Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Space MMORPG (more or less Oolite style) in the planning

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Re: Space MMORPG (more or less Oolite style) in the planning

Post by Smivs »

El Viejo wrote:
Personally, the idea is not at all to my liking....
I can certainly see the appeal, but as an alternative to Oolite, not a replacement.
The prospect of crossing swords with some of you is very tempting :D but it might be a bit unfair on the relative newcomers to find one of us Armageddon Vets on your six.
Also my 'Shoot-on-sight' policy towards offenders might have to change, eh, EV?
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

As somebody mentioned, meeting a given person would be hard, unless it was restricted somehow... i.e. you choose where you are at the start like you choose a server in MMORPG...
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Smivs wrote:
Also my 'Shoot-on-sight' policy towards offenders might have to change, eh, EV?
Confession: I've been running mostly 'clean' lately, as I don't need GalCop on my radar atm.
(Although I did manage a couple of nice, lucrative runs earlier today).
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Old habits die hard :D
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Zireael wrote:
Why have multiplayer Oolite, when we can have Hired Guns and Personalities, and (hopefully) Squadron Leader, and Galactic Navy...
This is more or less my opinion as well. These are OXPs which bring sort of a multiplayer experience into a single player Ooniverse (perhaps not GalNav, but the others). Personally I don't want more than that, so I don't particularly care for a multiplayer Oolite.

All the (in)frequently popping up debates have been more or less circling around the same lines. In short: Oolite in its totality cannot be ported into multiplayer. It's simply too vast, both in size of its universe (2048 systems, which means that short of a couple of hundred players it's unlikely to meet anybody else), and in scope of its gameplay (exploring, trading, fighting, contract-delivery, missions, and whatnot). In order to make it practical for multiplayer, you have to cut down every aspect of it: restrict it to one galaxy only, even one system (or a couple of systems) only, get rid of the trading mechanism, make it into a pure arena combat environment. Which means that the final result wouldn't really resemble Oolite. Which begs the question: what's the point of a multiplayer Oolite, if it stops being Oolite? And would the resulting multiplayer game be attractive in its own right? Either that, or it wouldn't be much more than the IRC channel is right now: a mere opportunity to chat while playing.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

For me the big plus of "single-player" Oolite are OXPs, allowing the shaping of the Ooniverse to be exactly as you want it to be. But of course that would be the big disadvantage of "multi-player" Oolite. Everyone would have to have the same OXPs, hence they wouldn't be OXPs in the sense we know them now but trunk updates/incorporates.

Having multi-player with each player having their own defined Ooniverse is a nonsense...
Ganelon
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ganelon »

Mostly, I like Oolite as a solo game. If I wanted to be social, I wouldn't take my virtual spaceship and head out into the big dark. LOL

But something like a "duel mode" could be fun. One system, one reasonably high tech level station, a certain amount of credits to tweak up a stock MKIII a bit and then meet at the beacon. The basics are where we all started, pretty much, so matches would boil down to skill and maybe a little luck.

I loved fencing class, back in college.

Don't get me wrong, MMORPG Oolite is a cool concept. I almost certainly would give it a try, if it ever happens. I just doubt it's something I'd stick with in the long term.

Current single player Oolite is so delightfully customisable and the ongoing developments so fascinating, that I don't see it as being something where an MMORPG could take the place of it for me.
Sleep? Who needs sleep? Got game. No need sleep.
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

Ganelon wrote:
Current single player Oolite is so delightfully customisable and the ongoing developments so fascinating, that I don't see it as being something where an MMORPG could take the place of it for me.
Beautifully put.
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

Time travel occurs regularly in Oolite, but it's always forwards. Make a 6-7 LY jump, and nearly 2 days pass "outside" your jump before you reach your destination. Even docking/launching from a station is a 10 minute affair. Longer that that passes when refueling, buying equipment, or doing damage repair. You can't handle that even remotely nicely in a multiplayer game.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Switeck wrote:
Time travel occurs regularly in Oolite, but it's always forwards. Make a 6-7 LY jump, and nearly 2 days pass "outside" your jump before you reach your destination. Even docking/launching from a station is a 10 minute affair. Longer that that passes when refueling, buying equipment, or doing damage repair. You can't handle that even remotely nicely in a multiplayer game.
This is true, and an objection that I’ve raised in the past, but it’s really the very least of our problems. The clock has very little relevance to normal gameplay; if the clock was removed and the timing rules for cargo missions changed in connection with a multiplayer version, I doubt most people would notice, let alone care much.
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

TGHC wrote:
Ganelon wrote:
Beautifully put.
Nf n pnirng ba gung, jr NER nyernql cynlvat na bbyvgr ZZBECT. Gur sbehz naq gur bkcf ner ubj jr punatr rnpu bguref jbeyqf. Abg ol unatvat ba fbzrbarf 6 naq oybjvat gurz gb boyvivba. Vg vf na vagryyrpghny, VG zrpunavpny xvaq bs tnzr jvguva n tnzr. Gb fcraq gvzr gelvat gb znxr Bbyvgr vgfrys ZZBECT jbhyq gnxr gvzr njnl sebz gur vagrenpgvir tnzr gung jr ner nyernql cynlvat.
Last edited by ClymAngus on Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

ClymAngus wrote:
TGHC wrote:
Ganelon wrote:
Beautifully put.
Nf n pnirng ba gung, jr NER nyernql cynlvat na bbyvgr ZZBECT. Gur sbehz naq gur bkcf ner ubj jr punatr rnpu bguref jbeyqf. Abg ol unatvat ba fbzrbarf 6 naq oybjvat gurz gb boyvivba. Vg vf na vagryyrpghny, VG zrpunavpny xvaq bs tnzr jvguva n tnzr. Gb fcraq gvzr gelvat gb znxr Bbyvgr vgfrys ZZBECT jbhyq gnxr gvzr njnl sebz gur vagrenpgvir tnzr gung jr ner nyernql cynlvat..
Careful, if the wife starts to count my time on the forum as game-playing time I'm in serious trouble. Please encrypt these posts. :D
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

Gimi wrote:
Careful, if the wife starts to count my time on the forum as game-playing time I'm in serious trouble. Please encrypt these posts. :D

Done, but...... you've already quoted it. I can't fix that one. :D
Cody

Post by Cody »

Done!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

El Viejo wrote:
Done!
The fun with this bb is that people take the important things seriously. They have their priorities straight. :lol:
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).