Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Battlestar Galactica

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

LittleBear wrote:
I suspect though it may have somthing to do with the fact that the ship is being launched from a station. I had the same problem with the 3 lasered Black Monk Gun ships. When spawned in space with a customAI, they fired. But if I set them as defence ships, they would turn red on the scanner but refused to fire. Cannot think of a reason why they should do this, but there it is!
Noted. Please to be providing test-case OXP.
CaptKev
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CaptKev »

If I change WEAPON_NONE to WEAPON_BEAM_LASER in the main entity they start blasting the moment they leave the Galactica or space station. I've tried nullAI and dumbAI with no luck, change the main AI to everything under the sun, but nothing seems to work. :cry:

No luck with the suggestions above, but thanks all the same.
Download Fighter HUD, Stingray and System Redux from the EliteWiki
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

@Arhuman.

I've put a monktest.oxp on this box link http://www.box.net/shared/gqoehmv2sp

The script just adds a Monk Station, some monk patrol ships and some debtors near the w/s beacon on exiting hyperspace.

The two versions of the monk gunships are identical (except for the AI). So you can tell them apart i've added (patrol version) and (defence version) after the names. The Monk Station has the defence version as its defence ship.

The AI for the patrol version, just tells it to kill debtors and head for the planet when they're all dead. This works fine and they fire their three lasers and turrett.

The Defence ship has interceptAI. If you bother the station it launches its defence ships (best do this from the side as it has a load of plasma cannons near the docking port!). They turn red but don't use their lasers.

@CaptKev.

Think its a bug in Oolite, as I've got the same problem!
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

If the problem is along the lines LittleBear is pointing at, perhaps giving the vipers a custom AI would work?

The Hacker Outposts in Anarchies.oxp have a clone of the Renegade Viper as defense-ships, but with a custom defendStationAI instead of the usual interceptAI. They fire at me (almost) every time when they're launched. However they don't have multiple lasers. So if that's the real source of the problem then this solution wouldn't work.

Anyway you can try it. Here's the defendStationAI:

Code: Select all

{
    "ATTACK_SHIP" = {
        ATTACKED = (setTargetToPrimaryAggressor, "messageMother: ATTACKED", "setStateTo: ATTACK_SHIP"); 
        "ENERGY_LOW" = ("setStateTo: FLEE"); 
        ENTER = (performAttack); 
        EXIT = (); 
        "INCOMING_MISSILE" = ("messageMother: ATTACKED", fightOrFleeMissile, "setStateTo: FLEE"); 
        "TARGET_DESTROYED" = ("setStateTo: DOCK_WITH_STATION"); 
        "TARGET_LOST" = ("setStateTo: DOCK_WITH_STATION"); 
        UPDATE = (); 
    }; 
    FLEE = {
        ENTER = ("setDesiredRangeTo: 25600", performFlee); 
        "ENERGY_FULL" = (performIdle, "setStateTo: ATTACK_SHIP"); 
        "TARGET_LOST" = (performIdle, "setStateTo: DOCK_WITH_STATION"); 
        "DESIRED_RANGE_ACHIEVED" = (performIdle, "setStateTo: DOCK_WITH_STATION"); 
        "INCOMING_MISSILE" = ("messageMother: ATTACKED", fightOrFleeMissile, "setStateTo: FLEE"); 
        "REACHED_SAFETY" = ("setSpeedTo: 0.0", performIdle, "pauseAI: 10.0"); 
        ATTACKED = (setTargetToPrimaryAggressor, "messageMother: ATTACKED", fightOrFleeHostiles, "setStateTo: FLEE"); 
        UPDATE = (); 
        EXIT = (); 
    }; 
    GLOBAL = { ENTER = ("setStateTo: ATTACK_SHIP"); EXIT = (); UPDATE = (); }; 
    "DOCK_WITH_STATION" = {
        ATTACKED = (setTargetToPrimaryAggressor, "messageMother: ATTACKED", "setStateTo: ATTACK_SHIP"); 
		ENTER = (checkForMotherStation);
		"NOTHING_FOUND" = ("setAITo: route1traderAI.plist");
		"STATION_FOUND" = (setTargetToStation, "setDesiredRangeTo: 5000.0", performIntercept);
		"DESIRED_RANGE_ACHIEVED" = ("setAITo: dockingAI.plist");
		EXIT = ();
		UPDATE = ();
	}; 
}
Feel free to use the AI if you want. But please remember to rename it if you modify it.
CaptKev
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CaptKev »

@Cmdr McLane, no luck I'm afraid but thanks for taking the time to post the AI code. Just hope Arhuman can locate the bug in the main app.
CaptKev
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CaptKev »

Here's my replacement for the GalCop Viper, if anyone wants to try to get the twin lasers working just rename WEAPON_BEAM_LASER to WEAPON_NONE in the shipdata.plist
CaptKev
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CaptKev »

I've created a new gun turret for the Galactica with the barrel pointing towards the +Z axis, but it's displayed lopsided when viewed in-game, anyone got any idea what the problem might be?

Maybe it's time to give up on this project, there's too many problems getting in my way! :(
Last edited by CaptKev on Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

Nah don't give up! Sticking turrets on things is pretty do-able. Suspect Griff or Ramon could explain it, but have a look at their sub-entry numbers in the Assassins.oxp shipdata entries for "victim5", "victim9" or "victim10" (to name but a few!). These ships have 4 to 12 turrets pointing the right way! :wink:

When I did the renegades OXP, to be honest I didn't really know what the numbers meant so I just played about with the numbers until it pointed the right way! Its one of the numbers that decides the way it points, but I can't now rember which one it is.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

I've seen this error happen too when i've tried to add subentities to models CaptKev, i'm pretty sure i've made it go away by re-exporting the problem obj. file into a new .dat try it out, see if it works. When you get the model done it'll be a great one for us to try adding shaders too, can't quite remember what the battlestar looked like in the tv series - does it have lots of little "window lights" along it?
CaptKev
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CaptKev »

Thanks LB and Griff, I'll try your suggestions.

If I exclude the setup action initialiseTurret everything gets displayed correctly, which implies this routine isn't rotating the turret on the Z axis alone. :?

Griff, don't think the original Galactica had many lights along the side, but mine has (I had the shaders in mind when I put them there), the engine glow and docking tubes are other areas that should benifit from the shaders.

Things that need to be done before release:

1) Two docking tubes fully working
2) Twin lasers working on the colonial vipers
3) Turrets displaying correctly
4) Texturing finished
5) Glow maps
6) Write a mission script around the Galactica and colonial vipers

Should be released about the same time as Elite IV :cry:
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

CaptKev wrote:
Should be released about the same time as Elite IV :cry:
I hope not, I'll be pushing up the daisies by then!
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
hwtan
Competent
Competent

Post by hwtan »

CaptKev,

How is the progress? I am really excited about what you are doing. Since I am not a programmer, I am sorry that I cannot help you in the coding. I suppose you can take a look at the other OXP on how they attained the effect that you are looking for. Or perhaps, release it as a beta and seek for help from the community.

I hope that that helps.

Keep up the good job.

:D
CaptKev
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CaptKev »

Hi hwtan, I'm very busy with work at the moment but I hope to continue working on this soon.
hwtan
Competent
Competent

Post by hwtan »

Hi CaptKev,

That is the reality in life isn't it? :)

Do take care and wish that you enjoy your work as much as coding for Oolite.

Blessing.

hwtan
nijineko
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by nijineko »

any chance of a test oxp that we could all play around with?
arukibito ga michi wo erabu no ka, michi ga arukibito wo erabu no deshou ka?

Play games. Win Amazon gift cards! Brag. Repeat.