Re: Elite: Dangerous - and the return

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: David Braben's Elite: Dangerous

Post by pagroove »

Aye, true enough - but it is only a demo vid, not game-play. For actual in-game vid, we are still waiting.
True. But I think a lot of things here happen in the engine already.
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Gimi wrote:
I could write an essay on the Star Citizen trailer from the Kickstarter.
<chortles> Yeah, I'll bet you could, Gimi.
pagroove wrote:
But I think a lot of things here happen in the engine already.
Aye, also true, Pag.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

I love the British accents. Tally ho!

Cheers,

Drew.
Drew is an author of SF and Fantasy Novels
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

Post by Norby »

I am not sure that I am right but I take the following process from the video.

The Federal BattleCruiser has enough [EliteWiki] Naval Torpedo to stun the big enemy ship, but can not launch these until the Point-Defense weapons of the enemy are operational which can easily destroy slow torpedoes.

There are turrets on BC which can destroy PD cannons but must be hidden until enemy fighters are near due to these turrets are very vulnerable from fighters. So player must take down these fighters before BC can start his attack.

I think these steps are interesting, maybe worth to implement into Oolite also in the future.
Last edited by Norby on Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

Post by Norby »

pagroove wrote:
But it looks fantastic. I'm excited. Actually I find the first seconds of warping most impressive and also the motion.
The movie-like camera motion add a lot to the lookout also, can give inspiration to improve [wiki]Camera_Drones[/wiki]. ;)
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

Norby wrote:
I am not sure that I am right but I take the following process from the video.

The Federal BattleCruiser has enough [EliteWiki] Naval Torpedo to stun the big enemy ship, but can not launch these until the Point-Defense weapons of the enemy are operational which can easily destroy slow torpedoes.

There are turrets on BC which can destroy PD cannons but must be hidden until enemy fighters are near due to these turrets are very vulnerable from fighters. So player must take down these fighters before BC can start his attack.

I think these steps are interesting, maybe worth to implement into Oolite also in the future.
I actually missed a small comment in the video where someone says "Weapons back online". So the Federal ship seems to have had some problems with it's main armament.
As for point defence destroying the torpedoes, yes that's an issue, and one of the reasons why the dispersal pattern of the salvoes are all wrong. But it's a game and it looks really good.
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
Cody

Post by Cody »

Gimi wrote:
Cody wrote:
The Founders' system has been named - Shinrarta Dezhra.
Good catch there. I hadn't noticed that Liqua changed his signature.
Has there been any mention of Shinrarta Dezhra in the DDF/PBF? It seems odd that I'm the only one to comment on it.
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

Cody wrote:
Gimi wrote:
Cody wrote:
The Founders' system has been named - Shinrarta Dezhra.
Good catch there. I hadn't noticed that Liqua changed his signature.
Has there been any mention of Shinrarta Dezhra in the DDF/PBF? It seems odd that I'm the only one to comment on it.
Nope, not that I can find. Odd that is. I guess the new video caught all the thunder.
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Norby wrote:
The movie-like camera motion add a lot to the lookout also, can give inspiration to improve [wiki]Camera_Drones[/wiki]. ;)
It has a plugin interface for extra cameras. Go ahead and write some...
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

Cool cinematic, but I can't help feeling sorry for Derek in the sidewinder :( nobody seems to care he got blown up right at the start, they all just fly off for Pimms and a game of zero g cricket :lol:
It does look fantastic though, it's already matching in game those awesome pieces of concept art they've put out over the last few weeks
Cody

Post by Cody »

Griff wrote:
I can't help feeling sorry for Derek in the sidewinder nobody seems to care he got blown up right at the start...
Derek probably got automagicked back to a station! However, I do agree - they didn't even form-up into the missing-man formation!

'Four men ride out... and only three ride back!'
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

Those beam lasers do look fantastic slicing up the hull on that capital ship, i wonder how much Newtonian flight model will make it into the game, would be fun drifting sideways past an anaconda cutting a big beam laser gouge into its hull :D
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

There's a new dev diary video out, this time discussing the capital ship battle video.
Hi everyone,

Michael here with the latest Kickstarter update to introduce David's sixth dev diary video. In this diary David provides commentary on the Capital Ship Battle video we released recently to announce the in-game composer. If you haven't watched the video yet then you really should check it out, the music is great! (You can see the video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VE8B4KptyVI (Preview) ). In this dev diary David talks about the process we followed and how it has helped to advance development of the game by putting the video together.
http://youtu.be/V4-gyDLRMXg

David also recently gave a talk at TEDx about procedural generation called 'Rules Can Be Beautiful', you can watch a video of his talk here: youtu.be/GEVutbSqBI0

As mentioned in the last update we'll also release an art diary breaking down the art side of the video in more detail in the next few weeks.

In other news the latest newsletter will be released in the next few days, we've re-synced the newsletter releases so that they correspond with the video releases.
Things are as busy as ever on our forums, if you've backed the game and your reward includes Private Backers or DDF access then make sure to pay a visit and get involved with the discussions. Last week saw a new feature start in the Private Backers forum, it's called 'Peek of the Week' and each week we'll provide a new piece of art or a screenshot of the latest cool asset or feature in game.

Thanks as always for reading and remember that you can still back the game via our website: http://elite.frontier.co.uk

Michael
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Michael Brookes wrote:
Great news that we know many of you have been hoping for – today we’re announcing that Elite: Dangerous will support Oculus Rift. We’re very excited by this and if you aren’t aware of what Oculus Rift is then visit their website to find out more:

http://www.oculusvr.com/

I’m sure you’ll also be pleased to learn that the Oculus Rift version of Elite: Dangerous will be available to ALL backers that have an Oculus Rift headset for no extra cost.

Here’s David’s opinion on this:

“We’ve been playing with the Oculus Rift dev kits and are excited about the potential – just glancing around your cockpit or being totally immersed in a space battle. Many of our backers have made it clear that they would like Oculus Rift support – and so do we! We’re very pleased with the results so far.”

Michael
Interesting. I'm in two minds about this development. I think its good for the game, however I'm not sure about the technology or the price.

First, the technology. I've heard that the resolution in the developer headsets is quite low (though there is talk of HD in the consumer units), and rumours abound about people developing the age-old problem with Virtual Reality headsets - motion sickness.

Second, the price. There's no official word, but the Oculus Rift website suggests they're aiming for a US$300 price point. If that then translates to £300 as these things usually do, then I think they're going to be too expensive for most gamers.
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Here's a new Peek of the Week:

(click on the image to view the original, full size image)
Here we have some work in progress for small ship explosions (again this was a lucky shot!), once of the aspects being investigated is having debris in the explosion. There's still work to be done, but it already feels quite satisfying to see the enemy ship disintegrate in front of you.
Not sure, what ship is that? Is it the Sidewinder, or is it a Cobra??