Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Dream Weapon (No, I'm not proposing another OXP here)

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Re: Dream Weapon (No, I'm not proposing another OXP here)

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Capt. Murphy wrote:
I like the idea of cheap dummy missiles....I use the standard hard heads in exactly that way, but only when desperate given the cost.
In RL(tm) the explosive bit of a missile is the cheap bit. Sensor, guidance and propulsion are the expensive bits - so taking out the bang, shouldn't really reduce the cost much - although of course in RL(tm) we're talking about chemical explosives and not some Oolite-physics handwavium shield depleting warhead.
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Okti wrote:
What about a special bomb that will not kill the ships nearby but force them to get away from the player. (Retro rockets for NPC's) :) Will be too friendly to be called a weapon :lol:. But may save a lot of players from difficult situations.
I am already considering that one, both as a missile (against a single ship) and a bomb (more widespread in targetting).

When detonated they would give the affected ships a kick, as you say like retro rockets for the NPCs, but in a random direction (or away from the missile or bomb perhaps). The two are almost certainly going in.

I don't like the concept of the military missile (how does it know which targets are pirates?) and it seems dumb to me that a pirate would use one as a weapon anyway. The dummy missile is an idea, but for me that's the role that a normal missile has anyway (as almost everyone seems to have ECM these days). And as DH says, the costs may not be so realistic.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Thargoid wrote:
Come on you lot, lets have some more ideas.

I'm updating Armoury at the moment, and at least a couple of the less oblique ones may well end up being added (a stun missile rack and a void bomb are already in the updated version on my HD). And some sort of decoy and/or fake ships are also going to go in during this week.
What about this one?
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Commander McLane wrote:
Thargoid wrote:
Come on you lot, lets have some more ideas.

I'm updating Armoury at the moment, and at least a couple of the less oblique ones may well end up being added (a stun missile rack and a void bomb are already in the updated version on my HD). And some sort of decoy and/or fake ships are also going to go in during this week.
What about this one?
I just got around to playing with this, and unfortunately it's uncovered a bug.

If you try and access an NPC ships cargo levels via scripting (PS.target.cargoSpaceUsed using the console on an appropriately targetted trader NPC) it always returns zero (with PS.target.cargoSpaceCapacity and PS.target.cargoSpaceAvailable both returning the shipdata max) - basically until you actually destroy an NPC ship it doesn't have any cargo. Of course once you nuke it then pods get spawned as normal. Also PS.target.dumpCargo() always returns null (and the ship doesn't drop any cargo), presumably for much the same reason.

I'd rather do things by script than by AI switching, but at the moment that bug is a showstopper. Bug report has been raised on Berlios.
RyanHoots
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by RyanHoots »

I'd take an ECM-like weapon that would explode the targeted ship or object as if it were a missile. :twisted:
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

RyanHoots wrote:
I'd take an ECM-like weapon that would explode the targeted ship or object as if it were a missile. :twisted:
How about a death ray that kills just the crew with lots of horrific screaming and then the ship turns into a derelict. :twisted:
Take an idea from one person and twist or modify it in a different way as a return suggestion so another person can see a part of it that can apply to the oxp they are working on.

CommonSense 'Outside-the-Box' Design Studios Ltd.
WIKI+OXPs
RyanHoots
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by RyanHoots »

CommonSenseOTB wrote:
RyanHoots wrote:
How about a death ray that kills just the crew with lots of horrific screaming and then the ship turns into a derelict. :twisted:
:twisted:
Dragonfire
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Dragonfire »

RyanHoots wrote:
It's called a buzz bomb, RyanHoots. (Missiles and Bombs OXP)
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Armoury OXP actually (I'll correct you this time, as McLane did it last time).
Dragonfire
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Dragonfire »

Right. Okay, umm, then why...ok, I'm confused.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

OK, I've just updated Armoury to v1.08, with the following new items (some from this thread):

• Void bomb - mini black hole bomb.
  • Kicker missile - non-lethal missile which gives the target a shove away.
  • Cutpurse missile - non-lethal missile which causes cargo dumping.
  • Decoy mine - Ganelon's famous WTF balloons!
  • Stun missile rack - a triplet of mini stun missiles.
Enjoy...[/color]
Dragonfire
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Dragonfire »

A void bomb! *Wraps himself around Thargoid's ankle* THANK YOU!!!!!!!
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Just don't forget your fuel injectors - it'll suck you in as well if you let it :twisted:
Fatleaf

Post by Fatleaf »

Commander McLane wrote:
Eldon wrote:
Sounds like you only get the kill counted for your elite rating, not for things like taking out your random hits target.
Ah, I hadn't caught the Random Hits reference. And yes, the observation is true.

For the game a railgun projectile is not connected to the player ship, therefore none of the usual hit or kill events are triggered, and the OXP has to "manually" manipulate the appropriate game counters. Obviously that doesn't help other OXPs which rely on the normal triggers.

Spontaneously I'd say that's an unfixable glitch, and I can only advise you to not use your railgun for the final shot on a mission-relevant target, if the mission requires you to kill your target personally.
Is there any way of adding a trigger in the core game like was done for Iron Hide to accomodate for this?
Find out about the early influences of Fatleaf here. Also his OXP's!
Holds the Ooniversal record for "Thread Necromancy"
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Thargoid wrote:
OK, I've just updated Armoury to v1.08, with the following new items (some from this thread):

[*]Decoy mine - Ganelon's famous WTF balloons!

Enjoy...[/color]
There's a typo in the pirate-victim-roles file, so pirates probably won't actually be distracted by the decoys.