Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

[REL] Z-GrOovY Ship Repaints Updated 4 Trunk and 1.77.1

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Re: [REL] Z-GrOovY paintshed presents:Griff's ships retextur

Post by Smivs »

Smivs wrote:
To reduce the number of your ships, if you are staying with the inbuilt AI, just give them a low role number, such as

Code: Select all

roles = "trader(0.5)";
which will mean somewhere around 1 in 20 traders will be this type.
There is not a role of 'freighter' in the core game, but this could be custom-defined by script if you thoght it was needed.
O.K. What I meant to say was:- very roughly speaking, at a guess, somewhere around 1 in 20 traders will be this type, providing no other OXP is affecting the number of traders.

:D
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
dertien
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by dertien »

Thank you all for the replies, it's useful information. Like I said, I was looking to diversify and not multiply.

So as I understand this correctly, the more I put freighters in there, the more exponentially you will have them in a given system if they can spawn there given a condition in the shipdata.plist. Of course say you spawn a Mallwart Anaconda in a tech 12 system and it hyperspaces to an anarchy system where there is no constore it might bring up some issues or errors. I am not very keen on scripting... as I said, I can copy paste script but the story ends there. So I am going to stick to the ingame ai behavior or use them as replacements for transports.oxp.

Most freighters in my amended Transports 2.52 oxp now have a role number of 0.10, but I might even put this lower, I need to test this oxp some more and polish it.

Thank you again ladies and gents for the feedback.
Alpha Backer of Elite Dangerous
With 250 GBP :D
dertien
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by dertien »

pagroove wrote:
I like them very much. But one thing to consider. I also said it to Griff. (in a PM I believe)
The Transporter is on the wrong scale. Of course Oolite messes up scales but if you look into the size of the Transporter you see that it is actually one of the smallest ships. Look at my Wiki link:

[wiki=]http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Transp ... 8Oolite%29[/wiki]

If you then look at the windows on Griff's texture and your version you soon realize that the transporter looks by the texture as if it is nearly 200 meters in lenght (at least)

So either the shipmodel should be much bigger or the windows should be bigger. I prefer to scale the thing up to Anaconda-like size because then you won't have to change the already excellent texture. But then it is not the 'original' transporter size anymore.

Anyone else thoughts on this?
It looks bigger than it actually is on the screenshot because I went very close to it :D Actually it's about 1.5 times the size of a regular (griff) transporter. A bit like a tractor and a semi trailer, instead of a tractor alone. sizewise, there is not much we can do In Oolite I'm afraid. (the train you see in the screenshot is actually 2 transporters overlapping each other one being the subentity of the other and 2 different textures.) A bit like the engines are subentities of the freighters if you're familiar with the shipdata.plist from Griff's all in one oxp.

Now the rescale question is something I thought about doing, but ...
If you take the Anaconda ( which ingame looks about 3 times as long as a sidewinder or less) as a standard because it's the biggest ship to dock the coriolis and you start scaling down the other craft accordingly, I think you will have a hard time trying to hit that little speck of a pirate Mamba or a Krait attacking you dead on. It will be necessary to change speeds and laser ranges too, no ? If you scale the craft up from the Mamba as a standard for example, I bet a lot of Kamikaze anacondas will be hitting the stations out there, unless you scale up the stations too, but what can of worms are you opening up then ? Has anyone tried this? What influence will this have on docking distances and routes all the ships run ?

I think there is a fair chance that it would create some issues in the gameplay department or am I wrong here ?
Last edited by dertien on Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
dertien
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by dertien »

WIP of the first ship in project "Diversify":

After redoing the UV mapping of the model and cannibalizing Griff's Cobra Mark I texture for armor plating here is the wip screenshot of the Viper Sentinel. If anyone can come up with a better name please do. It has to be Oolite friendly though. It has resized engine nacelles of a cobra Mk 3 (not textured yet), and an altered fuselage of Griff's viper. It was really hard to jigsaw puzzle the panels together without messing up the perspective and the size of the textures. Hi res textures would have helped, but It is what it is and I am NOT redoing it :) I realise now that Griff really must have taken his time to create all the models from scratch and make them look so good.

- Diffusemap is 1/3 done.
- Normalmap and Effectsmap still need to be done.

Screenshots:

Yes yes, release of this baby will be asap.
CheeseRedux
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [REL] Z-GrOovY paintshed WIP screenshots

Post by CheeseRedux »

I really like the look of this one.
A thought struck me though:
With that texture, it looks like it was made exactly the way it was made: Cobbled together from various bits and pieces. As such, would it not suit better as a criminal rather than law enforcement? Something made in a chop-shop from salvaged wrecks and then let loose on an unsuspecting ooniverse?
"Actually this is a common misconception... I do *not* in fact have a lot of time on my hands at all! I just have a very very very very bad sense of priorities."
--Dean C Engelhardt
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

dertien wrote:
If you take the Anaconda ( which ingame looks about 3 times as long as a sidewinder or less)
The Anaconda is 170m long, the sidewinder 35m long so the Anaconda is actually around five times longer than the sidwinder.
Don't forget dimensions can be checked on the Wiki individual ship pages, and comparative sizes are visually available via the Ship size chart.

It's interesting to note that the Transporter is the same length as the Sidewinder, but much smaller in terms of width (and height).
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
dertien
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [REL] Z-GrOovY paintshed WIP screenshots

Post by dertien »

CheeseRedux wrote:
I really like the look of this one.
A thought struck me though:
With that texture, it looks like it was made exactly the way it was made: Cobbled together from various bits and pieces. As such, would it not suit better as a criminal rather than law enforcement? Something made in a chop-shop from salvaged wrecks and then let loose on an unsuspecting ooniverse?

Yes indeed, my thought exactly. This is not supposed to be a viper for law enforcement, more a civvie hot rod or a pirate (different textures), so a better name would be.Viper Raider, Viper Claw or Viper Derelict ...
Last edited by dertien on Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
dertien
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by dertien »

Smivs wrote:
dertien wrote:
If you take the Anaconda ( which ingame looks about 3 times as long as a sidewinder or less)
The Anaconda is 170m long, the sidewinder 35m long so the Anaconda is actually around five times longer than the sidwinder.
Don't forget dimensions can be checked on the Wiki individual ship pages, and comparative sizes are visually available via the Ship size chart.

It's interesting to note that the Transporter is the same length as the Sidewinder, but much smaller in terms of width (and height).

Cool, thanks for that smivs, bookmarked it. The chart makes everything clear. When I kitbashed the "Train" model together I didn't know how to use Wings 3D. So I didn't open the model. so it should be 52.5 meters long if griff respected the charts when he made the model. But it looks like he didnt ? or did I understand PAgroove wrong ?

As soon as I find where I can enter the scale in wings 3d I will have a go at resizing griff's transporter, and see what it does ingame.
For now I am going to bed.

Laterz

Steve
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Re: [REL] Z-GrOovY paintshed Viper Sentinel WIP screenshots

Post by Griff »

Wow, that looks really cool! really clever work re-mixing all the textures and models!
PAGroove makes a really good point about the texture on the transporter, it the latest all-in-1 bundle the 'windows' along the spine have gone, i think they were the element that was muckng up the perceived scale of the ship, i got that wrong when putting the ship together i was thinking the transporter was something along the lines of a 747 airliner, totally forgot to compare the size of the original model against the others, it's tiny :lol:
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

dertien wrote:
Now the rescale question is something I thought about doing, but ...
If you take the Anaconda ( which ingame looks about 3 times as long as a sidewinder or less) as a standard because it's the biggest ship to dock the coriolis and you start scaling down the other craft accordingly, I think you will have a hard time trying to hit that little speck of a pirate Mamba or a Krait attacking you dead on. It will be necessary to change speeds and laser ranges too, no ? If you scale the craft up from the Mamba as a standard for example, I bet a lot of Kamikaze anacondas will be hitting the stations out there, unless you scale up the stations too, but what can of worms are you opening up then ? Has anyone tried this? What influence will this have on docking distances and routes all the ships run ?

I think there is a fair chance that it would create some issues in the gameplay department or am I wrong here ?
Time to repeat my mantra! :D

Sizes, distances, and as a result also speeds are totally, royally, officially, irredeemably unrealistic in Elite/Oolite, and the only sensible way to handle this situation is to completely ignore it and just measure whatever you want to measure in relation to something which seems sensible to form a relation to, and completely forget about the rest.

The reason is very simple: Elite/Oolite has to work as a game, not as a realistic space simulation, which is almost by definition only possible with screwed-up scales.

In short:
  • All ship-type entities (including stations; but with the possible exception of the Anaconda, which is a very special case and therefore not a good reference point) are too big if compared to human size; but this is—as you already pointed out—a gameplay necessity, because otherwise you wouldn't see them.
  • All planet-type entities are too small if compared to human size, and way to small if compared to ship sizes; this is another gameplay necessity, because you would never find a Coriolis in front of a realistically sized planet (two to three orders of magnitude(!) bigger than in Oolite).
  • All distances are way too small if compared to anything else (the witchpoint beacon is between 300 and 900 km from the planet, which on Earth would be a low orbit, a negligible distance, the planets are orbiting the suns in a distance of about 1000 km (a whopping five orders of magnitude away from anything that would even remotely make sense); again a pure gameplay necessity if you ever want to get anywhere and meet anybody (just imagine for a second the number of entities in a typical Oolite system, but stretched to a space lane 100,000 times as long; welcome to the most boring game ever created).
So, whatever you try with rescaling, you won't get it right. The only possible criteria are visibility and playability of each single ship.
CheeseRedux
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CheeseRedux »

Not to argue with McLane's mantra (if nothing else, because I agree with it), there is nothing wrong with making similar entities scale sensibly. So leaving aside all the other stuff there is out there, it still makes sense for a fighter to be smaller than a freighter. But trying for any sort of precise correlation between, say, size and cargo capacity will probably result in a much bigger headache than it's worth.
"Actually this is a common misconception... I do *not* in fact have a lot of time on my hands at all! I just have a very very very very bad sense of priorities."
--Dean C Engelhardt
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

I take the distances to mean Kilo-MILES.
And all the ships/stations/whatever are magnified immensely relative to their distances.
Even a ship the size of a supertanker on Earth (about 1000 feet long) would barely be a faint dot at 2000 miles away (2 km in Oolite).
Top speeds for ships is for when they use their torus drive, otherwise even 100 km (kilo-miles) would be covered in about 2 seconds if a ship is capable of ~0.3 LM.

Even still, this doesn't reconcile the distance between planet and sun when considering torus speeds. If the distance can be covered in less than 10 minutes, it wouldn't match up with ~100,000 km.

In short, don't try too hard to make the speed, ship/planet/sun sizes, and distances make sense. :lol:
dertien
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by dertien »

@Commander McLane, CheeseRedux, Switeck

Rest assured, I was not planning on altering anything that would transform Oolite into a spacesim boredom that X3 for example is, with lots of eye candy, but noting to do and micromanaging menuscreens. It's about gameplay and not realism, like the good old Elite, and I dont think I am planning on becoming an astronaut, so realism is something that comes with Real Life, unless you're really simming which Oolite makes no point in recreating.

Still, like CheeseRedux said, there has to be a certain relationship between ship sizes, and the way it was set up in Oolite and pointed out to me by Smivs (http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Ship_size_chart) suits me just fine.

So please fear not, the models above (both the Customized Viper and the Train) are within Oolite parameters and like I said existing "amended models").

@ Griff

Since I can't make them myself the only option was to steal the panels :wink: How did you create the pattern on the ships ? I am proficient enough at photoshop to make the "effects" look good, but I am a total goofball when it comes to creating new patterns. It took a while before my brain made the right "click" to make the patterning effect look good.

Ok never mind Griff, found the links I was looking for here on the BB. Didn't follow your method there, but used the same Filters from the nvidia website.

Later

Steve
dertien
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by dertien »

Ok here are the tests of the normalmap textures which turned out to be quite satisfactory after some tinkering:

pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Nice ship!

BTW with the scale of the transporter I did not mean to say that Either Your or Griff's texture is bad but I wanted only to point out that the Transporter should be scaled up to a small Bulk Haulers size like in ADCK's Bulk Hauler OXP. http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Bulk_HaulersThen maybe a new texture can be made for the small transporter.
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709