Rayger adventures - unofficial fan-fic novellas set in the Frontier universe.
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

New Peek of the Week:

It doesn’t always work out as planned!
Wolfwood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wolfwood »

Already complained about that explosion on the Frontier forums, but I'll just have to say it again that that looks way too much like an atmospheric explosion. The explosions in Oolite are much more realistic.
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Wolfwood wrote:
I'll just have to say it again that that looks way too much like an atmospheric explosion.
With all the clouds in the background, are you sure it isn't one? They did say we'd be able to visit the upper atmospheres of gas giants for fuel skimming.
Wolfwood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wolfwood »

cim wrote:
Wolfwood wrote:
I'll just have to say it again that that looks way too much like an atmospheric explosion.
With all the clouds in the background, are you sure it isn't one? They did say we'd be able to visit the upper atmospheres of gas giants for fuel skimming.
I'd be thrilled if it were, but given that Frontier has been pretty enthusiastic with nebulae in their images in the past, I assume that those are another example of nebulae, rather than clouds. If the _are_ clouds, I'll have a reason to cheer!
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Peek of the Week 5, 24th October 2013:

Here we see some concept exploring screen space used in close combat in a busy scene, the GUI layout has changed quite a bit since this concept was drawn, but it's investigations like these that help identify and address potential issues. In other words concept is more than just a pretty picture!
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

As regards perception of movement in the void, this interested me greatly:
Mike Evans wrote:
We're currently going with a subtle yet still visible periphery cloud like particle field that you fly through. Thus there are no dots or grains like in many other space games but there is something there to indicate movement and drifting. We can also scale up the effect and add more granular particulates when in and around dense asteroid or ring systems but even in the void we still have it visible around the periphery of the cockpit.

To reinforce the above we also have a concept of motion ladders that are visible on the HUD when in motion and show movement in the three relative axes around your ship. Thus there is one for vertical movement, one for horizontal and finally one for forward/backwards motion. Each ladder has three scales, each being a series of lines that move as the ship does. Each scale moves at a different rate, the largest lines belonging to the smallest scale and thus move very quickly as you get up to speed. The shortest lines move the slowest and represent much larger distances covered as they move by. Each set of lines belonging to a particular scale also fade out when their motion is no longer relevant to the player to help in readability. Thus when you're going really fast the longest lines belonging to the smallest scale almost completely fade away as they're no longer relevant for the speed you're going at.
Good old spacedust - had to have it in some form or other!
Mike Evans wrote:
It's subtle enough that you only really notice it when you're specifically looking for it but not so subtle that you're not subconsciously aware of it's presence. Ever since getting it in game it's dramatically improved the sense of speed and movement and it's almost impossible to imagine not having it in the game any more.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Cody wrote:
As regards perception of movement in the void, this interested me greatly
I hadn't seen this thread, but yes its interesting. I had wondered about that "space fog" but forgot to ask about it on the forums. Sounds like it could be an improvement on "space dust".
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Who knows.. it could be the beginning of a whole new trope! :lol:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Duggan
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Duggan »

While I very much like the realism conveyed by these stills it strikes me that from looking at the detail the actual moving game may be a little resource greedy .
Flying Python Class Cruiser, Chapter & Verse IV
Cody

Post by Cody »

What spec will be needed to run the game is the subject of much speculative debate - but that pic above is concept art, not an in-game shot (I think).
However, that is the type of cockpit display they appear to favour - possibly overdone, in my opinion.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!