Science Fiction Trivia

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

So Battlefield Earth is indeed a decent book?

Personally, all I know about it is all the fun poked at one of the worst movies of all times...
CheeseRedux
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CheeseRedux »

Yay!

Never saw the movie, never read the book, but I did hear something about at least one of the two being atrocious.

Anyway, now I have to make good on my promise of trivial trivia.
Be right back.
"Actually this is a common misconception... I do *not* in fact have a lot of time on my hands at all! I just have a very very very very bad sense of priorities."
--Dean C Engelhardt
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Commander McLane wrote:
So Battlefield Earth is indeed a decent book?

Personally, all I know about it is all the fun poked at one of the worst movies of all times...
Compared to the film, the book is good. But then compared to the film, extensive dental work without anaesthetic is good.

The book is quite cliche'd and has the usual sci-fi indestructable uber-hero who can do anything and survive anything, but it's quite a fun (if lengthy) read.
CheeseRedux
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CheeseRedux »

Right.

So this was planned as a much simpler question, but had to be reframed and rephrased after a tiny bit of research.

Blade Runner, Spaceballs, Star Trek: First Contact and Starship Troopers.

Besides the obvious thing about being science fiction flicks, these four movies have one specific thing in common.
Furthermore, the common thing shouldn't even be there.

Lords, Ladies, Gentlemen and Aliens: Start your engines...
"Actually this is a common misconception... I do *not* in fact have a lot of time on my hands at all! I just have a very very very very bad sense of priorities."
--Dean C Engelhardt
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

A boom mike in shot? If not, how about unscripted dialogue invented by one of the actors?
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

If it's what I think it is, you could add the original 3 star wars trilogy to the list (although the object in question should be in those).
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

Sound in space? ;-)
CheeseRedux
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CheeseRedux »

Disembodied wrote:
A boom mike in shot? If not, how about unscripted dialogue invented by one of the actors?
Both of these may be correct, but they're not what I'm after.
But if you have some sort of proof/reference, bring it on!

PS: The only unscripted dialogue I know of is the partly improvised Tears in Rain speech.

PPS: Generally speaking, the visible boom mike is not the fault of the filmmaker but the people doing the conversion to DVD (or other formats). Very often, the 35mm reels used in theatres will have plenty of boom shots, because they're intended to be screened using a mask to get the proper aspect ratio. So what you see on your home system isn't always the way it was meant to be.

EDIT: Selezen snuck in with a guess while I was typing. No part of any version of Blade Runner that I've seen takes place in space. But as I said above: If you have some sort of proof/reference, bring it on!
--Dean C Engelhardt
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

OK I'll be more specific - the Millenium Falcon (or at least it's shape) appears in all of the films.
CheeseRedux
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CheeseRedux »

Thargoid wrote:
OK I'll be more specific - the Millenium Falcon (or at least it's shape) appears in all of the films.
Yes, being vague gets you nowhere, at least nowhere with me... :twisted:
The Millennium Falcon it is.

Your turn, bug. :wink:
--Dean C Engelhardt
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

This is a plan view of the Atrium of the Joint Staff College - remind you of anything... :wink: :?

Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

:!:

It's all very well being a fan, but there is such a thing as taking it too far ... :lol:
CheeseRedux
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CheeseRedux »

Wait, they actually built this?!?
--Dean C Engelhardt
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

OK a simple one, as I'm lacking in resources to set things.

20th Century Fox threatened to withhold screening rights for "The Other Side of Midnight" if American cinemas refused to screen which other film?

And no, aside from this I've not heard of The Other Side of Midnight either.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

A certain Star Wars, which apparently was a not-too-hopeful 1977 flick that desperately needed some boosting by bundling it with the anticipated mega success of The Other Side of Midnight.

And no, I've never heard of it before, either (I leave it to your imagination which of the two films I'm referring to). :wink: