Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

[REL] Z-GrOovY Ship Repaints Updated 4 Trunk and 1.77.1

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Capt. Murphy
Commodore
Commodore

Re: [REL] Z-GrOovY paintshed Viper Sentinel WIP screenshots

Post by Capt. Murphy »

Hey Dertien,

Just downloaded your Griff's Cobra variety pack...very nice..Couple of comments - there is a typo in shipyard.plist. You've got FOxtrot - should be Foxtrot.

And a demoships.plist would be nice so commanders who like to review ships on the Oolite start-up screen can view your creations in all their glory.
[EliteWiki] Capt. Murphy's OXPs
External JavaScript resources - W3Schools & Mozilla Developer Network
Win 7 64bit, Intel Core i5 with HD3000 (driver rev. 8.15.10.2696 - March 2012), Oolite 1.76.1
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia (mainly industrial, feudal, TL12)

Post by maik »

Added them to the [wiki]OXP List[/wiki]. Dertien, are you going to add a wiki page for them? Would be a shame if they didn't have one...
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

I have both YellOo Cabs.oxp by Smivs and Z_GrOovy_YellOo_Cab_Variety_Pack.oxp by Dertien installed. As it stands with both installed, YellOo Cabs.oxp does not seem to work. Anyone know what is wrong.

The following errors pop up in the log.

Code: Select all

21:24:38.521 [shipData.load.begin]: Loading ship data.
  21:24:39.663 [shipData.merge.failed]: ***** ERROR: one or more shipdata.plist entries have like_ship references that cannot be resolved: yellOo-cab-player, yellOo-cab-taxi
  21:24:42.891 [shipData.load.shipyard.unknown]: ----- WARNING: the shipyard.plist entry "yellOo-cab-player" does not have a corresponding shipdata.plist entry, ignoring.
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

The variety pack has this:

like_ship = "griff_normalmapped_moray-player";

Is this ship installed in your AddOns?
Take an idea from one person and twist or modify it in a different way as a return suggestion so another person can see a part of it that can apply to the oxp they are working on.

CommonSense 'Outside-the-Box' Design Studios Ltd.
WIKI+OXPs
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

CommonSenseOTB wrote:
Yes, it's a part of Griff all in one.

From shipyard.plist

"griff_normalmapped_moray_player"
But I see a typo here (the underscore/hypen), not sure if it's in Griffs all in one or in Z-Groovy's though.
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

Gimi wrote:
CommonSenseOTB wrote:
Yes, it's a part of Griff all in one.

From shipyard.plist

"griff_normalmapped_moray_player"
But I see a typo here (the underscore/hypen), not sure if it's in Griffs all in one or in Z-Groovy's though.
I see you solved your bug then. Cheers! :D
Take an idea from one person and twist or modify it in a different way as a return suggestion so another person can see a part of it that can apply to the oxp they are working on.

CommonSense 'Outside-the-Box' Design Studios Ltd.
WIKI+OXPs
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

I changed the script in Z_GrOovy_YellOo_Cab_Variety_Pack.oxp, and the errors in the log have gone away. Remains to be seen if the Taxis start popping up correctly.
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

There seems to be an issue with dertiens Z-GrOovy repaints and Griff's updated all-in-1 version 1.2.22. I'm using the replace version of Griff's, and I get quite a few errors like this:

22:57:26.338 [shipData.load.shipyard.unknown]: ----- WARNING: the shipyard.plist entry "griff_normalmapped_cobra_mkIII_player_Mike" does not have a corresponding shipdata.plist entry, ignoring.
  22:57:26.338 [shipData.load.shipyard.unknown]: ----- WARNING: the shipyard.plist entry "griff_normalmapped_cobra_mkIII_player_Golf" does not have a corresponding shipdata.plist entry, ignoring.
  22:57:26.338 [shipData.load.shipyard.unknown]: ----- WARNING: the shipyard.plist entry "griff_normalmapped_cobra_mkIII_player_Charlie" does not have a corresponding shipdata.plist entry, ignoring.
  22:57:26.338 [shipData.load.shipyard.unknown]: ----- WARNING: the shipyard.plist entry "griff_normalmapped_cobra_mkIII_player_Juliet" does not have a corresponding shipdata.plist entry, ignoring.
The errors I'm getting so far have only been for the player version of the Griff Cobra, but I suspect that the problem will also relate to some of dertien's other "repaint" OXP's

Having looked briefly at the code, it looks like dertien has used like_ship = "griff_normalmapped_cobra_mkIII_player". Since I'm using the replace version griff_normalmapped_cobra_mkIII_player no longer exists. Is there a very simple way to fix this. Setting griff_normalmapped_cobra_mkIII_player as an alias comes to mind, but I don't know if that is possible or even the intelligent way of fixing this.
Capt. Murphy
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Capt. Murphy »

It doesn't look like Dertien has visited the boards for 6 months plus......

I'm about to head to work, but I'll take a look at his OXPs tomorrow morning. The simplest fix will be to change like-ship references like_ship = "griff_normalmapped_cobra_mkIII_player" to like_ship = "cobra3-player" if you are using the replace version of Griff's, but there may be a more elegant solution (that will work with both). Dertien's OXP's should carry on working fine with the addition version of Griff's.
Win 7 64bit, Intel Core i5 with HD3000 (driver rev. 8.15.10.2696 - March 2012), Oolite 1.76.1
Capt. Murphy
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Capt. Murphy »

After a closer look at the shipdata.plist in Z_GrOovy_Griffs_CobraMk3_Variety_Pack.oxp it looks like the like_ship = "griff_normalmapped_cobra_mkIII_player" entries are superfluos anyway. Dertien has recreated the entire shipdata entry from Griff's for each of his variants, so the model references etc are all there anyway.

If you delete the like_ship = "griff_normalmapped_cobra_mkIII_player" entries entirely, the OXP is only dependent on
Griff_Shipset_Resources_v1.2.22.oxp being installed.

I have come across an oddity/problem though. Dertien's repaints for me only work in Simple Shader mode, not Full Shaders. There's no errors thrown but Dertien's texture is not applied to the model so you get a black cobra with some hull lights in Full Shaders. This is whether it's the new version of Griff's or the the last. He also never fixed the typo is his shipyard.plist for the foxtrot variant, and has carried forward an old bug of Griff's where the ships don't have a weapon when purchased.
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

Capt. Murphy wrote:
After a closer look at the shipdata.plist in Z_GrOovy_Griffs_CobraMk3_Variety_Pack.oxp it looks like the like_ship = "griff_normalmapped_cobra_mkIII_player" entries are superfluos anyway. Dertien has recreated the entire shipdata entry from Griff's for each of his variants, so the model references etc are all there anyway.

If you delete the like_ship = "griff_normalmapped_cobra_mkIII_player" entries entirely, the OXP is only dependent on
Griff_Shipset_Resources_v1.2.22.oxp being installed.
Thank you. Will try this, this evening.
Capt. Murphy wrote:
I have come across an oddity/problem though. Dertien's repaints for me only work in Simple Shader mode, not Full Shaders. There's no errors thrown but Dertien's texture is not applied to the model so you get a black cobra with some hull lights in Full Shaders. This is whether it's the new version of Griff's or the the last.
Never seen this before, and I use full shaders.
Capt. Murphy wrote:
He also never fixed the typo is his shipyard.plist for the foxtrot variant, and has carried forward an old bug of Griff's where the ships don't have a weapon when purchased.
I know of the Foxtrot bug, and have fixed that in my version. How do I fix the weapon bug. Not that it matters much, I'm not buying one. they just look nice in-game.
Capt. Murphy
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Capt. Murphy »

Gimi wrote:
Capt. Murphy wrote:
I have come across an oddity/problem though. Dertien's repaints for me only work in Simple Shader mode, not Full Shaders. There's no errors thrown but Dertien's texture is not applied to the model so you get a black cobra with some hull lights in Full Shaders. This is whether it's the new version of Griff's or the the last.
Never seen this before, and I use full shaders.
Capt. Murphy wrote:
He also never fixed the typo is his shipyard.plist for the foxtrot variant, and has carried forward an old bug of Griff's where the ships don't have a weapon when purchased.
I know of the Foxtrot bug, and have fixed that in my version. How do I fix the weapon bug. Not that it matters much, I'm not buying one. they just look nice in-game.
The full shaders issue is probably something hardware/driver specific to me then with my slightly ropey Intel GPU.

The weapon bug is simply a case of changing - forward_weapon_type = "WEAPON_NONE"; to forward_weapon_type = "WEAPON_PULSE_LASER"; in each and every entry. So do you just admire them on the shipyard screen, as there is no demoships or NPC versions included? :wink: This OXP is ripe for a bit of a revamp methinks, it's a shame that those nice paint jobs aren't seen on NPCs aswell. I see the readme includes a very permissive license so may well add it to my to do list.
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Capt. Murphy wrote:
This OXP is ripe for a bit of a revamp methinks, it's a shame that those nice paint jobs aren't seen on NPCs aswell. I see the readme includes a very permissive license so may well add it to my to do list.
Please do. I downloaded this way back when, got only invisible - untextured - ships, tried various edits to the included files to get it to work, and eventually gave up in disgust. I'm sure I'm not alone in that experience.
Capt. Murphy
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Capt. Murphy »

Will do then, it will help me to understand the existing materials and shader dictionaries just in time for Ahruman to move the goalposts.. :wink: ..I think I know why it's showing untextured ships for me in Full Shaders, the trick is to fix that whilst still keeping it working for folks like Gimi where it works normally as is. I'll also add NPC variants and a demoships.plist

Edit to add - well a very simple 2 line edit for one of the variants results in the Z-Groovy paint job being displayed properly in no, simple and full shaders on my machine, where previously it was working on simple shaders only. I'm away this weekend, but should be able to get something together for testing sometime next week.
Last edited by Capt. Murphy on Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Capt. Murphy wrote:
Will do then, it will help me to understand the existing materials and shader dictionaries just in time for Ahruman to move the goalposts.. :wink:
The old form will continue to work, it’s just less expressive.