Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

[Resource] ADCK's Behemoths

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

ADCK
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ADCK »

Zieman wrote:
Awesome stuff.

One nitpick: the Viper (in 3rd pic, original post) has 3 engines & just 2 exhaust plumes...
Ya I got lazy there, and just copied and pasted their stats from the original gal navy and only changing thier models/textures.
Am thinking of eventually replacing all the neolite ships in this OXP with my own versions like I did with the reserve/pirate ships.

And maybe releasing the neolite ships as a seperate package, I have a fair few unreleased neolites retextures just sitting around.
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

ADCK on Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:03 pm wrote:
I'll grab some screenshots tomorrow, 5am here now lol, ADCK sleepy. 8)
This puts you somewhere in Australia/South East Asia?
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
ADCK
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ADCK »

JazHaz wrote:
ADCK on Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:03 pm, Milky Way Galaxy, Sol System, Planet Earth, Australia, New South Wales, Sydney, In front of a quarry, at his computer, typing alot of un-needed information into the quote field, It's a sunny day and he's smoking a cigarette, If you're reading this you hereby agree to give ADCK your first-born child and your soul, No beer and no TV make ADCK something something, oh and ADCK wrote:
Western Sydney.
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

ADCK wrote:
JazHaz wrote:
ADCK on Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:03 pm, Milky Way Galaxy, Sol System, Planet Earth, Australia, New South Wales, Sydney, In front of a quarry, at his computer, typing alot of un-needed information into the quote field, It's a sunny day and he's smoking a cigarette, If you're reading this you hereby agree to give ADCK your first-born child and your soul, No beer and no TV make ADCK something something, oh and ADCK wrote:
Western Sydney.
:lol:

Was going to ask, is it Behemoths that has replaced the Rock Hermits? If so, I can report the new ones work fine with the Rock Hermit Locator OXP! :D
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
ADCK
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ADCK »

JazHaz wrote:
ADCK wrote:
JazHaz wrote:
Western Sydney.
:lol:

Was going to ask, is it Behemoths that has replaced the Rock Hermits? If so, I can report the new ones work fine with the Rock Hermit Locator OXP! :D
Sort of, they dont overwrite the originals, they have the same chance of spawning as the originals. I try to avoid overwriting vanilla items, helps with compatibility.

Good to hear it works with the locator too, didn't even think about that.
UK_Eliter
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Essex (mainly industrial and occasionally anarchic)

Super Thargoids? WTF?

Post by UK_Eliter »

Dear ADCK

On installing the lastest fruits of your hardwork, I found that the retextured thargoid carriers, and the new type of carrier, were all but invincible. I did almost destroy one of the latter, by hitting it with ridiculous amounts of stuff and then crashing my ship into it just after hitting the escape pod (nice move, I thought) - at which point it started venting plasma - but surely that is too tough an opponent. I did mange to kill both types of thargoid with q-weapons, though (but I also cought the police that way too - and the police/military seemed incapable of destroying the Menace; by the way, didn't someone once suggest distinguishing the police from the military via different scanner colours?). Finally: when I tried the same little manoeuvre with the old (but retextured and newly near-invincible) carrier, I ended up inside it, and it sold me some weapons to use - admittedly ineffectually - against it.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

ADCK wrote:
JazHaz wrote:
Western Sydney.
Hey! I'm in Brisbane! 8)
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Diziet Sma wrote:
ADCK wrote:
JazHaz wrote:
Western Sydney.
Hey! I'm in Brisbane! 8)
I loved Brisbane - I visited East Coast Oz in 1997 - Fraser Island down to Tweed Heads staying with some friends who owned a farm outside Ipswitch, so I got to know Brissie quite well (love the idea of Kodak Beach - right in the middle of town - fab)
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Pluisje
Dangerous
Dangerous

Re: Super Thargoids? WTF?

Post by Pluisje »

UK_Eliter wrote:
... I found that the retextured thargoid carriers, and the new type of carrier, were all but invincible. ...
I ran into one too. The bounty scanner quoted a bounty of 9969 Cr, nice :). Hit it with my four military lasers, not a scratch. When I turned on the "inspect target debug" (hooray for Mac-Oolite), its energy read 25000/25000 (!).
I checked de shipdata.plist. The Carrier also has a recharge rate of 100 :shock:. That Thargoid puts the fear back into Alien Menace! :twisted:
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

These numbers are really too much, I think. If you give the ADCK tharg carrier, say, 3000 energy and 10-20 recharge rate, a massively kitted ship with rotating military lasers and perhaps one or the other turret plus hardheaded missiles might stand a chance, but make the fight very hard.

At 25000/100, you cannot get a dent into that ship except firing a q-bomb successfully.

Just my 0.2 Cr, I'd set the values at 3000/15.
ADCK
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ADCK »

Ya. the numbers on the carriers weren't really tested. good to see some feedback on them, will fiddle around with their stats in a future update.

Am kinda busy playing GTA IV's two DLCs which were released recently for PC. But I should be done with them in a day or two. :P
ADCK
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ADCK »

Finally got around to fixing some of the bugs,
*Vipers now have the correct amount of exhaust.
*Turrets have their missing texture,
*Destroyer missiles now have roll and pitch cause i'm too lazy to script their AI the way I want it, maybe one day.
*Thargoid carriers max energy and recharge rate lowered from 25000/100 to 10000/10, they'll still be tough, but no where near as hard.

Removed the alpha channel from almost all of the textures (except the diffuse maps for the nameplates, maybe later on) to lower file size.

Still have a few things to do before release, I have 3 new ships comming in this release (a new minesweeper model, a Viper APC, and a long battleship) that still need work, plus I want to make it non-shader compatible so things like nameplates and alternate textures show up instead of the models default textures for the people without shader capability.
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia (mainly industrial, feudal, TL12)

Post by maik »

Thargoid carriers max energy and recharge rate lowered from 25000/100 to 10000/10
So far I found them too easy. They appear quite frequently (feels like 1/3 chance) at the witch point and move only slowly. I put about 20.000 km distance between them and myself and fire my four military lasers until they overheat. The fourth round destroys them. Easy money. They don't fire a single shot, very rarely some Thargoid vessels start from them (I think robot fighters). The carriers really don't attack but just wait to be executed.
ADCK
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ADCK »

maik wrote:
Thargoid carriers max energy and recharge rate lowered from 25000/100 to 10000/10
So far I found them too easy. They appear quite frequently (feels like 1/3 chance) at the witch point and move only slowly. I put about 20.000 km distance between them and myself and fire my four military lasers until they overheat. The fourth round destroys them. Easy money. They don't fire a single shot, very rarely some Thargoid vessels start from them (I think robot fighters). The carriers really don't attack but just wait to be executed.
Thanks for the report, i'll give them diff AI.

Appearing 1/3 of the time at witchpoint? That shouldn't be happening. unless you have a very high score.

2% chance of 1 spawning at no score
5% chance of 1 spawning at 128 Kills
25% chance of 1 spawning at 2559 Kills
35% chance of 2 spawning at 6399 Kills

I can change those numbers, i think i'll drop the lower 2 brackets to 10 and 15 % chance
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia (mainly industrial, feudal, TL12)

Post by maik »

I'm at 3000+ kills. So 1/3 wasn't that far off ;-)

I actually installed the OXP because it said it rebalances the ooniverse against all the navy vessels. So it would be cool to see the Thargoid carrier once in a while engaged in battle with the Navy. Or as part of a larger Thargoid attack fleet. On its own it seems misplaced as long as it doesn't spawn lots of Thargoid vessels. In my mind it should be a very rare occurrence to see one, more like 2% chance as the maximum...

Just my 2 ct...