Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Split: Assassins

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Split: Assassins

Post by spara »

Falcon777 wrote:
cim wrote:
With them being new, very few OXP ships have the assassin role, so something that can take on a Supercobra isn't going to show up.
Eh, fair enough. I play the courier role for the excitement of how far I can push adding in more packages and the timing of it all than the random fights against poor assassins. If I want a tough fight I go to the closest navy station and go on a run against the thargoids, or I pick up a high profile bounty from the closest bounty hunter station.
If you are looking for tougher assassins, try RandomHits + RandomHits Shipset. It has some rare nasty assassins defined. Also Simon B's Favourites has a couple of assassins defined.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Falcon777 wrote:
... random fights against poor assassins.
You're flying a Supercobra, yes? Not really much of a contest, I agree.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Falcon777 wrote:
If I want a tough fight I go to the closest navy station and go on a run against the thargoids, or I pick up a high profile bounty from the closest bounty hunter station.
Heh heh heh.. If you want a really tough fight, install the HIMSN alpha, then loiter near a HIMSN naval base without an invitation.. but be warned, they have long memories.. :twisted: :mrgreen:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Venator Dha
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Venator Dha »

Question / Suggestion / Request.

Would it be possible for someone who knows what they are doing (not me :) ) to expand [EliteWiki] DeepSpacePirates to include Assassins and Bounty Hunters?
Taurus Driving through the galaxy since... .
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Not only possible, but probably quite easy.
But not by me I'm afraid.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

Venator Dha wrote:

Would it be possible for someone who knows what they are doing (not me :) ) to expand [EliteWiki] DeepSpacePirates to include Assassins and Bounty Hunters?
Not sure about assassins and bounty hunters, what are they lurking in deep space? But I would like to see a wider variety of pirate-roles used. Pirate freighter for example would feel quite natural in deep space. With the current version, the lonely pirates I meet in deep space seem to be going past me at high speed.
Neelix
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Neelix »

spara wrote:
Venator Dha wrote:

Not sure about assassins and bounty hunters, what are they lurking in deep space? But I would like to see a wider variety of pirate-roles used. Pirate freighter for example would feel quite natural in deep space. With the current version, the lonely pirates I meet in deep space seem to be going past me at high speed.
If there are deep space pirates wouldn't it make sense for there to be bounty hunters preying on them?

- Neelix
Talaxian Enterprises: [wiki]Vacuum Pump[/wiki] [wiki]Waypoint Here[/wiki]
Venator Dha
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Venator Dha »

spara wrote:
Not sure about assassins and bounty hunters, what are they lurking in deep space?
<Handwaveium> Assassins not lurking but doing other business, returning from another kill, chased off into deep space, returning from a rock hermit.
Bounty Hunters are of course after the pirates :D .
spara wrote:
But I would like to see a wider variety of pirate-roles used. Pirate freighter for example would feel quite natural in deep space. With the current version, the lonely pirates I meet in deep space seem to be going past me at high speed.
Agree
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

Venator Dha wrote:
spara wrote:
Not sure about assassins and bounty hunters, what are they lurking in deep space?
<Handwaveium> Assassins not lurking but doing other business, returning from another kill, chased off into deep space, returning from a rock hermit.
Bounty Hunters are of course after the pirates :D .
spara wrote:
But I would like to see a wider variety of pirate-roles used. Pirate freighter for example would feel quite natural in deep space. With the current version, the lonely pirates I meet in deep space seem to be going past me at high speed.
Agree
Main issue here is the very nature of Oolite. It's a sandbox that has ships coming and going regardless of players actions. Deep Space Pirates itself violates that principle by spawning ships in front of the player, but it does that for a reason. To up the risk when flying outside the populated routes. I would not go very far trying to create an illusionary world outside the lines, I would just add some random stuff there that is potentially dangerous to the player and which existence can be handwaved so that it does not bother the player.

With this extremely player centric thought I could see that there would mostly be pirates and asteroids as they are dangerous to all players, but not hunters or assassins as they are not dangerous to all.

A whole different thing would be to create a player centric oxp that would try to mimic a fully populated space. I don't think DeepSpacePirates should be changed to that direction, it would be better to do a different oxp, that could of course be based on DeepSpacePirates.
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

spara wrote:
there would mostly be pirates and asteroids as they are dangerous to all players
Quite a few players in 1.80 will find themselves not being attacked by pirates.
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

cim wrote:
spara wrote:
there would mostly be pirates and asteroids as they are dangerous to all players
Yes. I've noticed that. Maybe DeepSpacePirates should have AI of it's own that always attacks the player. How about the heavy flavours of pirates, how eager are they to attack the player?
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

It's not so much about how tough the player is compared with the pirates but about the player's effective role. Pirates only - except if adjusted by OXP - attack traders (including smugglers but not couriers) and bounty hunters - if the player is acting as a miner, or a pirate, or an assassin then pirates will generally leave them alone.
Venator Dha
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Venator Dha »

cim wrote:
spara wrote:
This^^ is precisely why I am suggesting it. My courier is now flying an Asp so Pirates won't attack it, and as a courier I 'won't' attack them.
spara wrote:
A whole different thing would be to create a player centric oxp that would try to mimic a fully populated space. I don't think DeepSpacePirates should be changed to that direction, it would be better to do a different oxp, that could of course be based on DeepSpacePirates.
I don't care how it is done, another OXP would be fine. I see however that there is a need for some mechanism to address a change coursed by the AI changes in 1.80
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

cim wrote:
It's not so much about how tough the player is compared with the pirates but about the player's effective role. Pirates only - except if adjusted by OXP - attack traders (including smugglers but not couriers) and bounty hunters - if the player is acting as a miner, or a pirate, or an assassin then pirates will generally leave them alone.
Would it be possible to reveal the current assumed role of the player to javascript? That way DeepSpacePirates could be converted to DeepSpaceDangers that would spawn ships dangerous to the player.
Neelix
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Neelix »

I'm curious what it takes to change the assumed role? I'm guessing pirates won't suddenly lose interest in you if you fire on an asteroid....

- Neelix
Talaxian Enterprises: [wiki]Vacuum Pump[/wiki] [wiki]Waypoint Here[/wiki]