Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

[Release] Staer9's Shipset

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Staer9
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [Release] Staer9's Shipset

Post by Staer9 »

Gimi wrote:
You might want to have a look at staer9_ophidian_normal.png as well. One half comes up as transparent. May well be intentional for all I know, but looks a bit weird.
No, not intentional...

Those two are the two problematic textures, I'll release a small patch later for those that have the complete pack already and I'll also re-upload the main file.

I've also temporarily removed the download link from the wiki page.
Staer9
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Staer9 »

Texture patch:

Download

This fixes the two problematic textures and also inverts and tunes down the Cat normalmap (I thought it looked a bit silly and so did some other people)

just unzip it into the texture folder of the shipset and overwrite existing files.

remember to start oolite with the shift key held down.

Please let me know if this fixes the issues.
Capt. Murphy
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Capt. Murphy »

Staer9 wrote:
I redownloaded the whole OXP to be sure and no texture errors in the log.

Re the tearing issues they are present in trunk but not in 1.76.1 maintenance. I suspect it has something to do with Ahruman's work in progress synthesised shader code. I think he asked for feedback with regards to any entities what work in 1.76 but have problems in trunk - https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.ph ... 65#p163818

Edit to add - the tearing issues are cured in trunk by turning Shaders to off so I think it is Ahruman's new code.

Further - edit - came across tearing on the bushmaster miner in 1.76.1 so it's not all the new code. Right hand engine glow not displaying (left hand one was fine).
[EliteWiki] Capt. Murphy's OXPs
External JavaScript resources - W3Schools & Mozilla Developer Network
Win 7 64bit, Intel Core i5 with HD3000 (driver rev. 8.15.10.2696 - March 2012), Oolite 1.76.1
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Hey Staer9 Thank you for this chipset. Downloaded and installed. Very nice! :D
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
Staer9
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Staer9 »

Capt. Murphy wrote:
Staer9 wrote:
I redownloaded the whole OXP to be sure and no texture errors in the log.

Re the tearing issues they are present in trunk but not in 1.76.1 maintenance. I suspect it has something to do with Ahruman's work in progress synthesised shader code. I think he asked for feedback with regards to any entities what work in 1.76 but have problems in trunk - https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.ph ... 65#p163818

Edit to add - the tearing issues are cured in trunk by turning Shaders to off so I think it is Ahruman's new code.

Further - edit - came across tearing on the bushmaster miner in 1.76.1 so it's not all the new code. Right hand engine glow not displaying (left hand one was fine).
That makes sense, it was reported that my ships had tearing issues but griff's did not, so it is because mine use the in-built shader whereas griff's use custom shaders,

Thanks for that, now I can stop worrying and get to work on the Wolfies!
pagroove wrote:
Hey Staer9 Thank you for this chipset. Downloaded and installed. Very nice! :D
Glad you like them :D
Capt. Murphy
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Capt. Murphy »

By the way, I've corrected my earlier statement that normal maps work with no shaders, they don't. But your ships still look great even without the normal maps. :)
[EliteWiki] Capt. Murphy's OXPs
External JavaScript resources - W3Schools & Mozilla Developer Network
Win 7 64bit, Intel Core i5 with HD3000 (driver rev. 8.15.10.2696 - March 2012), Oolite 1.76.1
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Talisker wrote:
Hee hee, I decided to go the Python route, so ran backwards and forwards between Red World A and Cloudy World B until I finally broke the 200k-including-trade-in mark - at which point I docked, went to look at the ship market, and... the half-dozen or so Pythons I'd been eyeing up the last week had vanished.

All sold, apparently overnight.
Lol. Just what has happened to me. Been looking to upgrade from the standard Python, to a Python Class Cruiser. Lots of those available recently, but as soon as I have the 350kCr+ they've all gone. :roll:

I'm thinking it *may* be down to the fact I've removed the original PCC.OXP and replaced it with Staer9's shipset? Perhaps the chances of finding a PCC has changed between the two?
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

JazHaz wrote:
Lol. Just what has happened to me. Been looking to upgrade from the standard Python, to a Python Class Cruiser. Lots of those available recently, but as soon as I have the 350kCr+ they've all gone. :roll:

I'm thinking it *may* be down to the fact I've removed the original PCC.OXP and replaced it with Staer9's shipset? Perhaps the chances of finding a PCC has changed between the two?
I've tried altering the OXP to increase the chance of the PCC appearing in the shipyard, from 0.2 to 1.0, but still not seeing any PCCs in there. Could this be a bug in the OXP?
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
Cheers,
Drew.
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Increasing the 'chance' also increases the chance of optional equipment being fitted. By changing it to '1.0' you are likely to find all the ships in the 'showroom' have everything! :wink:
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Next thing I'm going to try is to remove all the ship OXPs except for Staer9's from my AddOns, and see if that works.

EDIT: That worked! :D
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
Cheers,
Drew.
Staer9
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Staer9 »

Well, you could *cough* hack your save file to remove all your equipment and 350,000 credits and change ship_desc to :staer9_python-cruiser-player.

seeing as there are no errors in the log such as "staer9_python-cruiser-player has no corisponding shipdata entry - ignoring" I can only presume that you are hugely unlucky :P
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

When you update the OXP, can you also change the version no. on the folder name please?

I know that the current release is v1.0.5, but the folder name just says v1.0.
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
Cheers,
Drew.
Duggan
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Duggan »

I felt the need to extoll the virtues of one of the possibly hidden treasures within this ship set.

If it's Aesthetics you're after you may well give the Cat Mark II a miss, however , it's under the bonnet that this craft really shines with no less than Six energy banks and a none too shabby speed. It's no kind of cargo hauler , as such, but if you fancy a career as bounty hunter, You could do a lot worse than this vessel :)
Flying Python Class Cruiser, Chapter & Verse IV
Staer9
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Staer9 »

Duggan wrote:
I felt the need to extoll the virtues of one of the possibly hidden treasures within this ship set.

If it's Aesthetics you're after you may well give the Cat Mark II a miss, however , it's under the bonnet that this craft really shines with no less than Six energy banks and a none too shabby speed. It's no kind of cargo hauler , as such, but if you fancy a career as bounty hunter, You could do a lot worse than this vessel :)
That is partially my fault (aesthetically), The cat was the final ship I made and textured, but also the first ship that I experimented with a new texture style (which I have to admit makes it look ugly), my lazyness to re-texture it resulted in the ugly mess that it is, but if you like it's performance (because generally people fly ships from the inside rather than from external veiws) then thats all that matters.
Duggan
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Duggan »

Please don't misunderstand me, I am indeed complimenting the Cat Mark II as some kind of bounty Hunters dream.

I am often called to mind of George Lucas's used Tech ethos. Where a lot of the tech is externally quiet battered and weather worn. It's the innards of the tech and what capabilities it has that is the Crux for me.

I am in all honesty , loving piloting the Cat Mark II and would say that it would be my preferred vessel , unless someone else might regard 6 energy banks as uber(I do not).

My self personally..I love it. I also like the Mussaranu for speed and manouverability but find the Three energy banks a little less durable.

This is a very high quality and extremely playable addition to the core ship set IMO and no small credit is due to the developers and contributors to this oxp. :)
Flying Python Class Cruiser, Chapter & Verse IV