Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

hyperradio

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Rustybolts
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Rustybolts »

re-uploaded above pack with fixes
STE.+ Firefly/Dragonfly + BlackJacksbullion v.1.23 link below.
http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=ca16 ... f6e8ebb871
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Rustybolts wrote:
re-uploaded above pack with fixes
Added to the WIKI -> http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Hyperradio_Musicpacks.
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

v1.18 is online.

Changes:
- Only EQ handling changed (deprecation warning)
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

v1.19 is online.

Changes:
- Faster executed now to give players a chance to run more oxps together.
Ganelon
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ganelon »

Great OXP.

While I sorta understand the point of:
The most important reason (for me) to set the price to a high value was that the game reaches very fast a point were credits doesn't really matter anymore. So a player can spend some credits and gets a nice feature. And that again and again, because it's just a limited licence.
.. it seems a bit incongruous to have a recurrent 12kcr fee to listen to CC license music, but eh, you're the creator of the OXP, so it's your call. Interesting statement though, when the ship's stereo costs about as much as putting on both fore and aft mil lasers or about 200 tons of food. Perhaps in the far flung fOoture, interests like the RIAA are even more unreasonable than they are in present times. :shock:

A couple of ideas. Maybe the Thought Police in Communist systems might hike the "offender" status of ships that pass close by them that are "importing subversive capitalist propaganda" by playing Hyperradio.

For the stations, station IDs and liners could be fun, maybe something like..
"Intergalactic Hard.. and.. Heavy! You tune us in, and we turn you on with the hardest rocking music in all 8 galaxies. So crank it up and make those ships go BOOM!"
Maybe news shorts or "traffic reports" that could occur occasionally while in-flight like..
"And if you're heading takes you through sector B2 in Galaxy 3 this morning, keep an eye peeled for space junk. Our Navy boys had a little dustup with the Thargoids last night and some regions are reporting drifting debris still loose in the main spacelanes. But right now, this song is going out to all the flygirls and flyboys in the Navy and the Reserve.."
Basically a playlist of several such items that had a low probability of something like a traffic report playing, maybe 2.5% or so, to avoid it being such a commonplace event that it would get annoying. It could add an interesting element if the player heard it and might not catch all of it because of assorted other game sounds and have to wonder if it was actually important.
Sleep? Who needs sleep? Got game. No need sleep.
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

I like the idea of traffic and travel reports!
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Arexack_Heretic
Dangerous Subversive Element
Dangerous Subversive Element
Location: [%H] = Earth surface, Lattitude 52°10'58.19"N, longtitude 4°30'0.25"E.

Post by Arexack_Heretic »

OoAmp! ;)
Riding the Rocket!
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Ganelon wrote:
Great OXP.
Thx :-)
Ganelon wrote:
.. it seems a bit incongruous to have a recurrent 12kcr fee to listen to CC license music, but eh, you're the creator of the OXP, so it's your call. Interesting statement though, when the ship's stereo costs about as much as putting on both fore and aft mil lasers or about 200 tons of food. Perhaps in the far flung fOoture, interests like the RIAA are even more unreasonable than they are in present times. :shock:
Hehe. Yes, the official license (and the additional license) is expensive - it's part of the companies dubious business policy.

<official>The price is fair, really .-) Maintaining the Hyperradio-Transmitter-Stations all around the galaxies costs a lot of ...errm... groopies money.
And we'll never say something about the ..errm... inofficial licenses that are offered from time to time (Snoopers2.x required) on a few planets.

We are offering a service without any additional costs for you (after purchasing the license and only for a limited time).
Don't read the small printed - it's not good for your eyes.</official>

But maybe you're right. The price was established when only a few equipment oxps were available. This has changed (Thargoid, what have you done - hehe). Any suggestions for the 3 licenses?
Ganelon wrote:
A couple of ideas. Maybe the Thought Police in Communist systems might hike the "offender" status of ships that pass close by them that are "importing subversive capitalist propaganda" by playing Hyperradio.
Nice idea, will have to talk with Dr.Nil and Eric.
Ganelon wrote:
For the stations, station IDs and liners could be fun, maybe something like..
Oh, and I've thought about jingles and liners a while ago and even tried to produce one, but dropped this idea - it was a disaster. Though I'd agree - this would add a pretty nice element, if rarely used.
Porksmuggler
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Porksmuggler »

^ They're not the only ones capable of dubious business practices, with a small edit to the transaction software, Hyperradio can be had for a song ;)
punny, punny, thank you.

I have mine set a couple orders of magnitude lower, but I think dropping a zero would be fair:

EQ_HYPER_RADIO - 1200,0

EQ_HYPER_RADIO_ADD - 800,0

EQ_HYPER_RADIO_PIRATE - 200,0 (though I haven't seen this one yet in game)
i5 750::ASUS P7P55D Pro::G.SKILL F3-12800CL7D-4GBRH::Samsung F3 500GB::Sapphire 4850X2::Corsair 650TX::Thermaltake Tsunami::Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus::LG 32LF11
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Porksmuggler wrote:
I have mine set a couple orders of magnitude lower, but I think dropping a zero would be fair:
Hehe thought nearly the same .-)

The next version will come with lower prices. The pirate license is currently only offered (rare) if you don't have a license and Snoopers has displayed the right newflash. This license is then available at two randomly picked systems (as shown in the newsflash) for a limited time. I think I'll change this one too, so it gets offered for users with license too.
myst.RAVEN
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by myst.RAVEN »

Here's another idea, inspired by the "communist aversion to capitalist subversion" idea mentioned above, just sort of the converse. However, it would probably require quite a lot of work: voice acting and sound engineering (hmmmm... PAGroove does spring to mind... :wink:)

How about government/economy-based broadcasts? For example, communist states or dictatorships could often interrupt the regular program with propaganda messages - would make a great fit with the billboards of the same flavour... Corporates systems, then, could play the odd commercial (pleeeease not at the same sort of frequency as IRL :P), a democratic state could feature a broadcast giving updates on an election (cliche, yes, but just tossing ideas around here), and so forth. And this is just the political side of it - the economy type could also play a part.

Anyway, I understand the probable magnitude of such an undertaking, so it is probably doomed to remain a pipe dream... Still, one CAN dream :D
Commander MultiplePersonalityDisorder: Flying around various galactic sectors, in a variety of ships, with a variety of lifestyles and professions...

Full throttle and fuel injectors - now THAT's the way to park!
Ganelon
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ganelon »

Might be possible by having a small station playlist for each of the different types of planet likely to make use of such a thing and then the program might check for a small random chance and if it was successful it could switch to the local propaganda station. Basically, your radio just got hijacked until you switch it back to something you'd rather listen to.

Other than the ones already mentioned, Multi-government might be doing pitches to attract tourism, Feudal might be pushing museums and the opportunity to steep yourself in a culture rich in traditions and grandeure or something like that. Anarchies might be more like Las Vagas.. "What you do in this star system, stays in this star system.." or "What you see here, what you do here.. Stays here when you leave here. Remember that snitches have short life spans."

But I'm not sure as those sorts of developments would fit better in Hyperradio or in the BGS. Since BGS is already set up for custom music/sound for specific space stations (if I understand it correctly), it'd be another way it could be done that could be more fine tuned, but a lot more work than general poli-sys feel.
Sleep? Who needs sleep? Got game. No need sleep.
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

mast.RAVEN wrote:
Anyway, I understand the probable magnitude of such an undertaking, so it is probably doomed to remain a pipe dream... Still, one CAN dream :-)
It only needs someone to produce these jingles, liners .-)
Ganelon wrote:
But I'm not sure as those sorts of developments would fit better in Hyperradio or in the BGS. Since BGS is already set up for custom music/sound for specific space stations (if I understand it correctly), it'd be another way it could be done that could be more fine tuned, but a lot more work than general poli-sys feel.
Yes, BGS has the ability to grab a music entry for specific stations, e.g. a Convenience store can play different background music. It only needs a entry in shipdata.plist and a music file.
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

v1.20 is online.

Changes:
- News handling changed
- More consistent naming in the texts (hyperradio HyperRadio)

I've also noticed a bug in Snoopers - this is already fixed and a new version will be uploaded soon. For the Commies thing I'm waiting now for Dr.Nil. As he's not active anymore this can take a while. I have already had a small talk with Eric and he's waiting for a long time for an answer from Dr.Nil right now.
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

I haven't heard from Doc in ages - I still have a PM sat in my outbox waiting to go - and that's over 3 months ago... :(
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here