[RELEASE] New Cargoes OXP (1.2.3 released 9 February 2013)

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Capt. Murphy
Commodore
Commodore

Re: [RELEASE] New Cargoes OXP (1.0.5 released 17 April 2012)

Post by Capt. Murphy »

Hi,

There also appears to be an unrelated bug in New Cargoes 1.05 in that a penalty was applied on launching with controlled goods in the normal hold from a station at which I purchased both the goods and an import permit for a neighbouring system. I think the permit is supposed to apply at the system you make the purchase as-well (I'm pretty sure it did in 1.03).

Edit - OK the penalty was because the permit had a no corporate state condition. I bought it and the goods at a corporate state.

At the neighbouring system no penalty applied as expected.

Re Hypercargo - Illegal Goods Tweak is nearly ready for release (I had a working version Monday morning, but the code was a mess, so I've gone for a rewrite which is in final testing). The Hypercargo/New Cargoes compatibility section includes a check for stored permits in the Hypercargo. I'll try and get it out this morning so Thargoid can have a look if he needs too. Edit - it's released.

edit to add - just had this on docking at a Kiota station as-well.

Exception: ReferenceError: generic is not defined
Active script: CargoTypeExtension 1.0.5
cargotypestationkiotahabitat.js, line 39:
if (generic == "textiles" || generic == "slaves" || generic == "luxuries") {
[EliteWiki] Capt. Murphy's OXPs
External JavaScript resources - W3Schools & Mozilla Developer Network
Win 7 64bit, Intel Core i5 with HD3000 (driver rev. 8.15.10.2696 - March 2012), Oolite 1.76.1
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Capt. Murphy wrote:
There also appears to be an unrelated bug in New Cargoes 1.05 in that a penalty was applied on launching with controlled goods in the normal hold from a station at which I purchased both the goods and an import permit for a neighbouring system. I think the permit is supposed to apply at the system you make the purchase as-well (I'm pretty sure it did in 1.03).

Edit - OK the penalty was because the permit had a no corporate state condition. I bought it and the goods at a corporate state.
Okay, that's pretty funny, but still a bug. I'll fix that when I'm next looking at the permit code, at least for the genuine permits...
Capt. Murphy wrote:
edit to add - just had this on docking at a Kiota station as-well.
Thanks - will fix.
Capt. Murphy
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Capt. Murphy »

cim wrote:
Capt. Murphy wrote:
Okay, that's pretty funny, but still a bug. I'll fix that when I'm next looking at the permit code, at least for the genuine permits...
Well that's corporate states for you isn't it....give with one hand and take with the other... bunch of capitalist crooks....'lawful' systems indeed...too much like RL. :wink:
[EliteWiki] Capt. Murphy's OXPs
External JavaScript resources - W3Schools & Mozilla Developer Network
Win 7 64bit, Intel Core i5 with HD3000 (driver rev. 8.15.10.2696 - March 2012), Oolite 1.76.1
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

Is it only me, or is the link to New_Cargoes 1.0.5 broken. Cim's site seems to be down.
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Gimi wrote:
Is it only me, or is the link to New_Cargoes 1.0.5 broken. Cim's site seems to be down.
There's some firewall problems on the local network - it should be back to normal soon.
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

cim wrote:
Gimi wrote:
There's some firewall problems on the local network - it should be back to normal soon.
Thank you cim. Good to know.
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
BuggyBY
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by BuggyBY »

Speaking of Kiota stations, I've noticed that dealing in special cargoes is only possible in Solar, Research and Relay stations. Pressing F2 and F8 at Biosphere, Habitat, Mega-Habitat or Manufacturing stations only takes me to the normal cargo market.
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Re: [RELEASE] New Cargoes OXP (1.0.6 released 21 April 2012)

Post by cim »

1.0.6 is now released to fix some more bugs:
- Kiota stations having bad cargo definition scripts (Capt. Murphy and BuggyBY)
- Genuine permits on offer should now always work in their origin system (Capt. Murphy)
- Add notice on open contracts that HyperCargo is not yet compatible, while I look at a more complete fix (XLA)
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

I've just uploaded HyperCargo v1.07, which should be more fully compatible with New Cargoes now (including permits - the bit that was AWOL above).
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Not sure if this is a bug, but it doesn't look right to me. On the traders gossip screen, I saw this the other day. On the second line, "another galaxy to Inerra" (I'm in Galaxy 2).

New Cargoes bug by JazHaz, on Flickr
Last edited by JazHaz on Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

JazHaz wrote:
Not sure if this is a bug, but it doesn't look right to me.
The grammar's a bit off, which I'll fix the next time I update it, but the message is otherwise correct. It should say "Going from another galaxy to Inerra? Carry some Catnip if you can."

"another galaxy" replaces the usual export/import system hint if there is nowhere in the current galaxy that fits. Because system.infoForSystem can only be read within the current galaxy, I can't give more specific advice, but there are some interesting opportunities for profit here...
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Is it possible we have some shorter routes, with less risk/reward? It would be a route for people like me to get used to the workings of the OXP. I also think these should be starting from the current planet, rather than the current other_planet_1 to other_planet_2 route.
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Maybe 'Jumping galaxy to Inerra?' is a possible alternative.
However, I did understand 'another galaxy to Inerra?' as intended, so my advice might not be that useful...
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

JazHaz wrote:
Is it possible we have some shorter routes, with less risk/reward? It would be a route for people like me to get used to the workings of the OXP. I also think these should be starting from the current planet, rather than the current other_planet_1 to other_planet_2 route.
There are some shorter routes available (and the way it calculates them means that they are less rewarding, though still generally better than the basic Ind/Agri trade). Sometimes the rumours will help you find them (for instance, if a rumour says that a particular good can be traded X to Y, then if that good is sold here and Y is close by, you can also trade it from here to Y). The rumours are biased towards goods that are either imported or exported by the current system.

...based on that knowledge, I'm going to make a guess that you took that screenshot in Ramaza. Am I right?

Are you subscribed to TraderNet? If so, there's a subtle hint about trade routes on some of the messages (and a more obvious statement about short-term trade routes, of course). If not, you should be...

Most of the "easy" trade goods are derived from rules based on the planet's description on the F7 screen. The galaxy pages of [wiki]Oolite_planet_list[/wiki] can be very useful for quick searching, as can the PDF maps. Some of the rules are fairly obscure (I wouldn't expect anyone to guess the rule for Ceramics export) while others are fairly straightforward once you've found a couple of examples (Banana export, for instance, or Solar Shielding import), and other rules are hinted at in the trade good descriptions (e.g. Quirium Isotope import/export) - so you don't need to just use the rumours.

Other sources of inspiration for trade routes include the original Elite manual(s), Oolite fiction, other OXPs, and descriptive text from the Wiki. The aim is that if you find information about a trade route elsewhere, it will work in New Cargoes.

It's supposed to be quite a tricky OXP - basic trading is already quite profitable, and all the New Cargoes opportunities are considerably better than that in long-term reward if used properly, so for balance it needs to be quite difficult to find out how to use them optimally.
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

mm :roll: I bought Goat Soup at a planet that was producing it for 13.4 cr/tc after gossip in the bar that I could sell it well on some other planet. So I set of only to come at the end of a journey to sell it for the same price (13.4). So my question is: How long does the 'gossip' stay true. Or is is like real gossip up to you to investigate if it is a rumor or not. I wonder if a sort of Frontier like mechanism is possible. In frontier you had major Export and minor imports etc. It would help a little if you could see what they are. Of course this should be implemented in such a way that it is not spoiling all the fun.

But while I like this OXP immensely it is up to now difficult to make good profit.

BTW: Did you add planet descriptions in the OXP too? I noticed some custom F7 screens. Nice :).
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709