Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Introduce Yourself.

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On the moon Thought, orbiting the planet Ignorance.

Re: Introduce Yourself.

Post by Redspear »

Yes, hello terry and welcome!

Absolutetly what maik said :)

Don't be shy if you need any help.
Moonrunner
Average
Average

Post by Moonrunner »

My 3D Pro arrived yesterday :D They had a really good price on non-refurbs, but very long ship times (probably waiting on the slowest Chinese-flagged boat out there). It finally arrived. Now I gotta find the spare time :evil:
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Cool! Diziet Sma's guide to joystick axis set-up may be helpful.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Moonrunner
Average
Average

Post by Moonrunner »

Cody wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:27 pm
Cool! Diziet Sma's guide to joystick axis set-up may be helpful.
Thank you. I was going to ask if there was some info on joystick setup for this game. Also are you aware of any threads giving info on good custom mapping profiles for the Extreme 3D Pro?

As a certified gunnut who's been around the action shooting scene, I've learned that it's always best to start by learning from other people's mistakes and then tweak your equipment/game once you know what you're doing 8)
Cody

Post by Cody »

Moonrunner wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:20 am
Also are you aware of any threads giving info on good custom mapping profiles for the Extreme 3D Pro?
Not offhand, but you're welcome to try my 'stick profile as a starter - four pics here (not all buttons are currently assigned, btw - I use keyboard a lot).
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Moonrunner
Average
Average

Post by Moonrunner »

Cody wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:46 am
Moonrunner wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:20 am
Also are you aware of any threads giving info on good custom mapping profiles for the Extreme 3D Pro?
Not offhand, but you're welcome to try my 'stick profile as a starter - four pics here (not all buttons are currently assigned, btw - I use keyboard a lot).
Thanks.. I'll play some more and see what works for me. Should have by desktop pc back in about a month and then I'll also be running a proper mech keyboard and a 32" screen :)
Commander Philthy
Average
Average

Post by Commander Philthy »

Hello Fellow Space Pilots,

I started playing Elite in the '80s, then re-discovered it a few years ago.

I fly a tooled up Mk3 Cobra doing a mixture of stuff, mostly legal. Rated Deadly with 3000+ kills to date and about 280,000 in the bank. I like to play it using my projector on the wall, with the sound going through the stereo and the cat sat on the settee next to me, like Chewbacca.

I really like the fact that its all run by enthusiasts who are doing it for free for anyone who wants it. The way you can customize the game to your own tastes are one of it's most appealing features. If I wasn't so computer illiterate, I'd have a go at some OXPs as I wish I could make some sort of contribution to it all. Maybe I'll offer some suggestions in the suggestion box. I can't think of any major changes I'd make to it, its great!

I love the nods and references to the sci-fi genre, especially the ships. Also the whole thing seems peculiarly British which makes a change. (The quirky, quaint assassination contracts make me smile. And the adverts.)

So, that's my little introduction, thanks to all contributors,

Fly Friendly!
Commander Philthy
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Hi Commander Philthy, and welcome to the boards!
Astrobe
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Astrobe »

Hi and welcome, Philthy!
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Hi Philthy,
The sofa sounds a good idea - my cat tends to sleep on the keyboard which is a bit un-helpful, so perhaps I should get her a sofa :)
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

G'day Philthy, and welcome aboard!
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On the moon Thought, orbiting the planet Ignorance.

Post by Redspear »

Commander Philthy wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:26 pm
I wish I could make some sort of contribution to it all.
Hi Commander Philthy and welcome.
Testers are always welcome (for both oxps and the game itself) and that can be a very valuable way to contribute.

Whether it's having suggestions, finding exploits or even just breaking stuff, folks round here like to know (speaking generally, of course). Even just sharing your enthusiasm is good as it can be nice to think a piece of work is appreciated.

So, (as long as it's civil) criticise away :D
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia (mainly industrial, feudal, TL12)

Post by maik »

Welcome, Commander! Of course, contributing to the wiki is also highly appreciated.
JamesonBond007
Poor
Poor

Post by JamesonBond007 »

Hello, gentlemen!
My name is ... mmm... Bond, Commander Jameson Bond :).
Probably my story is not much different than others, but I think it has one strong difference. Thereby ELITE I learned English language. Not at all like native speaker, but enough to express my tons of thanks to developers for their brilliant job.

In beginning of 90' when I was young teenager I had ZX Specrum. When I first time saw ELITE I didn't understand what to do and what about the game. In same time I've got an instruction how to play and I fall in love to ELITE. In ELITE everything were on English. At that time there is no Internet nor translation of the game, neither friends who know English. But I had strong desire to understand everything in the game to play the one. I've got a dictionary and I began to translate ELITE for my own purposes. I travelled across eight galaxies, fought with pirates, mined asteroids, trade goods, completed all missions and became ELITE rank. I dreamed how it will be nice if such brilliant game would have nice graphics and much more missions, equipment, etc.
After many years I've got a computer, Internet connection and my dream came back. I tried to play a lot of cosmosims, but all of them were not a tiny bit of that ELITE. Even I tried to play ELITE DOS version. :cry: I started to think to buy ELITE Dangerous, but… but… bingo! I found dreamed ELITE. Dreamed ELITE name is Oolite.

Gen, sorry for my terrible English. I studied English by ELITE as described above.

Sincerely yours ComJaBo
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Welcome aboard, Commander Jameson Bond!

That's a very inspiring story, that Elite motivated you to learn English..
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied