Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

The Imperial Courier---Supreme Choice??

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

@LittleBear:
LittleBear wrote:
This is implemented with Random Hits 1.3.6, but the gang of Uber Criminals raid the Space Bar not the main station. ... you have to reach a certain elite rating and Bounty Hunters' Guild rating before the chance of this happening can be called.
Uh :shock:

I guess I will spend some time doing random hits bountyhunting after finishing the assassins missions then!

@Cmdr Wyvern & wackyman465:
Cmdr Wyvern wrote:
"It comes, the Hammer of Sorrow!"
For example: Exactly :twisted:

And what a cool ship it is, also! :shock:

Cheers everyone

L
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

The "Hammer of Sorrow" screenshot just put a large, evil grin on my face.
Thank you.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Zbond-Zbond
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zbond-Zbond »

LittleBear wrote:
Blackbeard still pirated
A rôle model for the modern elite politico's attention, Blackbeard kept accurate records, had an excellent health benefits system and created a democratic administration, siamesed with a share-based corporate structure.

Perhaps his Oolite equivalent could set up democratic regimes of a unique flavour.

In a recent thread I explored "dockable debris" - a phenomenon which is apparently some sort of glitch (I couldn't call it a bug, since I rather enjoy the feature: it is my favourite escape pod destination - even better than the actual, intended, planet).

Whatever characteristic rendered the debris "dockable" could perchance be applied to occasional ships, making them "stealable" :?:
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Zbond-Zbond wrote:
Whatever characteristic rendered the debris "dockable" could perchance be applied to occasional ships, making them "stealable" :?:
This could actually be done.

Make some ship that can be "docked" directly by touching it with your ship, and make the "same ship" buyable in its shipyard which has been set to true. Only in this ship's shipyard, Oolite-unique. The ship costs 0.1 Cr.

At launch, the NPC ship is removed, leaving you with the impression that you just captured this ship.

Could someone please make an oxp out of this?
Zbond-Zbond
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zbond-Zbond »

I read in another thread "the (player's) ship IS the game.."

Would the pilot therefore still be flying their original ship, with the captured ship as booty, or flying the captured ship?

I will look up earlier post and see how the dockable debris was explained
It arose in some OXP which I must have installed, so can look more closely at that

edit -- oh i c if they bought the ship @ ¢0.1 they'd then be flying it..
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

So reading this suggests to me that it would, infact, be possible to switch ships and (as I said earlier) perhaps carry them around in a condor...
I shot him back first. That is to say, I read his mind and fired before he would have fired on me. No, sir, he wasn't a fugitive.
zevans
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm

Post by zevans »

Thargoid wrote:
So what's Lovecats then?
Oh yeah. Duh. :-) Soz!
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

wackyman465 wrote:
So reading this suggests to me that it would, infact, be possible to switch ships and (as I said earlier) perhaps carry them around in a condor...
It would - but it would be complicated. Too complicated for my taste to try my hand at it myself.

You would have to define certain ships in the shipyard.plist that cost 0.1 Cr and are always available, but under the condition that a certain mission variable has a certain value.

Then you have to specify under which circumstances does the mission variable get that value. Perhaps when you dock with a derelict ship, for example.

Etc. etc. Script a station that spawns in front of the ship without ever being seen ingame and make it look in that station as if you were just changing ships etc.

Too tired atm to go further into detail but you should be able to work out the workaround I am suggesting from here.

If someone does this, I would find it very cool.
Rustybolts
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: ...

Post by Rustybolts »

Lestradae wrote:
wackyman465 wrote:
It would - but it would be complicated. Too complicated for my taste to try my hand at it myself.

You would have to define certain ships in the shipyard.plist that cost 0.1 Cr and are always available, but under the condition that a certain mission variable has a certain value.

Then you have to specify under which circumstances does the mission variable get that value. Perhaps when you dock with a derelict ship, for example.

Etc. etc. Script a station that spawns in front of the ship without ever being seen ingame and make it look in that station as if you were just changing ships etc.

Too tired atm to go further into detail but you should be able to work out the workaround I am suggesting from here.

If someone does this, I would find it very cool.
Wasn't aware you could set conditions into a shipyard.plist but if this is possible would be very cool to have a lockup floating in space with a selection of your favourite ships. A large trader a smaller fighting craft and maybe something frivolous like a Hatchling Racer .
STE.+ Firefly/Dragonfly + BlackJacksbullion v.1.23 link below.
http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=ca16 ... f6e8ebb871
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Rustybolts wrote:
Wasn't aware you could set conditions into a shipyard.plist but if this is possible would be very cool to have a lockup floating in space with a selection of your favourite ships. A large trader a smaller fighting craft and maybe something frivolous like a Hatchling Racer.
Yes you can! And the "lockup floating in space" could be done in a way that the player never notices it. So you could simulate say a Condor that has a fighter craft on board and you can change between the two. If you are in the fighter craft, you would have to spawn a NPC Condor that behaves as if it was the one you own, though etc. ... as I said, complicated.

Also, there is one showstopper to which there is currently no workaround: You loose your cargo when changing ship. There seems to be no way to prevent that :(

I was thinking a concept study of the above for OSE, but I remember now that at the cargo showstopper I finally gave up. Perhaps a new feature for 1.74 is in order? :P

Cheers

L
Rustybolts
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Rustybolts »

Lestradae wrote:
Rustybolts wrote:
Wasn't aware you could set conditions into a shipyard.plist but if this is possible would be very cool to have a lockup floating in space with a selection of your favourite ships. A large trader a smaller fighting craft and maybe something frivolous like a Hatchling Racer.
Yes you can! And the "lockup floating in space" could be done in a way that the player never notices it. So you could simulate say a Condor that has a fighter craft on board and you can change between the two. If you are in the fighter craft, you would have to spawn a NPC Condor that behaves as if it was the one you own, though etc. ... as I said, complicated.

Also, there is one showstopper to which there is currently no workaround: You loose your cargo when changing ship. There seems to be no way to prevent that :(

I was thinking a concept study of the above for OSE, but I remember now that at the cargo showstopper I finally gave up. Perhaps a new feature for 1.74 is in order? :P

Cheers

L
You learn something everyday. I was looking at doing this after reading one of the frontier forums on suggestions for elite 4, but couldn't find a command in js that changed the player ship. The only problem with doing it through the shipyard.plist your "owned" ship may appear twice would it not?
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

Also could you make sure it had the same EQ when you re-bought it?
I shot him back first. That is to say, I read his mind and fired before he would have fired on me. No, sir, he wasn't a fugitive.
Rustybolts
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Rustybolts »

You can award equipment so should be no problem there
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

You could have the condor set as a station that normally has no cargo, then when you want to switch ships, you could sell your cargo to it, then rebuy it on your new ship.
Or, couldn't you just award the cargo a la military fiasco?
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

The problem ones will be lasers and missiles, as getting them to maintain would be much more tricky.