Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Re: Elite: Dangerous - and the return

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Re: David Braben's Elite: Dangerous - Kickstarter!

Post by Cody »

Diziet Sma wrote:
... we need somebody firmly in the conservative keep-it-real camp from amongst the more mainstream crew ... El Viejo for a spot.
Only one word for that bloody suggestion, Diz - gertcha!!!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

I had to look that up.. too long away from Auld Blighty, I guess.. :mrgreen:

Like I said, sorry mate.. sincerely.. I hate dumping it on you, but seriously, I regard you as one of the most qualified people we have for such a spot. Even your test-pilot work is valuable. You're a player, first and foremost, and you have a good grasp of what makes good gameplay.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Cody

Post by Cody »

Once more, from the top - gertcha!
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

<chuckles> Ok..

I can see an interesting problem developing here.. we all want somebody on the design team, but nobody wants to be the bunny who gets the short straw. :lol:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Cody

Post by Cody »

Diziet Sma wrote:
... but nobody wants to be the bunny who gets the short straw.
The Douglas Adams criterion should apply here (paraphrased): anyone who wants to do it, shouldn't be allowed anywhere near it!
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Gimi wrote:
As to get someone on the design forum, I would certainly support this even though I have already pledged a bit more than I probably should have. But as ClymAngus says, the question is who. I'm not going to nominate anyone, apart from saying that I think it should be someone from the "Elite Conservative" faction. That probably includes most of the people on this forum though.
As I have pledged £500, I will be on the design forum. :)
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

El Viejo wrote:
Diziet Sma wrote:
The Douglas Adams criterion should apply here (paraphrased): anyone who wants to do it, shouldn't be allowed anywhere near it!
You're only pulling yourself deeper in the soup, old friend. You clearly don't want it, thus you just qualified. :wink:

(Except if you actually want it, but know the Douglas Adams criterion, you'd really loudly voice your opposition, in order to force us to select you. Thus the DAc applies.) <head asplodes>

But seriously: pending their being interested, I'd suggest Giles or Jens.

JazHaz wrote:
As I have pledged £500, I will be on the design forum. :)
And have a space station named after you! :shock: COol!

So we have our first representative (well, if JazHaz chooses to represent the forum's views, anyway).

drew wrote:
Given Elite:Dangerous, whither Oolite?
No question for me: my loyalty belongs to Oolite, I'm not going anywhere.

Also, as long as Elite:Dangerous is a Windows-only game, there isn't a competition anyway.

Griff wrote:
It worries me a bit about Elite:Dangerous' possible 500 game shaping kickstarters - that's too many voices,
Actually, it's possibly 895, because you have to count the higher tiers as well.

Thus it's a good idea to get more than one of us in there. As I've said before, I'd contribute, I just can't use Paypal.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

El Viejo wrote:
Diziet Sma wrote:
I think he stole it from Heinlein..
Cody

Post by Cody »

Diziet Sma wrote:
El Viejo wrote:
Yep... I reckon! Much stuff has been borrowed from Heinlein... as he himself borrowed from those before him.
Commander McLane wrote:
El Viejo wrote:
You're only pulling yourself deeper in the soup, old friend. You clearly don't want it, thus you just qualified.
(Except if you actually want it, but know the Douglas Adams criterion, you'd really loudly voice your opposition, in order to force us to select you. Thus the DAc applies.) <head asplodes>
Heh... how many layers of the onion do you want?
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

I must admit I thought about pledging enough for becoming a 'design decision' member. I could afford it, and I'm very interested in the outcome, but I don't think I'm best placed to do it. I went for a £40, get my name in the database slot. A small dose of 'me' in the final game, assuming it happens.

I have passing fondness for newtonian physics, rather miffed that I can't have a laser cooling booster and I'm also partial to a bit of eye-candy. The sense of, erm, space works for me. I'll admit to hacking Commander McLane's rail gun so it was more powerful and used less ammo, because... that's what I wanted... and because the devs had decided that I couldn't hack the lasers - not without becoming rather a lot more expert in source code than I have time for.

I do like the dogfighting from Elite and would like to see that preserved, but I don't often play Oolite as a game, more as a convenient version of Elite that looks much prettier than the original. I'm also mucking around with Pioneer at the moment, because I enjoy the 'realism' (well, the bits that are arguably 'realistic'). The planet landing and landscapes 'do' it for me alone.

As such, I think I'm distinctly unqualified to define what would make a great game for the majority. I'd tend to want to make a great game for me, which is probably not the same thing.

Now, if Mr. Braben would like to commission a Novella, that's something else. :lol:

Cheers,

Drew.
Last edited by drew on Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Drew is an author of SF and Fantasy Novels
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
Gimbal Locke
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimbal Locke »

El Viejo wrote:
Diziet Sma wrote:
El Viejo wrote:
Yep... I reckon! Much stuff has been borrowed from Heinlein... as he himself borrowed from those before him.
The principle goes back to Aristotle, when he said that in a true democracy the leaders should be appointed by a lottery because elections leads to an Oligarchy (the candidates are people who want power, so candidates should not get it). (In ancient Athens, the civilian leaders were appointed by lottery, the military leaders were elected by the troops.)

A.C. Clarke also uses this principle in "The Songs of Distant Earth".
Last edited by Gimbal Locke on Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cody

Post by Cody »

drew wrote:
I'll admit to hacking Commander McLane's rail gun so it was more powerful...
I did that - gave the slugs a greater mass/density. Great fun - but only for test play, of course!
drew wrote:
Now, if Mr. Braben would like to commission a Novella, that's something else.
Ha - you wish!
Gimbal Locke wrote:
A.C. Clarke also uses this principle in "The Songs of Distant Earth".
That title brings to mind Heinlein's The Green Hills of Earth, the title of which he borrowed - which brings me to the sci-fi trivia - who the hell is Marmalade?
Last edited by Cody on Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

El Viejo wrote:
Commander McLane wrote:
El Viejo wrote:
You're only pulling yourself deeper in the soup, old friend. You clearly don't want it, thus you just qualified.
Heh... how many layers of the onion do you want?
Well, my head asploded after two layers, so I guess that's all I can take. :wink:
El Viejo wrote:
drew wrote:
I'll admit to hacking Commander McLane's rail gun so it was more powerful...
I did that - gave the slugs a greater mass/density. Great fun - but only for test play, of course!
Tut, tut, tut. Naughty boys! 8)
Should I admit that I hacked Commander McLane's Killit missile so it automatically replaces itself after being fired? - Nah, I'll keep that a secret. :mrgreen:

Again seriously: I was suggesting Giles and Jens, because they certainly know a lot about game development in general and Oolite in particular, they have both been lead developers of Oolite, certainly have an artistic vision of the game, enjoy a lot of respect and trust from the comOonity (well, at least from me), and seem therefore suited to be sort of spokespersons. Also, they're both retired, and may not want to involve themselves so deeply anymore. They could only answer this themselves.

Which brings me to the question, who is currently the lead developer? I suppose that officially this post is still vacant. De facto, however, it seems that cim has assumed many of the duties associated with that role. What does the development team think about this?
Last edited by Commander McLane on Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Commander McLane wrote:
But seriously: pending their being interested, I'd suggest Giles or Jens.
Not even a little bit.
Commander McLane wrote:
Which brings me to the question, who is currently the lead developer? I suppose that officially this post is still vacant.
I think of cim as the current lead “feature developer”. I’m in charge of back-seat driving and, to a large extent, technical improvements and housekeeping.
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

If i won the lottery i'd pledge £3000 and finally we could get a planet called 'arse' back into the game, have that mr braben and your galaxy seed generator