Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Screenshots

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Cmd. Cheyd
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Deep Horizon Industries Manufacturing & Research Site somewhere in G8...

Post by Cmd. Cheyd »

Kaks - Do you mean that this is already working, as in 1.72.2? Or as in it's already in 1.73?
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Sorry, sometimes I can be as clear as mud: I meant it's already in trunk - when I changed the initPlanet code last week, I did a more thorough job than I realised!

I blame my subconscious! ;)
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Pagroove, here's Laenin's screenshot, as requested:

And now, a glimpse at a brighter future! :)
(from 1.73 onwards we should be able to customise suns colour, radius & corona settings - this is a quite garish attempt at a really big corona. It's very much at the beta stage, though...)
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
overmage
Deadly
Deadly

Post by overmage »

love the Coooomunism bit :lol:

looking really well-textured too!

shouldn't the home base of Cooomunism have a higher productivity, though? Starling and Trollski would be rolling over in his grave if he knew!
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

@Kaks>

Really really great to have this much wished feature. I almost cannot believe this becomes possible great work. I chose Laenin because I think it's one of the best textures in the upcoming Famous Planets pack.

And what a suprise that we can have customized coloured suns. This was another requested feature. Can you post a shot with a red giant?

Speaking of upcoming. I have Famous Planets 2.0.oxp packaged and ready. Tomorrow is launch day.

@ Overmage

As you can see Laenin is part of Famous Planets 2.0.oxp. Well the story of Laenin is that they played an important part in the spreading of Coommunism or Communism but somehow missed the boat benefiting from it on a technologial scale. However Laenin is an important place of pilgrimage for Communist people around galaxy 1.
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
Rebecca
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Rebecca »

lovin the new suns!!!!!! :shock: :D

pagroove - cant wait for the next FP either!!

B
Becca the Hermit Slayer, and part-time unpredictable avatar assassin.
aceshigh
Competent
Competent

Post by aceshigh »

Thargoid wrote:
aceshigh wrote:
uh... why is space light blue as the sky in some of the pics?
They're views from within the atmosphere of the planet looking upward. If you get to a very low altitude you'll see the changes. But if you're going to do it, I'd recommend having Planetfall installed, so you land on the planet gracefully rather than going splat on it like a bug ;)
I think I will pass on Planetfall. No fun landing at a planet if its only some 50km in diameter.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Ah, but given how much you can fit into a cargo bay, just think how much you can fit onto a planet, even one as small as that ;)
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

aceshigh wrote:
I think I will pass on Planetfall. No fun landing at a planet if its only some 50km in diameter.
Wha? You have a criteria? How do you tell? Do you have a cut out, fold out cardboard shape and if your planetoid pops right through you turn your nose up at it?

"Your planet is a piffling trife sir! I would not dirty my space conveyances' landing gear with the fetid earth from such a small offering! I am an important space trader and I demand a certain minimum standard in planetary girth!"

So you'll land at "mere" kilometre wide stations and grubby little rock hemitages but when it comes to planets you suddenly get picky? There's no pleasing some people. :roll:
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Cool! 8)

@Pagroove - last line of planetry description - should "...known as..."
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
ovvldc
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ovvldc »

pagroove wrote:
And what a suprise that we can have customized coloured suns. This was another requested feature. Can you post a shot with a red giant?
Probably not a good idea, given that a red giant would also be a very big sun (a giant of a sun, in fact). When our own sun reaches red giant status it will expand to the point that earth's current orbit will be within its diameter.

I am not sure if that would make landing on the primary planet much easier ;).

-Oz
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
Cool! 8)

@Pagroove - last line of planetry description - should "...known as..."
Yeah I spotted it, Thanx. It was too late for the final release. So that fault is in the package. :D
aceshigh
Competent
Competent

Post by aceshigh »

ClymAngus wrote:
aceshigh wrote:
Wha? You have a criteria? How do you tell? Do you have a cut out, fold out cardboard shape and if your planetoid pops right through you turn your nose up at it?

"Your planet is a piffling trife sir! I would not dirty my space conveyances' landing gear with the fetid earth from such a small offering! I am an important space trader and I demand a certain minimum standard in planetary girth!"

So you'll land at "mere" kilometre wide stations and grubby little rock hemitages but when it comes to planets you suddenly get picky? There's no pleasing some people. :roll:
i think you missed the point. A station IS a station. Its quite big at 1km in diameter.

Call those "planets" asteroids, make them look rocky and make them non-spherical (as 50km large celestial bodies are supposed to be) and I might like it.

To me, its a put off to have realism (ability to land) on such unreal things as 50km diameter planets.

I didnt need to check out your location to notice you are british... :lol:
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

@kaks

Anymore tasty 1.73 shots? 8) :?:
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Looks like Griff has made a new ship. Screenshot time, I guess ;-)
Flyby over a Krait: