Tales from the spacelanes...

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Re: Tales from the spacelanes...

Post by cim »

Disembodied wrote:
Is the value of your cargo is included in the trade-in value of your ship? If so you might be able to "sell" a whole cargo-load at once by buying a new ship.
Any cargo that will fit on the current station market is sold at the going rate. Any extra is lost.
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

cim wrote:
Disembodied wrote:
Is the value of your cargo is included in the trade-in value of your ship? If so you might be able to "sell" a whole cargo-load at once by buying a new ship.
Any cargo that will fit on the current station market is sold at the going rate. Any extra is lost.
Ha! Well worth knowing, that ...
Dawn Trader
Competent
Competent

Post by Dawn Trader »

There are some truly odd things that go on in our OOniverse..While visiting a level 14 planet in galaxy 2, I came across this very interesting deal of a life time:
there for sale were 3 Veloce e Appuntita, all going for 600,000 to 650,000 credits.
Also a Veloce e Appuntita S for sale at the low low price of 650 credits. So I turned in my Cobbie III and outftted the new vessel with everything I could grab. What a Sweet deal.
Cloning, It's not for everyone.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

<grins> A sweet deal indeed! Something dodgy in that OXP, I presume?
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Dawn Trader
Competent
Competent

Post by Dawn Trader »

Possible but let's see if others report the same price variances.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

I've seen it too.. and there was a brief discussion about it shortly after the OXP was released. It was a copy and paste error from Xcode that slipped in..

Knotty did release a fixed version of the OXP.. you might want to update to the current version. :wink:

(You must have been quick off the mark, Dawn Trader.. from official release to fix was only 2 days!)
Last edited by Diziet Sma on Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Cody

Post by Cody »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Knotty did release a fixed version of the OXP.. you might want to update to the current version.
Heh... thing is, how much is his current model worth in the old OXP, and how much will it be worth in the fixed OXP?
Dawn Trader
Competent
Competent

Post by Dawn Trader »

The version I have is 1.1
internally it says 1.0
the shipyard.plist shows the white and the S model as only 650 so I put in the extra 000 and saved in wordpad.
Thanks Diziet Sma for the help on what to look for.
I did not know that that discussion existed, I need to come in from the black and study in the Aegis library more often.
Cody

Post by Cody »

Out on patrol in the Maraus hub again, I dropped into Quonbi. With a price on my head, I was expecting trouble from the Vipers, but the system was crawling with bandits instead - Asps, Wolf Mk IIs, a Blackdog, Cobra IIIs, a few too many shark-teeth Geckos - chaos. I managed to save some poor, misguided Holy Joe, and a couple of traders, as I fought my way in-system. All the way, the Vipers ignored me - even in the aegis, but I still docked on injectors, just in case. Made my repairs, topped the tank, loaded another 30TC and launched. Now the Vipers were after me - I was taking hits right into the wormhole (just as well they don't follow, I suppose), but no damage ensued.

Thence to Leveti. Crikey, it was going mad there too, and there was another Holy Joe - The Magister's Pale Phaeton - that I had to save three times. After that though, I was pretty shot-up and needed to get in-system fast. I waved goodbye and good luck to The Magister's Pale Phaeton, and was about to hit the injectors when green laser fire began to hammer me - and the first kit damaged was the damn injectors. Now I was in deep mierda - the [EliteWiki] Green Gecko is utterly ruthless, and no matter what I tried, he had the beating of me. Eventually, the inevitable happened, and I had the pleasure of having my ass handed to me. But what a glorious dogfight!
Capt. Reynolds
Competent
Competent

Post by Capt. Reynolds »

Cody wrote:
...taking hits right into the wormhole...
*chokes on coffee* God, I am such a child.
Mad Dan Eccles
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Mad Dan Eccles »

I'm making a run into Cetege—a little shithole of a level 3 Anarchy in the badlands of Galaxy 5 where they love their liquor, it appears—when it happened.

There was the usual mix of lowlifes and wet-eared traders, and I was picking off a few low-value bounties, but in a bit of a hurry to get to the station because there was something, something about this system that was making me itch. I knew it wasn't going to be plain sailing when I misjudged a turn and a hardhead hit the Shifted Paradigm aft, long after the pirate that had launched it was space dust. Not a major problem, only taking out half of the Boa Class's upgraded shields, but nonetheless annoying.

With all the med boats and traders wandering around and me hauling their arses outta various fires and, as I say, being in a bit of a hurry I ran out of gas with the station just taking shape in the front screen. Maybe I wasn't paying attention but I got a mass lock as I entered an asteroid field and before I've had time to say Great Blessed Onre I'm taking effective fire from eight different vectors. I take one down, but then my front weapons are overheating and I have to switch and fire backwards but my shields are falling at an alarming rate so I quickly lock and fire two hardheads at two different targets, no time to see where they're going because damn, I'm taking damage and have lost some cargo so I lock up another missile and fire it at the nearest scrote only to wonder why there wasn't a whoosh and where the blue blip is and why is everybody suddenly running

And I release I've accidentally armed and fired a Quirium mine.

And I have no witch fuel left.

I maintain my current at full speed and hope and pray I've got enough momentum to get out of this as one by one the remaining pirates either vaporize or just manage to get clear. I think the blue screen of death is going to overtake me and I wonder if an escape pod can actually survive this and whether I can even get into it in time when

It's all over.

There's just me and a whole pile of cargo containers containing what turns out to be thousands of credits worth of precious metals. More than enough to cover the cost of the hardheads I've just expended—and the mine. The couple of pirates that survived actually come back to bug me while I'm scooping but I soon dispatch them and I'm back on my way.

And, yeah. I made the booze delivery on time, too.
Master of Mayhem

"The name's derived from Object Oriented eLite so you could say "Oh! Oh! Leet!", but that might sound too much like g33k sex."
CaptSolo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CaptSolo »

Very amusing tale, Mad Dan. Thanks for sharing.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Missed a Darwin Award by the skin of your teeth.. well done! 8)
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Mad Dan Eccles
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Mad Dan Eccles »

Hee hee, thanks. Yeah, that was a close-run thing.
Master of Mayhem

"The name's derived from Object Oriented eLite so you could say "Oh! Oh! Leet!", but that might sound too much like g33k sex."
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

One of my routine runs through Esceso went a little wrong, and I ended up with a few bits of damaged kit they couldn't fix there. I was heading eastwards, so didn't want to detour to Xeabiti, but a trip to Envebe would barely take me off course, and it's a decent trade route. There's a long jump into Laatre to start with, but I turn sunwards and hope for the best. There's a lone offender in a Moray hanging about suspiciously about halfway to the star, but they don't bother me, and I don't bother them. Sunskim, jump, no problem. Envebe should be pretty safe, so I turn to the planet ... and then notice a couple of blips closing in off the port bow, blocking torus drive, then a few more.

Visual picks out seven or eight engine flares, ident says 'offender', and that's confirmed a couple of seconds later when their leader asks for about a third of my cargo hold. They must be confident, but then, they don't know what I'm armed with yet. Still, there goes my hopes that I'd be safe from Laatre's brigands once I was out of their system.

I've got the advantage of range, and my military lasers take out a couple before they get close enough to open fire. I get a third one as they come into range, but now my fore and aft lasers are starting to overheat, and the Python leading them is keeping pressing me with their beam laser, while a couple of Ferdies dive around, getting in the way. I guess I didn't know what they were armed with either.

Pretty soon my shields are dropping, and my energy banks are struggling under the strain. I hit the injectors to make a run in system, but my aft shield is gone and the third energy bank drains unpleasantly rapidly. I'm reaching for the cargo release, doubtful that I'll actually be able to drop enough to satisfy them before it's too late. Half the fourth energy bank goes, there's a new bunch of red lights on the cargo hold panel, and I'm still not out of range.

Then, the scanner lights up, as six new blips drop out of witchspace in rapid succession, lock on to the Python, and open fire. Some bounty-hunting party returning from its own raid on Laatre or Errara, no doubt, but I'm not sticking around to ask. The pirates break off from shooting at me to look at this new threat, and there's the blue shimmer of an exit wormhole as at least one of them decides it's time to cut their losses. Then I'm clear, and it's safe flying the rest of the way to the station.