[Release] Addons for Beginners

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Re: [Release] Addons for Beginners

Post by Disembodied »

Mazur wrote:
Made a succesful run to Zaonce, got back in one piece to Lave [...]
Lave is a Dictatorship system. Even though it's the system you start from, it's not often a friendly place to fly back to.
Mazur
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Mazur »

Disembodied wrote:
Mazur wrote:
Made a succesful run to Zaonce, got back in one piece to Lave [...]
Lave is a Dictatorship system. Even though it's the system you start from, it's not often a friendly place to fly back to.
Realised that after I dropped back in, but was lucky: pirates were harassing a cruise liner, who had to make do without my aid, for now.
Going back to Zaonce, more more, with an almost full cargo hold, and from there will seek a safer milkrun. And approach the station a little more cautiously, this time, I've already once returned but fscked up the rotation, because I've altered the control keys. :oops: :lol:
Which reminds me, I need to start up a thread about the ins and outs of Traffic Control, but I'll do that in Discussions.
User Mazur, Commander Vatta, Hyperspace Delivery Boy.
Squeaky clean, utterly harmless, rank amateur.
Lone_Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lone_Wolf »

Easy way to dock with main station :

Line up with the buoy
fly towards the station, target the centre of the docking bay
come to full stop, request clearance
Once you got clearance, gently (say 1/2 speed) move towards docking bay
- improve alignment with center of docking bay
when alignment is good enough for you, gently proceed until you are very close to docking bay and come to a full stop.

Wait until station rotation brings docking bay to correct position
go full speed or use fuel injectors
Docked safely

With fuel injectors this is very easy, without them it's not hard though.

OXPs : My user page

Retired, reachable at [email protected]
Layne
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Layne »

Mazur wrote:
Going back to Zaonce, more more, with an almost full cargo hold, and from there will seek a safer milkrun.
Among the best milk-runs in Galaxy One is the Xexedi to Laenin route. The worlds are near-opposite economies and within less than one light year of one another. Laenin isn't an entirely safe system but since the two are so close, you should have plenty of fuel left after each jump to ride the injectors as much as you need to outrun any trouble between the Witchpoint and the main station!
Reports of my death have been greatly underestimated.
Mazur
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Mazur »

Layne wrote:
Mazur wrote:
Going back to Zaonce, more more, with an almost full cargo hold, and from there will seek a safer milkrun.
Among the best milk-runs in Galaxy One is the Xexedi to Laenin route. The worlds are near-opposite economies and within less than one light year of one another. Laenin isn't an entirely safe system but since the two are so close, you should have plenty of fuel left after each jump to ride the injectors as much as you need to outrun any trouble between the Witchpoint and the main station!
Thanks. Did the Isinore-Ensoreus for a bit, but in Isinore I only reached the station three times in nine tries. Currently heading over to your suggestion, arrived at Lave; having just bought a towbar, I engaged in a rescue mission, there's a Medical ship waiting for me behind Lave station, I found it once, but fscked up the docking, (I've purchased ILS, as it's cheap, and rolling didn't react once near and in the station. Was just a few meters away from success. ;-) ), now I'm trying to do the tow again, but I can't find the damn ship anywhere. It doesn't show up on the radar, and every yellow marker I investigate is a ship under power, every yellow/green marker is a buoy, of course, so where _is_ it? Any suggestions?
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

Post by Norby »

Mazur wrote:
I've purchased ILS, as it's cheap, and rolling didn't react once near and in the station.
ILS is not touch the roll contorls so you should be able (and must) roll by hand. At least theoretically and on my machine. ;)
Mazur wrote:
I'm trying to do the tow again, but I can't find the damn ship anywhere.
This mission is a small bonus, aimed to teach how to use the Towbar and available one time only (probably another ship saved the Moray meantime). You should go and salvage other derelict ships, usually pirates forced to eject by you.
Mazur
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Mazur »

Norby wrote:
Mazur wrote:
I've purchased ILS, as it's cheap, and rolling didn't react once near and in the station.
ILS is not touch the roll contorls so you should be able (and must) roll by hand. At least theoretically and on my machine. ;)
Yes, it was probably a system busy type hiccup,
Norby wrote:
Mazur wrote:
I'm trying to do the tow again, but I can't find the damn ship anywhere.
This mission is a small bonus, aimed to teach how to use the Towbar and available one time only (probably another ship saved the Moray meantime). You should go and salvage other derelict ships, usually pirates forced to eject by you.
No, I meant, I restart from the save file in Lave, where I had just accepted the mission. So I'm _on_ the mission, and keep getting reminded the Moray Medical Boat is waiting for me, first time round there were two white dots, one of which was the Boat, but after loading the save file it's nowhere to be found.
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Norby »

Mazur wrote:
I restart from the save file in Lave, where I had just accepted the mission.
Well, it is a bug - you shouldn't be reminded when the ship is not there anymore, but as soon as you jump to another system you will get the correct mission failed message.

But I guess you want the opposite, which mean a guaranteed ship (and less reality). This is possible but not officially supported due to going against the previous, more risky way (which is preferred by me). To get this you should restore a savegame from before you accepted the mission. If you have not any then edit your .oolite-save file and change the value after $TowbarMission1 to 0. Then accept the mission again when offered next time and do it without reload.
Mazur
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Mazur »

Norby wrote:
Mazur wrote:
I restart from the save file in Lave, where I had just accepted the mission.
Well, it is a bug - you shouldn't be reminded when the ship is not there anymore, but as soon as you jump to another system you will get the correct mission failed message.

But I guess you want the opposite, which mean a guaranteed ship (and less reality). This is possible but not officially supported due to going against the previous, more risky way (which is preferred by me). To get this you should restore a savegame from before you accepted the mission. If you have not any then edit your .oolite-save file and change the value after $TowbarMission1 to 0. Then accept the mission again when offered next time and do it without reload.
Much obliged. It's a matter of honour, sort of, to have been offered that mission, and accepted it, to do it properly, this time not failing due to things not working as they should. [pause for mission] Success! :D Just towed them in, having shut ILS off for certainty on approach. Now I can rest easy, knowing that they are safe, and continue to try to find that Main Station in Leesti. All I found so far was Rock Rats.
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Norby »

Smivs [url=https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=17588#p239314]here[/url] wrote:
Sadly, some around here think they know best and as you've found, they don't
<Looking around> ... me? Ok, but not exclusively, just as a backup due to there are no other candidates who take the job of selection. I like the criticism and I will be more happy if I must do the handwork only and the whole community would be the head of this project. I am still waiting to discuss if any of the included packages should be reconsidered.
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

It's not about what should be included in such a package. It's about the package itself. You won't get much feedback about the content from people who clearly don't like the idea of a beginner's package to begin with.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Norby, I admire your persistence with this, and your willingness to collaborate, but believe me, this is a thankless task.
I speak from bitter personal experience, as some time ago I tried to lead a move towards a comprehensive list of OXPs suitable for new players. The discussion was wrecked by a mix of an apparent lack of understanding of what I was trying to achieve, individuals trying to push their own agendas and blind prejudice.
I gave up trying after a few days (in disgust) and frankly came closer to leaving this community then than at any other time. The truth is a genuinely good, thought-through and appropriate list of suitable OXPs will never be agreed on. This saddens me enormously because all we have left is a daft system where anyone can say anything is good for newcomers and get away with it, and the new players are not getting the good advice and help they so obviously want.
This is why I am strongly against any 'New Players' lists and Compilations, specially ones available through the Manager which I think gives them a veneer of acceptability.
I think we all know by now what the generally accepted advice is so I won't repeat it here, but I do feel compelled to mention that this thread is slipping down page 1 rapidly, and if we are going to Sticky it, now might be a good time.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

I'll try to be a bit more constructive here :) . What does a beginner's pack exactly mean? I think that a player defines him/herself as a beginner when he/she has just installed the game. Then he/she looks at the expansion list and a beginner's pack catches his/her eye. And it gets installed. Is that what we really want to happen? I don't. The only oxps out there that I would like to have installable right from the start are Griff's normalmapped ships and stuff because there are people out there that want to turn the knobs to eleven and then start to play.

So in short my problem is essentially the name that seriously lures to install this monster right from the start. There are other games out there that are close to unplayable without a beginners mod back and the name here implies that this pack is like those. Oolite is different, it does not need any beginners mod pack to get started with. Well, maybe 'knobs to eleven' pack might be nice. :mrgreen:
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

spara wrote:
So in short my problem is essentially the name that seriously lures to install this monster right from the start.
<nods> That is part of my problem with it too. The debate about recommended lists will go on, of course - but to be frank, I'd prefer such lists/packs to only be available via the Wiki (accompanied by a detailed description of exactly what each element does), not from the in-game manager. Only my opinion, of course!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Argon0
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Post by Argon0 »

Hi!

First off want to say that I am amazed Oolite exists - been looking for a refresh for Elite for a while, which I could introduce my Sons too on Ubuntu, and here it was all along!

Been playing it for a couple of days, and started to look at the addons. Checked out a few of them and liked the look/thought of additional planets, and some of the other graphical niceties in the Addons for Beginners pack, so started to install them on my Sons' machines....

BUT a few dependencies seem to break the metapackage -particularly Camera Drones.. Which, on further investigation, no longer seems to exist/be hosted on the Wiki server.

Any chance of this being fixed anytime soon?

In the meantime I will revert to adding all the packages I can from the list manually, well those that take my fancy...

<cheers>

Argon0