Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Station Approaches and manual docking

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

FSOneblin
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by FSOneblin »

LittleBear wrote:
In the Config folder (which is in Reasorches, which in turn is in Oolite.app).
Thankyou! I will do that after school.

FSOneblin
Don't panic

Now an "adult!"
Dr Beeb
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Dr Beeb »

Commander McLane wrote:
...and of course, even if everything goes smoothly and the cops arrive, it is not said that they can handle the aggressors...
I dimly recall in Elite that once you reach the S zone (or more precisely the Pirates reach it in their pursuit of you) they tended to abort their attack and fly away - even if they were within a gnats eye-lash of destroying you. Presumably their actions have been noted by the authorities and if they continued their attack they know that they will be hunted down to extermination :!: More realism would need plenty of vipers on patrol throughout the aegis, so the game not bothering to do that is equivalent to the game letting you get fourty winks during an auto dock?
White dots were so much easier to hit
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

Dr Beeb wrote:
I dimly recall in Elite that once you reach the S zone (or more precisely the Pirates reach it in their pursuit of you) they tended to abort their attack and fly away - even if they were within a gnats eye-lash of destroying you.
You're right, they would back off, some quicker than others, running for safety was a major strategy. After a severe beating, you could sometimes gradually replenish your energy banks and shields by going dead slow and not making any manouvres that would constitute an aggressive action (like running away fast), and then very slowly increase speed incrementally and with a bit of luck eventually make it to the vinicity of a space station. Had many edge of the seat journeys like that, hence my love of this game, it is so emersing at times.
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
FSOneblin
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by FSOneblin »

Post deleted. I found out what I was doing wrong.

FSOneblin
Don't panic

Now an "adult!"
MEGALODON
Dangerous
Dangerous

Re: Station Approaches and manual docking

Post by MEGALODON »

Decided to try out this oxp and when I Target the station I hit L for docking clearance and it does nothing no confirmation that I am go for docking or what number I'm in for the pattern.

Tried manual edit as well as the oxp and it is not responding

Please,advise. L key does not seem to work
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

MEGALODON wrote:
Decided to try out this oxp and when I Target the station I hit L for docking clearance and it does nothing no confirmation that I am go for docking or what number I'm in for the pattern.

Tried manual edit as well as the oxp and it is not responding

Please,advise. L key does not seem to work
This is a very old thread you're reviving here.

Docking clearance is a part of "vanilla" (= without OXPs) Oolite, if you choose to activate it. Please refer to Oolite's readMe for the details. Hm, actually the readMe doesn't contain the information; it's in the Wiki instead. And indeed, Docking Clearance.oxp does the activation for you.

Docking clearance is requested with SHIFT-L, and requires you to target a station first.
MEGALODON
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by MEGALODON »

I ended up happening on it by trial and error but thanks for your reply.

Ive been fined for illegal docking using the save anywhere OXP... LOL I gotta contact the person who wrote that to see if that can be fixed it sucks losing money for trying to save, but with the performance issues i've been dealing with its my only option to avoid losing several hours of progress.

Its kind of cool though. Having a problem with it because whenever I engage docking computers if I don't first shift L for permissions I get fined if i just initiate auto dock and that isn't right.

Oh and with reference to the Station Aegis It didn't matter any ship that fired upon another one the station launched vipers immediately and engaged the agressor. and if you were attacked they came to your rescue. I think the logic was the danger also to the station and that's what they're for to defend people coming into dock with the main station.
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

MEGALODON wrote:
Ive been fined for illegal docking using the save anywhere OXP... LOL I gotta contact the person who wrote that to see if that can be fixed it sucks losing money for trying to save, but with the performance issues i've been dealing with its my only option to avoid losing several hours of progress.

Its kind of cool though. Having a problem with it because whenever I engage docking computers if I don't first shift L for permissions I get fined if i just initiate auto dock and that isn't right.
Save everywhere still uses a very cumbersome way to dock the player: it physically puts the player in the entrance of the dock. That way it mimics a manual docking of the player. And when the station requires docking clearance you will be fined wit 5000 credits each time you dock. And probably another 5000 when returning to the original station. Just see it as the costs for being able to save at a remote station :wink:

Long ago there was a new command added to oolite to dock a player. That won't give the problems you mention and would simplify the code for Save everywhere. But you must ask the author why he never used this new method.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

MEGALODON wrote:
:?: :?: :?:

So you want to use the selectable option of docking clearance. The only thing this option is about is to require you to ask for clearance before you dock. If you don't ask for clearance, you're fined.

So you're complaining that the option which you selected is working?

That doesn't make sense.

If you want the option, then play by the option.

If you don't want the option (and nobody forces you to select it), then don't activate it.

But you can't have it both ways.

It's like turning the sound off and then complaining that you don't hear your laser.
Last edited by Commander McLane on Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SandJ
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by SandJ »

MEGALODON wrote:
I've been fined for illegal docking using the save anywhere OXP... LOL I gotta contact the person who wrote that to see if that can be fixed it sucks losing money for trying to save
Save Anywhere is a cheat anyway. Dock at main stations and the problem goes away.
MEGALODON wrote:
but with the performance issues I've been dealing with it's my only option to avoid losing several hours of progress.
Take out some of the OXPs that are causing the problem, as already advised.

Is it really taking you several hours to get from one main station to another? Whatever are you doing on the way?
Flying a Cobra Mk I Cobbie 3 with nothing but Explorers Club.OXP and a beam laser 4 proper lasers for company :D
Dropbox referral link 2GB of free space online + 500 Mb for the referral: good for securing work-in-progress.
MEGALODON
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by MEGALODON »

The funny thing is though that I hit shift L to get clearance then hit the computers to auto dock I thought if you engaged them it wa like asking for clearance so when I got fined I started doing that to avoid fines but when I read the read me I remember it saying if you use auto docking with computers it would auto ask for clearance.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

MEGALODON wrote:
The funny thing is though that I hit shift L to get clearance then hit the computers to auto dock I thought if you engaged them it wa like asking for clearance so when I got fined I started doing that to avoid fines but when I read the read me I remember it saying if you use auto docking with computers it would auto ask for clearance.
I could be wrong, but I thought the whole point of the docking clearance option was to add more realism for those pilots who don't want to use insta-dock. So it's either the slow way or the fast way, the latter of which hasn't anything to do with getting clearance anyway, but bypasses the whole docking process.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

MEGALODON wrote:
I don't know what exactly went wrong there with your game, but I can confirm that the docking clearance works as intended with regards to docking computers. I used the docking computer to enter a station requiring clearance and I received no fines, just as expected. Are you sure that some OXP did not override the docking clearance settings prior to your attempt to dock?