(NEW RELEASE) NumericHUDv3.oxp

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: (NEW RELEASE) NUMERIC HUDv1.2.1.oxp

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

In the process of developing the Sniper Camera System prototype I came up with an interesting way to change between 2 different scanners(or other gauges for that matter) that is kind of cool. I set up a frame by frame animation between the 2 different scanners with a different scanner for each frame over the span of 27 frames and the result is a fluid morph from one scanner into the other. It adds a real step up for the way gauges are swapped. Has to be seen. :D The next release of numeric hud will have these "morphs" built in to the scanner and compass swaps as well as a few other icons.
Additionally the next version will probably have some version of the Sniper Camera System built in and probably include shipdata-overides for some of the core ships or a customizable shipdata-overides file where a player could relabel a list of custom views to make it work for their ship.
This should be decided upon in the 2 weeks or so after the custom hud system for the chupacabra has been finished which should be a few weeks from today.
Take an idea from one person and twist or modify it in a different way as a return suggestion so another person can see a part of it that can apply to the oxp they are working on.

CommonSense 'Outside-the-Box' Design Studios Ltd.
WIKI+OXPs
Eldon
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Eldon »

First off, I have to say this is an amazing creation. Some of the numbers take a bit of getting used to, but others are pure gold (I may add the energy bars back somewhere in my version).

Got a bug for you, and a couple of things that could be bugs or features depending on your point of view.

First, the definite bug: If you hyperspace while looking at an info screen (F5-F8) instead of what's around you (F1-F4 & v), then you end up with the trading hud on the forward view in the new system. You can get rid of it by looking at an info screen, and then back to the scenery.

The range finder, should it work without the scanner targeting enhancement?

And finally, I'm finding that the scanner and the space compass switch between colours between blue and the alert level every second or so. With the speed gauge flashing for top speed, the fuel gauge flashing for not enough fuel, and none of them in time with the others it can be quite distracting.

All the best,
Eldon
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

Eldon wrote:
First, the definite bug: If you hyperspace while looking at an info screen (F5-F8) instead of what's around you (F1-F4 & v), then you end up with the trading hud on the forward view in the new system. You can get rid of it by looking at an info screen, and then back to the scenery.

The range finder, should it work without the scanner targeting enhancement?

And finally, I'm finding that the scanner and the space compass switch between colours between blue and the alert level every second or so. With the speed gauge flashing for top speed, the fuel gauge flashing for not enough fuel, and none of them in time with the others it can be quite distracting.
Thanx for posting your bug discovery.
That is a definate bug and will be fixed next version.
If you can't wait put the following at the top of "this.shipWillEnterWitchspace=function()

player.ship.hud = "numerichudv1.plist";

As for the rangefinder, why not. Feature of the hud and people like to see it, for now.

Finally, you may not like the next version as I'm sure it will only be even more distracting. All that you describe is as it is on purpose. I hear the standard oolite hud is somewhat inconspicuous however...
Take an idea from one person and twist or modify it in a different way as a return suggestion so another person can see a part of it that can apply to the oxp they are working on.

WIKI+OXPs
Eldon
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Eldon »

Thanks for the quick fix, got another one for you: if you're close to your target and eject, when you launch again your cross-hairs still display the up-close and personal view as well as the un-targeted view.

After a bit of a play I've got why the numbers flash, but why does the scanner/compass? And would it be possible for everything that flashes to flash in time with each other?
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

Eldon wrote:
Thanks for the quick fix, got another one for you: if you're close to your target and eject, when you launch again your cross-hairs still display the up-close and personal view as well as the un-targeted view.
That's quite possible as not much testing was done while ejecting. A recent problem was also found while ejecting and causing a big log error. I will look at this and include a bugfix in the next version.
Thanx for going out of your way to playtest for me. :D

WIKI+OXPs
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

Coming soon to a numeric hud near you...

Sunrise by CommonSenseOTB, on Flickr
It's a beautiful sight the sunrise is from the station zone.

Final Approach by CommonSenseOTB, on Flickr
Lined up for a few last tense moments.

Safety by CommonSenseOTB, on Flickr
It's Miller time!

Public Domain pin-up art(petty-0033) courtesy of freeclassicimages.com

Eldon, your escape pod glitch is patched and will be in the next version along with an escape pod hud. :wink:

Thargoid, I hope you like it. I have a question. Is there any kind of event that precedes the launch of the escape pod or do I have to wait till ship.WillDockAtStation = function()? Or would it be best to use isValid as a trigger only? Just thinking about the future animation possibilities for ejecting. Any ideas on this are appreciated. :)

WIKI+OXPs
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

The current list of JS events is here (for player worldscripts - there's a separate list for ship events which is linked from it and can be found separately on the wiki).

For your application, the one you want is shipLaunchedEscapePod.

I like the escape pod idea yes, although I think the petty pic could get repetitive (and you could maybe have some fun with exactly what image you put there ;)
m4r35n357
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by m4r35n357 »

Thargoid wrote:
I like the escape pod idea yes, although I think the petty pic could get repetitive (and you could maybe have some fun with exactly what image you put there ;) [/color]
Then again, it has a claustrophobic atmosphere to it that seems appropriate . . .
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Very Very clever CSOTB! Bravo.

(Could you use the decal shader code to add random picture? (Non-shader users would get the standard Petty pic))
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
Very Very clever CSOTB! Bravo.

(Could you use the decal shader code to add random picture? (Non-shader users would get the standard Petty pic))
Better yet, when 1.76 arrives with equipment conditional for images and text in the hud.plist it will be possible to have randomly selected pictures and some could be added by the player and labelled in the required way for the script to activate it. I see you are thinking of a similar idea. Cool! 8)

WIKI+OXPs
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

CommonSenseOTB wrote:
Better yet, when 1.76 arrives with equipment conditional for images and text in the hud.plist it will be possible to have randomly selected pictures and some could be added by the player and labelled in the required way for the script to activate it. I see you are thinking of a similar idea. Cool! 8)
Unless Ahruman explicitly authorizes it, this is a new feature and, as such, cannot go into 1.76 during a feature freeze. It can only go in post-1.76.
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

another_commander wrote:
CommonSenseOTB wrote:
Unless Ahruman explicitly authorizes it, this is a new feature and, as such, cannot go into 1.76 during a feature freeze. It can only go in post-1.76.
It's already in the code and just needs to be activated. I thought the plan was to have it in 1.76. :?

WIKI+OXPs
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

CommonSenseOTB wrote:
It's already in the code and just needs to be activated. I thought the plan was to have it in 1.76. :?
No, the plan is to have no new features in 1.76.
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

Ahruman wrote:
CommonSenseOTB wrote:
No, the plan is to have no new features in 1.76.
Hey, no problem. Thanx for the info.

WIKI+OXPs
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

But you could still have escapecapsule01.png, escapecapsule99.png and select any one of those 99 pictures randomly... :)
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)