Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Smivs' OXPs and Oolite v1.80/1.82

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

UK_Eliter
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Essex (mainly industrial and occasionally anarchic)

Re: Smivs' OXPs and Oolite v1.80

Post by UK_Eliter »

Alright all.

I'm afraid that once again downloading Aliens in-game appears not to be working

Code: Select all

[oxz.manager.error]: Downloaded OXZ does not contain a manifest.plist, has been left in C:\Oolite/oolite.app/GNUstep/Library/Caches/org.aegidian.oolite/Oolite-download.oxz
But possibly it is something to do with my computer setup . . (Windows x64, Qihoo 360 anti-virus).
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Hmmm, might be your end - Aliens has been downloaded 148 times, so I think it is OK. :wink:
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Progress report:-
My on-going project is a major overhaul of Giant Space Pizza, and is going well. The old main script has been completely re-written mainly to bring it up to date by using the new populator function. In fact the original was a bit of a mess, and the new script is much tidier, and a little shorter as well despite my adding a few features.
I have added Safety Steward ships to the Pizza Systems, who will give you good advice and ensure that your visit is safe and goes well. There are also a few 'under-the-hood' changes that won't be noticed by most people, but generally improve the mission screen handling under various circumstances, and remove an exploit that existed in the earlier versions.
Everything seems to be working, but I just want to do a run where I visit all the pizzas to confirm no errors have crept in. This should not take too long as I have a very fast test ship :wink:
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Smivs wrote:
I have a very fast test ship :wink:
Sounds like code for a certain "scanner", to me.. :wink: :lol:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Actually it's not. It's a Contractor with magic fuel tanks - magic fuel tanks refill themselves after every witchjump :shock: :D
(And, NO! I won't be releasing the OXP anytime soon)
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

<chuckles> Nice! :lol:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
demon59
Above Average
Above Average

Post by demon59 »

Will the updated shipset still contain the customizable Player Cobra III? This was one of the main reasons I preferred your shipset as a replacement set and used others as additions only.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Hi demon59,
at this point I don't know about the player Cobra III, but there is no reason why not as it is easy enough to add into the OXP. It is a popular feature so will probably stay in.
As I mentioned above somewhere this project will take some time as I will need to go right back to first principles and start the texturing from scratch if I'm going to achieve what I want. I am also going to have to juggle this with other projects - I am currently testing the updated Giant Space Pizza and am very keen to get the Gorgon Cruiser finished off as that project has been around far too long now as a WIP. Also I should start trying to sort out Xeptatl's Sword which is going to stretch my abilities to (but hopefully not beyond!) my limits.
demon59
Above Average
Above Average

Post by demon59 »

You've mentioned the Gorgon Cruiser several times. Does it have a WIP thread? Some concept art, perhaps? :D
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Ha, yes I've been working on this for it seems like years now, with a lot of help from Commander McLane and Shipbuilder who modeled it. It has been mentioned a lot around the Board, but finding stuff can be hard. Basically it is a Capital player ship which has a detachable shuttle section so you can dock - the mothership is far too big. It is very close to being ready, but there have been a whole series of setbacks. CML seems to be away at the moment, but I'm hoping we can get a Beta out in the not-too-distant future.
This is an external view of the player ship with an NPC behind it.

demon59
Above Average
Above Average

Post by demon59 »

Whoa! Very nice! :shock:

The upper portion of the superstructure detaches to become the shuttle?

I imagine the release of this should stop some of the complaints about "not enough to spend money on, in game"! :lol:

Overhaul and repair fees should be interesting, to say the least.

Very ambitious project, my friend. Can't wait to see how it turns out. Is it simply a stand-alone ship offering, or the centerpiece of a mission?
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

demon59 wrote:
The upper portion of the superstructure detaches to become the shuttle?
That's correct. The shuttle itself is quite big - Python size roughly.
demon59 wrote:
Is it simply a stand-alone ship offering, or the centerpiece of a mission?
Just a ship. The 'mission' is learning how to attach the Shuttle - that can seem impossible to start with although with practice it gets much easier.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Smivs wrote:
The 'mission' is learning how to attach the Shuttle - that can seem impossible to start with although with practice it gets much easier.
A special HUD screen maybe? One that just shows your alignment, or lack thereof, with the mother ship?

Yes, probably not practical without changes to core, I know.. :wink:
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Diziet Sma wrote:
A special HUD screen maybe? One that just shows your alignment, or lack thereof, with the mother ship?

:
Funny you should say that..... :wink:
mossfoot
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mossfoot »

Wouldn't a variation of docking lights help? Something beamed from the ship to guide the shuttle to land?
--
Pilot: Mossfoot - Ship ID: Viaticus Rex (Cobra MKII)

http://www.noahchinnbooks.com/