Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

[WIP - UPDATED (v0.8.2 19-Aug-23)] Oolite Interactive Map

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Re: [WIP - UPDATED (v0.8.0 21-Aug-23)] Oolite Interactive Map

Post by Cholmondely »

Have you taken it down?

I've just tried looking at it with my AppleMac (using both my older Waterfox & newer Firefox) - and while I can see buttons for species, etc., there are no obvious effects on selecting them - and the right hand edge of the map is missing.

But super to see an update! Thank you!

Edited to add: I'm a doophus. I mis-selected the buttons. Your colours have just come up!

But I don't seem to get the lists of what is what
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
PhantorGorth
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [WIP - UPDATED (v0.8.0 12-Aug-23)] Oolite Interactive Map

Post by PhantorGorth »

cbr wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 9:45 pm
PhantorGorth wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 7:44 pm

I am not 100% sure of the colour scheme used for each system property.

Can I ask people to play with the new features and give me constructive feedback.

For me it is somewhat difficult to visual differentiate tech levels 'close to each other' ( 15 => 14 )
Perhaps a combination of shapes (3) and less colo(u)rs (5)?
OK, take a look. I have updated it do what you suggested. This also means if you select Tech Level for the first dropdown (what is now called "Fill") it is also those shapes. Of course if I add any other options (Productivity?) then that can't use shapes because that would clash with Tech Level if selected for the other option. I may work something out if it comes to it.

Phantor Gorth
Chat and relax with other commanders in the [url=irc://irc.oftc.net/oolite]DS's Seedy Space Bar[/url]. The Coolest Bar in the Eight.

Phantor's OXPs: [EliteWiki] GalCop Rewards and [EliteWiki] Safe Docking
PhantorGorth
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by PhantorGorth »

Cholmondely wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 10:39 pm
Have you taken it down?

I've just tried looking at it with my AppleMac (using both my older Waterfox & newer Firefox) - and while I can see buttons for species, etc., there are no obvious effects on selecting them - and the right hand edge of the map is missing.

But super to see an update! Thank you!

Edited to add: I'm a doophus. I mis-selected the buttons. Your colours have just come up!

But I don't seem to get the lists of what is what
Cholmondely, I haven't taken it down. Not sure what you are meaning here.

As I don't have a Mac to see your issue regarding the right had edge missing and the issue with the legend not appearing for myself, can you put up a screenshot?

Worse come to worse you can still use the old one on the proper link but I am intending to retire that code.

I will have to see if there is a Mac VM service I can make use of.

Well I just tried it on Firefox on windows and I get the same issue. I will work on that. It was fine in Windows Chrome and Edge. Have you tried Safari?

Phantor Gorth.
Chat and relax with other commanders in the [url=irc://irc.oftc.net/oolite]DS's Seedy Space Bar[/url]. The Coolest Bar in the Eight.

PhantorGorth
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by PhantorGorth »

PhantorGorth wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 12:51 am
<snip />

Well I just tried it on Firefox on windows and I get the same issue. I will work on that. It was fine in Windows Chrome and Edge. Have you tried Safari?

Phantor Gorth.
It is down to the fact I used "zoom" to fix the size of the output as I had been using that to get round that I wrote the page for smaller resolution monitors and I had been relying on browser zoom. The downside of that is that Firefox doesn't support that non-standard CSS (most do). I corrected it with some Mozilla only CSS.

I really do need to learn proper responsive web design but this will do for now.

I have also tested it on Opera and it is fine there too.

Phantor Gorth

Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

I get the full map now, but no colouring functions at all (for old Waterfox (G4.1.2.1), new Firefox (109.0.1 - 2023) & old Safari - 13.0.5 - 2019).

Question, sir:

Is your 3D version supposed to tie in with Ahruman's unimplemented 3D galaxy generator?

(Ahruman's Github code)

Another Question: Why "PhantorGorth"? The name of a long-dead philosopher of the history of philosophy? Or of a historian of the philosophy of history? Or the gaelic term for a species of lobster? A lesser demon in the Church of Giles the Creator?

And Yet Another Question: What else had you been hoping to do with your GalCop Rewards OXP? Other than your docking fines add-on...

Found the answer here.

Edited to add: I've just re-updated Firefox. Your map works just fine on the newest version (the other was only a couple of months older!).

And did you ever make any progress on your Epidemics.OXP?
PhantorGorth wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:41 am
BuggyBY wrote:
PhantorGorth wrote:
[*]Get points for delivering medical supplies to plague ridden planets or some other special cargo somewhere that GalCop needs it.
[*]Get points for scooping special cargo and returning it to it's rightful owner.
[*]Get points for helping ships to use your ship's wormhole.
The first one in that snippet sounds like an excellent choice for integration with BlOomberg Markets
I currently have an idea for an Epidemics OXP where every now and again diseases become virulent and start spreading (usually starting from worlds where the description mentions disease) and eventually blow themselves out. But as part of this would have been quarantining and getting permits for delivering medicines so getting reward points as well as money would have been a good idea. But as I said it doesn't need to be just medicines and it could be anything such as alien items or Black Box cargoes to research stations, or diplomatic documents to specific worlds, or weapons to Thargoid war zones.
BuggyBY wrote:
, and the second might be made to work with [EliteWiki] New Cargoes (especially the rare cargoes that are collected by one or two NPCs throughout the charts).
Sounds plausible. The difficult bit, I was thinking, would be defining how you would know who it belonged to and then how to deliver it.
BuggyBY wrote:
I have no idea how you could help ships after having jumped to a different system, though (is that even possible? I thought only pirates and occasionally Thargoids had a chance of following you through). Did you envision something like jumping from close vicinity to a Clean ship with nearly-dead energy banks under attack by baddies? Or were you thinking of an [EliteWiki] Interstellar help OXP scenario?
The Interstellar Help scenario is the sort of thing I was thinking about but more in system. You advertise that you are going to jump to X and then some NPC ships head towards you and follows through your wormhole. If you do this correctly you get points when you next dock (at a participating station) but it also adds the option to lie and then jump into interstellar space and ambush the craft coming through :twisted:
Stranger introduced a new Medicine commodity (SW Economy) but it does not tie in with Bloomberg.oxp or with the GNN plague alerts.
Last edited by Cholmondely on Sun Aug 13, 2023 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Comments wanted:
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Problems here, PG. I guess they're browser-related (Pale Moon).
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
PhantorGorth
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by PhantorGorth »

Cholmondely wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 8:42 am
I get the full map now, but no colouring functions at all (for old Waterfox (G4.1.2.1), new Firefox (109.0.1 - 2023) & old Safari - 13.0.5 - 2019).

Edited to add: I've just re-updated Firefox. Your map works just fine on the newest version (the other was only a couple of months older!).
I am glad it here you have it working. I was contemplate a zoom call with you to work through it.(Assuming you were willing)
Question, sir:

Is your 3D version supposed to tie in with Ahruman's unimplemented 3D galaxy generator?

(Ahruman's Github code)
It doesn't. I used a far simpler algorithm to add Z values to each system that keeps the distances < 7 light years. It was just a fanciful idea and not really practical as it doesn't actually apply to the real game.
Another Question: Why "PhantorGorth"? The name of a long-dead philosopher of the history of philosophy? Or of a historian of the philosophy of history? Or the gaelic term for a species of lobster? A lesser demon in the Church of Giles the Creator?
It is from a kids book: https://www.morgansrarebooks.com/produc ... art-cowley Yes I named myself after a villain!!!
And Yet Another Question: What else had you been hoping to do with your GalCop Rewards OXP? Other than your docking fines add-on...
It was meant to be used by other OXP developers to add rewards but no-one took it up.

Phantor Gorth

PhantorGorth
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by PhantorGorth »

Cody wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 9:06 am
Problems here, PG. I guess they're browser-related (Pale Moon).
Yes, I had never heard of the that browser until you mentioned it. But I have installed it and fixed it. I was using a very recent addition to JavaScript Array.prototype.toReversed which isn't support by Pale Moon, yet. (Might also be the reason Cholmondely was have trouble with a slightly older version of FireFox on Mac.). To resolve it I added a quickly written Polyfill.

Phantor Gorth

Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

PhantorGorth wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 9:26 am
I am glad...
And your proposed Epidemics.oxp?
Comments wanted:
Cody

Post by Cody »

PhantorGorth wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 9:42 am
I had never heard of the that browser until you mentioned it.
Yeah, non-mainstream browsers are being squeezed out by many websites. Why? I expect you can guess. <grumbles>
cbr
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by cbr »

For quickly finding a high tech level or any of the others a switch to enable inner/outer be connected?
PhantorGorth
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by PhantorGorth »

cbr wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 9:59 am

For quickly finding a high tech level or any of the others a switch to enable inner/outer be connected?
How about I add a "Same" option to the Border? Or even better if fill is selected and border is not then that means the "Same"?
Last edited by PhantorGorth on Sun Aug 13, 2023 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PhantorGorth
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by PhantorGorth »

Cody wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 9:51 am
PhantorGorth wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 9:42 am
I had never heard of the that browser until you mentioned it.
Yeah, non-mainstream browsers are being squeezed out by many websites. Why? I expect you can guess. <grumbles>
Is it working now?

Cody

Post by Cody »

PhantorGorth wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 10:26 am
Is it working now?
Mostly... still having problems when entering start/end system names manually.
PhantorGorth
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by PhantorGorth »

Cholmondely wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 9:45 am
PhantorGorth wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 9:26 am
I am glad...
And your proposed Epidemics.oxp?
No nothing was ever done on that. After COVID I am not sure people would want it :lol: