Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

BGS - BackgroundSet

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

XB7
Competent
Competent

Re: BGS - BackgroundSet

Post by XB7 »

Thanks for the tip. I checked the Console Log.

I found out that Oolite is only reading the oxp's that were in the AddOns base directory. All the other OXPs that have their own file folder in the AddOns directory aren't being read in. So it's an easy fix. Thanks!
Fatleaf
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by Fatleaf »

I got a CTD and found this in the log:

05:12:09.667 [files.notFound]: ----- WARNING: Could not find texture file "bgs-i_overlay_docked_main.png".
05:12:09.667 [script.javaScript.warning.ooliteDefinedError]: ----- JavaScript warning (BGS-M 1.3.4): setScreenOverlay(): texture "bgs-i_overlay_docked_main.png" could not be found.
05:12:09.667 [script.javaScript.warning.ooliteDefinedError]: ../AddOns/BGS-M1.3.5.oxp/Config/script.js, line 218.

(The above bit was repeated 107 times, I counted. Which made me think BGS was the cause. The bit below was straight after)

05:12:47.502 [general.error.allocationFailure]: Failed to allocate space (16777216 bytes) for texture ../AddOns/King Cobra.oxp/Textures/kc-normals.png
05:12:47.503 [general.error.allocationFailure]: Failed to allocate space (16777216 bytes) for texture ../AddOns/King Cobra.oxp/Textures/kc-skin.png
05:12:47.567 [general.error.allocationFailure]: Failed to allocate space (16777216 bytes) for texture ../AddOns/King Cobra.oxp/Textures/kc-effects.png

Here is the entire log if you want it. http://www.boxcn.net/s/1cokh477prrxc3y308qd

Hope it helps.
Find out about the early influences of Fatleaf here. Also his OXP's!
Holds the Ooniversal record for "Thread Necromancy"
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Quite a few separate issues there! There were 3 other 'funny' bits with your log:

03:18:34.102 [plist.parse.failed]: Failed to parse ../AddOns/ToughGuys Apocalypse.oxp/Config/shipdata-overrides.plist as a property list.
Parse failed at line 451 (char 13635) - reached end of string

03:18:34.130 [shipData.merge.failed]: ***** ERROR: one or more shipdata.plist entries have like_ship references that cannot be resolved: griff-boa-pitbull, griff-boa2-rottweiler

So there are 2 oxps with .plist problems, the tough guys Apocalypse isn't tweaking the ship data as its maker intended, and one of the oxps you've got (still tough guys, perhaps?) is looking for the griff boa oxp, which is missing.

lastly

03:19:05.433 [cheat.tentative]: POSSIBLE CHEAT DETECTED

Is telling us someone edited the save file... even if it seems to load ok, there's always the chance that you removed a mission variable or two from your savegame, which might cause problems later on...

About the 2 original problems:
Can you double click on bgs-i_overlay_docked_main.png and see that overlay image at all? It might be corrupted.
If everything seems ok from your OS, the corruption is likely to be inside Oolite's cache, shift at startup should fix that. Very uncommon occurrence, but apparently it does happen. If the image cannot be seen from the OS, then it's a matter of getting it again, hopefully by extracting it from the original zip file...

The weird thing is that it didn't have any problems until you loaded the dodgy save game. That overlay is used at game startup too, so it should have given the same errors even before loading it. Please keep that savegame, it might be worth checking if it really causes the overlay to 'disappear'.

And 'failed to allocate space', wow, it's saying Oolite is running out of memory, because it can't find free memory blocks to use for those three textures (16Mb each). So something must be happening that's eating your memory - Ok, you had been playing for 2 hours, but still... was there something different in that session to the way you normally play?

From the log it looks like Oolite started to run out of memory, then somehow limped along for another 2 system jumps for the following 9 minutes until, at the 3rd jump, it died horribly.

On the surface of it it's a dreaded memleak, which is what Switeck has been reporting with his chained wormholes for a while...
Speaking of which - were you using a cloaking device while jumping?
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Fatleaf wrote:
05:12:09.667 [files.notFound]: ----- WARNING: Could not find texture file "bgs-i_overlay_docked_main.png".
05:12:09.667 [script.javaScript.warning.ooliteDefinedError]: ----- JavaScript warning (BGS-M 1.3.4): setScreenOverlay(): texture "bgs-i_overlay_docked_main.png" could not be found.
05:12:09.667 [script.javaScript.warning.ooliteDefinedError]: ../AddOns/BGS-M1.3.5.oxp/Config/script.js, line 218.
Thanks Fatleaf .-)

Seems I've only tested BGS-M with BGS-I installed. To fix your version change this code part (line 216ff)

Code: Select all

if(this.bgsImageSwitch){
		if((this.bgsDisableCrowd || this.bgsNoCrowd) && to==='GUI_SCREEN_STATUS') setScreenBackground('bgs-i_statusdocked_nocrowd.png');
		// If it gets possible to check if a station has a shipyard - change the overlays...
		if(player.ship.dockedStation.isMainStation && guiScreen!=='GUI_SCREEN_MISSION') setScreenOverlay('bgs-i_overlay_docked_main.png');
	}
this.bgsImageSwitch is only true if BGS-I is installed (or BGS-A is used). BGS-M doesn't ship the backgrounds/overlays.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Re the ToughGuys errors, the like_ship issues are simply because Leafy didn't have Griff's ships installed at the time, so it obviously can't find them. Not a real error in other words.
As for the plist parse error, the line in question is the closing brace for the plist, so I am at a loss as to why it's thrown this error message. This particular version of the OXP has been thoroughly tested, and downloaded nearly 150 times and this problem has never been reported before, so my guess is that it's a unique problem to Leafy's version. I'll have to have words with him....can't have people going around breaking my stuff! :twisted:
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Fatleaf

Post by Fatleaf »

Kaks wrote:
So there are 2 oxps with .plist problems, the tough guys Apocalypse isn't tweaking the ship data as its maker intended, and one of the oxps you've got (still tough guys, perhaps?) is looking for the griff boa oxp, which is missing.
Being delt with by Smivs.
Kaks wrote:
03:19:05.433 [cheat.tentative]: POSSIBLE CHEAT DETECTED
Is telling us someone edited the save file... even if it seems to load ok, there's always the chance that you removed a mission variable or two from your savegame, which might cause problems later on...
All I changed here is to add some cargo gold, platinum and gems. (I was trying something out.)

Kaks wrote:
The weird thing is that it didn't have any problems until you loaded the dodgy save game. That overlay is used at game startup too, so it should have given the same errors even before loading it. Please keep that savegame, it might be worth checking if it really causes the overlay to 'disappear'.

And 'failed to allocate space', wow, it's saying Oolite is running out of memory, because it can't find free memory blocks to use for those three textures (16Mb each). So something must be happening that's eating your memory - Ok, you had been playing for 2 hours, but still... was there something different in that session to the way you normally play?
Nope just flying along as per usual. It was taking a bit too long to fully load after launching and exiting witchspace. But I will keep the save game to the link provided if you ever need to grab it again.
Kaks wrote:
On the surface of it it's a dreaded memleak, which is what Switeck has been reporting with his chained wormholes for a while...
Speaking of which - were you using a cloaking device while jumping?
Nope.

Thanks for looking at this. Lets hope we find the causes.
Fatleaf

Post by Fatleaf »

Smivs wrote:
I'll have to have words with him....can't have people going around breaking my stuff! :twisted:
Well I am an Honourable member of the Guild of Honourable Test Pilots! It is my job to try to break stuff! Just ask Okti! :wink:
Commander Wilmot
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Commander Wilmot »

I like the set, but as stated previously previously, the sound balance is a bit high. I mainly think the engine noise needs a drop by a couple of decibels, other than that, it might not hurt for the laser to be toned down slightly as well. Otherwise I think the sound set is wonderful.

I have BGS A1.3.2, so I am sorry if something has already been done to change the sound balance since that version.
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

just got this recently and i love it. some things get on my t*ts - the voice every time i use Ident/ID a ship - but the pics and atmospheric sound are excellent. and that hyperspace sequence is fricking AWESOME!