Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Random Hits OXP

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Fatleaf
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Re: Random Hits OXP

Post by Fatleaf »

Smivs wrote:
cim wrote:
The next Oolite version will let you press a button in the expansion manager to convert from OXZ to OXP, too.
That's an excellent idea :)
The Carniflora agrees with the Friendly Gourd.
Find out about the early influences of Fatleaf here. Also his OXP's!
Holds the Ooniversal record for "Thread Necromancy"
ralph_hh
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ralph_hh »

One more question from a curious random bounty hunter:
Does the randon hits ranking also fade away slowly it you stop hunting for a while, like the reputation in the trade contract business?
Fatleaf

Post by Fatleaf »

Yup,

With every jump your bounty hunter reputation drops. Slowly but eventually you will be forgotten and never more remembered.
Find out about the early influences of Fatleaf here. Also his OXP's!
Holds the Ooniversal record for "Thread Necromancy"
ralph_hh
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ralph_hh »

Uh oh... After a long ride from an Anarchy Station to the con store with quite a few kills completed on the way, I was sent out by the store to joint the fight against some attackers. The game did not allow me to save... Had a nice battle with 10 or so bounty hunters involved and 10 or so pirates attacking a con-store. Unfortunately after a couple of kills I managed to kill one of the bounty hunters accidentially. Fugitive, having pissed of my fellow hunters, reputation blown, I decided to exit the game rather than applying for the famous Darwin Award.

:lol:
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

A minor update (1.9.8). Market script for Oolite 1.81 is tweaked to work with custom commodities. Which actually aren't around yet, but it's only a matter of time someone creates some.
ralph_hh
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ralph_hh »

Is there a simple way to change the probability of a pirate attack on a con store?
I came across this twice now and it's really big fun, despite the fact that I managed to kill a bounty hunter also on my second encounter.
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

ralph_hh wrote:
Is there a simple way to change the probability of a pirate attack on a con store?
I came across this twice now and it's really big fun, despite the fact that I managed to kill a bounty hunter also on my second encounter.
'Simple' is a subjective term, but if you're not afraid to do some tinkering, here's the way to do it :)

* Create a random_hits.oxp folder into AddOns folder and unzip the oxz file into it.
* Open oolite-randomHits.js file with a text editor. Don't use Notepad, if you're on Windows.
* Find the line (currently it's the line 776) that says

Code: Select all

if (Math.random() < 0.15){
* Change that 0.15 to your liking. Changing it to 0.5 will create a 50% chance of a space bar attack when you jump into a system or load the game from a save.
* After making the change start the game with holding shift key until you see the spinning Cobra on screen. This forces Oolite to rebuild it's cache effectively reading the changed file.
ralph_hh
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ralph_hh »

Ah, thanks. I'll try that soon :-)

I have a suggestion for those events too: When I arrive at that Con Store and the attackers a still far away or the first wave has been eliminated, I usually try to dock. I'm kicked out... well politely asked to launch again. It would be a nice option to be able to re-fuel before being sent out. Arriving from far away, low on fuel it is a bit pointless to enter a violent battle whilst you are at a station anyway. The time you need to dock and launch is wasted anyway, so why not waste a few minutes more for re-fuel?
Marte
Competent
Competent

Post by Marte »

I was in search for bugs to smash, when I've found this one...

The nasty Commander Oddie on his ultrabright whiter pale red sparkling untextured experimental Arachnid Mark 1. I fear him... :P

From the log: 15:55:21.741 [files.notFound]: ----- WARNING: Could not find texture file "Arachnid_Mark_1_auv.png".
Lone_Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lone_Wolf »

Marte wrote:
From the log: 15:55:21.741 [files.notFound]: ----- WARNING: Could not find texture file "Arachnid_Mark_1_auv.png".
there's a rh_arachnid_mark_1_auv.png file in oolite.oxp.spara.random_hits_resources.oxz Textures folder .

OXPs : My user page

Retired, reachable at [email protected]
Imaginos
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Imaginos »

Up to now I have steered well clear of any game changing OXP's but having read the overview of Random Hits, I think that this looks like great fun and feel tempted to install it.
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Imaginos wrote:
I think that this looks like great fun and feel tempted to install it.
I think it's a complete gross-out, and a get-rich-quick cheat. But I recommend it anyway for the scenery; you can never have too many of Griff's station models.
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

Thanks for reporting Marte. Bug fixed and version 1.9.9 uploaded.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Wildeblood wrote:
I think it's ... a get-rich-quick cheat.
Really? My bounty-hunter usually barely manages to break even, or makes only very slow progress in increasing funds.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Wildeblood wrote:
I think it's ... a get-rich-quick cheat.
Really? My bounty-hunter usually barely manages to break even, or makes only very slow progress in increasing funds.
The contracts are quite fairly priced considering the work and risk needed to complete them, I think - but the space bar both has a very profitable market and by its nature significantly reduces the risk of hauling goods through an Anarchy system to trade at that market.